Thatch Granted Waiver

GBL_Bills

Just now, Reinert310 said:

And nobody, as far as I know, has claimed he will be. The question was, could Thatch turn into the type of all-around player where he scored, grabs boards, plays shut down defense, dishes a few assists, is the team leader similar to what JGood is doing now. The answer is absolutely YES. He absolutely could turn into that type of player. Maybe he doesn’t put up the same numbers Goodwin does, that doesn’t mean you can’t compare the 2.

Also, saying Thatch looks lost on offense right now isn’t exactly fair. He’s playing in his first live games in 2 years. Running through the offense in practice is not the same thing. Cut the kid some slack.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred is quicker, stronger and can jump higher than Jordan. Jordan is much more of a playmaking guard who is also crafty in the paint. I don't really see them as similar players, other than their height. Part of that is that Jordan is a truly unique player. I can't think of any other player in the A-10 or any former Billiken whose game resembles Goodwin's. 

2 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Also, saying Thatch looks lost on offense right now isn’t exactly fair. He’s playing in his first live games in 2 years. Running through the offense in practice is not the same thing. Cut the kid some slack.

He is lost on offense right now, but that wasn't my point and you know it. He hasn't played in one year. What are you talking about? And he has no chance to average 8 rebounds a game. That's just uninformed crap.  

2 minutes ago, DOC said:

He is lost on offense right now, but that wasn't my point and you know it. 

What was your point exactly? Why bring it up if it wasn’t relevant to your post? Saying he looks lost on offense right now, for me, isn’t fair to Fred. Simple as that.

Just now, DOC said:

Relax. I mentioned it because it's true. I also understand Fred's plight. It's just silly to try and say that Thatch will become Goodwin when there is nothing to justify it at this point, other than athletic ability

Nobody is saying Thatch is going to become Jordan Goodwin. They’re simply hypothetically asking the question of who might step up to try and fill his shoes in the next year or 2. There’s a pretty ginormous difference there.

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Nobody is saying Thatch is going to become Jordan Goodwin. They’re simply hypothetically asking the question of who might step up to try and fill his shoes in the next year or 2. There’s a pretty ginormous difference there.

Like I said, there's nothing to indicate Thatch will fill Goodwin's shoes. Hypothetically or otherwise. And that's not a knock on Fred so save that dribble. Goodwin is a player like no other that we have on the roster. Players will fill his minutes, not his shoes. 

13 minutes ago, NH said:

Fred is quicker, stronger and can jump higher than Jordan. Jordan is much more of a playmaking guard who is also crafty in the paint. I don't really see them as similar players, other than their height. Part of that is that Jordan is a truly unique player. I can't think of any other player in the A-10 or any former Billiken whose game resembles Goodwin's. 

To be an effective scorer at this level, you need to get some easy baskets.  Perkins does it with that quick first step and beating his man to the basket.  Goodwin does it by offensive rebounding and posting up smaller guards.  Thatch also got his easy buckets in high school by posting up smaller guards.  Since he's usually playing with Goodwin and a big, he plays the part of a spot-up shooter when that's not really his strength.  After he gets some easy buckets, his outside shot tends to drop.  Jacobs is a better fit as a spot-up shooter playing limited minutes.  We may not see the "real Thatch" until after Goodwin is gone.

brianstl and Reinert310 like this

2 minutes ago, DOC said:

Like I said, there's nothing to indicate Thatch will fill Goodwin's shoes. Hypothetically or otherwise. And that's not a knock on Fred so save that dribble. Goodwin is a player like no other that we have on the roster. Players will fill his minutes, not his shoes. 

And you’re missing my point. Nobody is saying or asking if Thatch will be just as productive of a player as Goodwin. It’s simply asking who’s going to step up and fill his role on the team once he’s gone. Exactly NOBODY is assuming Thatch is going to end up averaging a double-double his junior and senior years. That was never the question.

Whether or not specific individuals rise up to fill specific roles that are departing seems kind of besides the point. The line-up/depth for next year is looking pretty solid by A10 standards without even counting any current or future Freshman or transfers (not considering Jimerson a Freshman even if he qualifies): 

Collins, Jimerson, Jacobs, Okoro, Linssen, Hargrove, Bell, Thatch. 

