GDT: Au Revoir Gopher

Littlebill

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

They were 42 last year and they appear to be nearly as good as last year. Top 60 is a fair expectation.  In no universe is a road loss to a top 60 team considered a bad loss.  There'll probably be only 3 top 60 teams in our entire conference.

right, when someone like me says bad loss, this is meant as a loss you need to have, not bad like losing to norfolk state

Bills By 40 likes this

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

You're mistaking me for a college football fan. I think it's a dumb sport with a horrible system. I don't care what happens in CFB. My point is that there are 4 playoff spots and 5 power conferences. If people thought that any team outside those conferences would ever have a fair chance of playing for a title, they're sorely mistaken.

Even though the system around college basketball is much fairer, there's still a huge bias toward the more established, wealthy programs. This one loss could cost SLU multiple levels in seeding. Minnesota could lose the next 6 games but win most of the back half of its conference schedule and they're going to get a decent seed.

What record do you think gets us an 11 seed this season? I think we’ll be 22-3 or 21-4 at the end of the regular season. Let’s say we win 2 in the A10 tournament and lose in the final: 24-4 or 23-5 with wins over LSU, NC State, and Richmond. We’re looking at a 7 or 8 seed with that resume.

1 minute ago, AnkielBreakers said:

The problem with this game was that French went a little cold, 5/10, when they were clearly going at him with 1 guy. We needed to keep hitting him and Linssen inside until we forced them to commit an extra defender inside. It felt like we did not go to French enough in the second half. We wanted to dictate the game through our guards, and we failed. 

He went a little cold but late in the half they got him the ball inside and he scored. Too late to make a difference unfortunately. It worked so well in the first half this should have been their plan for the first few possessions in the second until it failed.

dlarry likes this

3 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Shooter?

There's a good chance we have him for three more years after this one. He's got the form to make shots. Whether or not he develops it remains to be seen. He's a terrific defender, a high wire act with his ability to get off the floor, and he's athletic enough to put the ball on the deck and score on the drive. As Hubie Brown would say, I think he has a lot of upside potential.

9 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

The problem with this game was that French went a little cold, 5/10, when they were clearly going at him with 1 guy. We needed to keep hitting him and Linssen inside until we forced them to commit an extra defender inside. It felt like we did not go to French enough in the second half. We wanted to dictate the game through our guards, and we failed. Perkins just wasn’t hitting, and GJ couldn’t get open. Goodwin did not catch fire from outside. I was confused down the stretch when Hargrove and Jacobs passed up on threes. I was surprised that we couldn’t get GJ open for 1 three. Just kind of a crappy game on our part. 
Credit goes to them. They took a new approach against us, and it worked. We now need to remind everyone that French can put up 30 points if you let him.

Out of reactions. Good post.

3 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

What record do you think gets us an 11 seed this season? I think we’ll be 22-3 or 21-4 at the end of the regular season. Let’s say we win 2 in the A10 tournament and lose in the final: 24-4 or 23-5 with wins over LSU, NC State, and Richmond. We’re looking at a 7 or 8 seed with that resume.

Depends on who those 3 losses are.  All it takes is for us to have a tough shooting night and the 8th place A10 team to go off and you've got a bad loss that drops you 15 spots in the NET rankings.   I like rankings for PR purposes but as far as advancing in the dance I don't think it means that much.  Just avoid the 8/9 game and I think we're good.

slufanskip likes this

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

Did anyone besides me truly believe we were going to be undefeated this year?

If we had won today I thought there’s was good chance with the only hurdle being at Richmond.

11 minutes ago, Fan Guy said:

Should drop At least 85 on them.

We dropped 82 tonight on a better team and we didn’t shoot very well. I think 85 is probably a little conservative.

8 hours ago, Schasz said:

Couple thinks in looking at the stats the Gophers made 22 more FT than the Bills. They also made 10 Treys while our guys made only 2.  We took OK care of the ball, but we had a horrible 2nd half on the road, and never could get anything going once we got down by double digits. Hope they have a good season and don't hurt our Tourney resume. I will say this about our team they never quit. Like I said before hope we learn something from this loss.

They scored 34 pts off FT’s. I don’t like blaming refs but that was a physical game. It does seem a bit one sided. 
We had a chance at around the 2:30 mark and down by 7. Gibby finally got an open look but missed badly. Knock it down it’s a new game down only 4. UM got to the line made both, down 9. 
Two biggest factors last night: no 3 pt game to speak of. And big disparity in FTs. 

22 minutes ago, slu72 said:

They scored 34 pts off FT’s. I don’t like blaming refs but that was a physical game. It does seem a bit one sided. 
We had a chance at around the 2:30 mark and down by 7. Gibby finally got an open look but missed badly. Knock it down it’s a new game down only 4. UM got to the line made both, down 9. 
Two biggest factors last night: no 3 pt game to speak of. And big disparity in FTs. 

That shot by Jimerson has me a bit concerned. He’s been missing badly a lot these last few games, and as another poster mentioned he’s shooting around 30% over our last four games. Not sure if he’s just a bit off or if it could be something bigger.

Also, I think the lack of 3pt success can directly be attributed to the fouls. Outside of Jimerson, Perkins is our best outside shooter. He sat for much of the second half with four fouls, one of which I clearly remember as a bs charging call. In fact, I don’t think Perkins was as ‘off’ as people are saying; the man was getting hit every time he touched the ball without a call. Then you add that up with some soft foul calls on him and you have a recipe for a bad game. 

Another note, why didn’t we try to get Jacobs more involved in the second half? Other games he’s been our spark plug when the offense is struggling and can hit the three. I would’ve liked to see something ran for him when both teams couldn’t buy a bucket around the ten minute mark.

5 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I’m not worried about Jimerson. That shot around the 2:30 mark was a rushed, off-balance shot. He makes those sometimes, but no shame in missing. 

I agree, it’s just the fact that it was an airball and he’s had quite a few bad misses as of late. Concerned probably isn’t the right word because he’s most likely fine, but just something I’ve noticed.

billikenbill likes this

if you look at the individual stats, it seems to me, a case can be made that jacobs should be back starting again in place of jimmmerson.  not saying that i have more confidence in jacobs shooting 3's, but i do have more confidence in pretty much every other aspect of the game.   if nothing else, we probably should see a few more minutes per game more from jacobs.   

that athleticism of jacobs cant be taught.   probably only stickland and hargrove can match his god given talent.   we shouldnt have it sitting on the bench 25 minutes a game.