GDT: Au Revoir Gopher

Littlebill

As crappy as most of us feel right now, there are a couple good things.

Fred Thatch showed some of his skill set tonight and I really think he could be a key piece on the second unit and as a tough defender. Goodwin was really, really good tonight.

Yes, I think this will be a bad loss. That said, I feel sorry for the A10 with this fire lit under our butts. 

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, slu72 said:

We still tried the inside but with our guards not the bigs. Our strength should be go the inside if it’s not there kick it out. Anyone see a lot of kickouts tonite? 

I should clarify the abandonment was on the part of not feeding French, not driving via guard play in pick and roll, etc. This is where Minnesota piled up many blocked shots on our guards 

The adjustments Pitino made at the half had something to do with us not scoring as much in the paint. 

one thing that was there in the second half that we never took advantage of was wide open guys on the perimeter if we would have kicked it out after penetrating instead of throwing up the contested shot in the lane.

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The committee overvaules the teams in the top half, but teams in the celler dont get that treatment.  Minnesota will most likely be one of those teams. Im not saying they are a bad team, im saying they will likely finish around .500.  If you think SLU is in fact the real deal, you will find this loss hard to swollow. On a normal year id say, tough loss. 

Minnesota will struggle to finish .500 in the Big Ten.  Frankly, I expect Minnesota will be a sub-.500 Big Ten team.  Minnesota is not as bad as it played at Illinois, and unfortunately is not as good as it played in stretches tonight.  

SLU was a 2.5 road favorite tonight.  The over of 146 was shattered by the 172 points scored.

I thought we had enough outside shooting redundancy to overcome an off night from one of the snipers.  Today they were both ineffective.  UM took JP out of his game by getting away with fouling him when he touched the ball and GJ was just off.  Once that happened UM shut down the interior.

Not going to be a bad loss on the road vs a B10 team that will probably be in the tournament.

Still might be ranked on MON as a lot of voters probably sent in their vote before this one ended as it didn't end until after 10PM Eastern

Everything went wrong in this game. Perkins struggled, Carr got off early and gave them confidence. We struggled against their size. They hit tough 3s and got bailed out. They were about .5 seconds from a 10 second call about five different times. A few notes:

• Bills can get the chip back on their shoulder. They won't be ranked tomorrow, they have something to work on between now and conference play, instead of just jogging through a rout of UMKC. 
  • Offense struggled to move the ball. Too much 1 on 1. Perkins needed to let the game come to him. When you're cold, try to get some easier shots
  • Man, that press was nasty. The Bills were super close to shifting the momentum. I really believe that open court steal that led to Goodwin's layup getting blocked was the key play in the game. We needed that one. 
  • Thatch for 15-20 mpg on Blake Francis, Ibi Watson, Sincere Carry, and Fatts Russell is going to make their lives miserable. He's a weapon. Some games he will be a non-factor but he has the chance to turn a lot of games for us. 
  • On those two notes, how about Ford brings pressure at around the 14:00 mark with Thatch and Hargrove off the bench? 

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Absolutely no chance this is considered a bad loss come tourney time. Forget place in the Big 10 where do you guys thing Minn will end the year as far as net ranking goes? 

Out of reactions but good post. After a few minutes to decompress I’m actually encouraged by the status of the team. We battled @ a Big Ten team despite what could be our worst shooting efforts of the season (and one of Minnesota’s best). We fought until the final buzzer and kept the score respectable (matters). Thatch gave some great minutes, especially on D. We have some great self-scouting opportunities.

Couple thinks in looking at the stats the Gophers made 22 more FT than the Bills. They also made 10 Treys while our guys made only 2.  We took OK care of the ball, but we had a horrible 2nd half on the road, and never could get anything going once we got down by double digits. Hope they have a good season and don't hurt our Tourney resume. I will say this about our team they never quit. Like I said before hope we learn something from this loss.

9 minutes ago, ChiBilliken14 said:

I think this is the most important factor between the two halves. First half we fed the inside game. Second half we abandoned it almost completely. Very frustrating knowing that was such a big weakness of theirs. 

We got all of our shots inside blocked second half. They protected the rim like crazy and our outside game was off. The fact we kept it close is a testament to these guys and their inability to give up. 

Just now, BJK said:

We got all of our shots inside blocked second half. They protected the rim like crazy and our outside game was off. The fact we kept it close is a testament to these guys and their inability to give up. 

I wonder how much the "let them play" attitude played into that. It's tough to drive or take the ball inside when you know you're going to get hammered and probably won't get the call. 

14 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Not saying it was you ... but just last game we had posters saying we needed to quit feeding French and letting him force shots up inside.  Anytime something bad happens people have to pick out one thing they didn't like and exaggerate how bad it was. 

I think it depends on how the game is going.

Last game it wasn’t working this game it was.

My theory is, stick with what works until it isn’t working anymore.

Seems they abandoned French a little early.

There might have been a reason the abandoned. Who knows.

2 minutes ago, BJK said:

Big difference between French, linssen getting their shots blocked on post feeds vs. driving guards off pick and roll. That was my point first half the ball was fed inside. Second half it was forced via guard play. If Someone smarter than me can prove they took those attempts away then so be it but it seemed like we were trying very hard to get the guards going in the second half.

3 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

We are now 29 in Kenpom.  We were 28 before this game?  Only dropped one spot? 

When I looked at Kenpom about an hour ago I’m pretty sure we were 25. It looks like Minnesota moved up 2 spots to 51. 

Bills_06 likes this

12 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Absolutely no chance this is considered a bad loss come tourney time. Forget place in the Big 10 where do you guys thing Minn will end the year as far as net ranking goes? 

They were 42 last year and they appear to be nearly as good as last year. Top 60 is a fair expectation.  In no universe is a road loss to a top 60 team considered a bad loss.  There'll probably be only 3 top 60 teams in our entire conference.

slufanskip likes this

The problem with this game was that French went a little cold, 5/10, when they were clearly going at him with 1 guy. We needed to keep hitting him and Linssen inside until we forced them to commit an extra defender inside. It felt like we did not go to French enough in the second half. We wanted to dictate the game through our guards, and we failed. Perkins just wasn’t hitting, and GJ couldn’t get open. Goodwin did not catch fire from outside. I was confused down the stretch when Hargrove and Jacobs passed up on threes. I was surprised that we couldn’t get GJ open for 1 three. Just kind of a crappy game on our part. 
Credit goes to them. They took a new approach against us, and it worked. We now need to remind everyone that French can put up 30 points if you let him.