32 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

And nobody, as far as I know, has claimed he will be. The question was, could Thatch turn into the type of all-around player where he scored, grabs boards, plays shut down defense, dishes a few assists, is the team leader similar to what JGood is doing now. The answer is absolutely YES. He absolutely could turn into that type of player. Maybe he doesn’t put up the same numbers Goodwin does, that doesn’t mean you can’t compare the 2.

No, I understand you. You think Fred can "absolutely" be the guy that replaces a Billiken legend. You obviously see a lot of double-doubles, which I don't. You see 15 points a game, I do not. You see once in a generation leadership, where I don't. You see 8 rebounds a game, which is just wrong. To fill Goodwin's shoes you will have to achieve most of these stats. Again, nothing against Fred, his illness was disturbing and to see him on the floor is a blessing. He has the chance for a nice career at SLU, but he will never fill Goodwin's shoes. And that's no knock on Fred. Goodwin is such a different type player, with mind blowing stats, that we don't have one player to replace what he brings to the table. It will be done by committee.

2 minutes ago, DOC said:

No, I understand you. You think Fred can "absolutely" be the guy that replaces a Billiken legend. You obviously see a lot of double-doubles, which I don't. You see 15 points a game, I do not. You see once in a generation leadership, where I don't. You see 8 rebounds a game, which is just wrong. To fill Goodwin's shoes you will have to achieve most of these stats. Again, nothing against Fred, his illness was disturbing and to see him on the floor is a blessing. He has the chance for a nice career at SLU, but he will never fill Goodwin's shoes. And that's no knock on Fred. Goodwin is such a different type player, with mind blowing stats, that we don't have one player to replace what he brings to the table. It will be done by committee.

No. You obviously don’t understand me at all. It’s whatever. I’m done trying help you understand me. Have a nice Sunday.

1 minute ago, DOC said:

Just quoting you. Maybe you don't understand yourself what your saying. You to.

Not real hard to take things out of context even after my repeated attempts to provide context. The difference between your argument and mine is that you’re assuming things will remain static and everything will remain exactly as they are today. My argument is that everything, players, roles and situations will change and inevitably evolve. But believe whatever you like. You wanna beat your chest and proclaim you “won” this debate? That’s fine. Your trophy’s in the mail.

Just now, Reinert310 said:

Not real hard to take things out of context even after my repeated attempts to provide context. The difference between your argument and mine is that you’re assuming things will remain static and everything will remain exactly as they are today. My argument is that everything, players, roles and situations will change and inevitably evolve. But believe whatever you like. You wanna beat your chest and proclaim you “won” this debate? That’s fine. Your trophy’s in the mail.

Well you have changed your point about 5 times. Now it's something about evolving roles. Got it. 

1 minute ago, DOC said:

I thought you were done with this? Can't you just say something here that you don't change your mind and make it about something else?

I haven’t changed my mind once. About any of it. If you keep talking sh!t, I’m going to keep responding. I’m actually actively trying to end this conversation amicably. 

21 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I haven’t changed my mind once. About any of it. If you keep talking sh!t, I’m going to keep responding. I’m actually actively trying to end this conversation amicably. 

You said you were done with this and you would send me some award in the mail. Now you changed your mind again and here we are. Your not trying to end this amicably. 

6 minutes ago, DOC said:

You said you were done with this and you would send me some award in the mail. Now you changed your mind again and here we are. Your not trying to end this amicably. 

This is just sad. Blocked.

Billiken Rich likes this

To answer the question about who takes Goodwin's role next year: Yuri Collins.  This year it's Goodwin's team next year it'll be Yuri's.  He will score more, guys who were just bench players will become starters and score more, guys who aren't even playing now will replace those bench players.  

Every time our seniors graduate there's much hand wringing about how we can never replace them.  I'm not sure why. If you've recruited well the youngsters who are already on the team will replace them.  That doesn't mean stat for stat replacement.  The scoring, rebounding and assist distribution will be different.  

Quality Is Job 1 likes this