Thatch Granted Waiver

GBL_Bills

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Will Shaft be the stat sheet stuffer once JGood plays for money?

I think there are a few guys who could take over that roll (Thatch, Jacobs, Hargrove, Strickland) or it could just be a committee of players. But I also think JGood go down in Billikens history. The fact that we actually have a number of guys who could hypothetically fill his shoes shows just how successful Coach Ford has been in recruiting.

VeniceMenace likes this

5 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I think there are a few guys who could take over that roll (Thatch, Jacobs, Hargrove, Strickland) or it could just be a committee of players. But I also think JGood go down in Billikens history. The fact that we actually have a number of guys who could hypothetically fill his shoes shows just how successful Coach Ford has been in recruiting.

*role, not roll. I’m an absolutely atrocious speller. 

37 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I can see a lot of Goodwin in Thatch, and although he hasn't shown it yet, I think he can become a more reliable shooter. JGood has improved his shooting and hit some big threes but, to this point, is still a streak shooter. Thatch has all the same tools and might be a better scorer.

CBFan likes this

5 minutes ago, willie said:

I thought everybody on this board told me the NCAA only grants medical waivers after your senior year is completed. 

I think that was misinformation that got circulated. Until I saw that last year, I'd never heard it before.

7 hours ago, billikenbill said:

I can see a lot of Goodwin in Thatch, and although he hasn't shown it yet, I think he can become a more reliable shooter. JGood has improved his shooting and hit some big threes but, to this point, is still a streak shooter. Thatch has all the same tools and might be a better scorer.

Stop. Goodwin was doing it from day 1 at SLU. Thatch hasn’t shown anything close.

51 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Stop. Goodwin was doing it from day 1 at SLU. Thatch hasn’t shown anything close.

It's a future projection based on his potential. Don't get your panties in a wad over silly crap like that.

Littlebill likes this

16 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Thatch is no Goodwin. At. All. Get your head out of your ass.

thetorch likes this

49 minutes ago, BACKHANDtheRICAN said:

Bad post. Both 6'3, both great defenders, Thatch has a reported 46" vertical, has decent shooting form. Before his illness, the coaches figured he would be the leading scorer last year. The post was no knock on JGood, he's a junkyard dog who has made himself into an excellent player. Among other things, his anticipation and positioning for rebounding is amazing. From a size and athleticism standpoint, I don't see any reason why Thatch can't be a similar player to what JGood has become, especially if he has three more seasons to develop his game.

It's just speculation based on potential. There are too many MBMs on this board who want to get their panties in a wad, especially in regard to JGood.

I checked the SLUBillkens.com website and Thatch is indeed now  listed as a Redshirt Sophomore.  Jimerson is listed as a Sophomore, so perhaps he hasn't received his waiver yet.

Have we had a player receive a Medical Waiver and then reset a partial season?  I believe Welmer and Bishop both received Medical Waivers, but I don't remember them playing a partial season and having it reset. Neither made 4 years and really didn't use the waiver.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I checked the SLUBillkens.com website and Thatch is indeed now  listed as a Redshirt Sophomore.  Jimerson is listed as a Sophomore, so perhaps he hasn't received his waiver yet.

Have we had a player receive a Medical Waiver and then reset a partial season?  I believe Welmer and Bishop both received Medical Waivers, but I don't remember them playing a partial season and having it reset. Neither made 4 years and really didn't use the waiver.

I thought Ford said he got one earlier but maybe I am making that up.

12 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

2 hours ago, David King said:

I guess these are the kind of questions we can expect now that they’ve legalized wacky weed on the east side.

You guys do realize that it IS possible to suggest that Thatch could end up being a similar type player to Goodwin in a year or 2 without suggesting that Thatch will end up being the same type of program-changing Billikens legend that Goodwin is, right? I don’t think it’s all that unreasonable to think, assuming health, that by his Junior and/or senior seasons, he could be averaging 12 points 8 boards 3ish assists and is a stopper on the defensive end. Those obviously aren’t quite JGood numbers, and won’t have done it for his entire career, and he won’t be the Phoenix that helped raise this program out of the ashes, but that doesn’t mean their games are entirely incomparable. 

3 hours ago, BACKHANDtheRICAN said:

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

You guys do realize that it IS possible to suggest that Thatch could end up being a similar type player to Goodwin in a year or 2 without suggesting that Thatch will end up being the same type of program-changing Billikens legend that Goodwin is, right? I don’t think it’s all that unreasonable to think, assuming health, that by his Junior and/or senior seasons, he could be averaging 12 points 8 boards 3ish assists and is a stopper on the defensive end. Those obviously aren’t quite JGood numbers, and won’t have done it for his entire career, and he won’t be the Phoenix that helped raise this program out of the ashes, but that doesn’t mean their games are entirely incomparable. 

The only problem with that projection is Thatch has shown nothing to show he’s capable of that kind of production on a consistent basis. It’s not a knack on Thatch; in fact, it’s rather unfair to try anointing him as a replacement for Goodwin when we’ll likely never have a comparable player again. Thatch is much more likely to be a 14 and 5 guy, which would be great. Hopefully he’s able to stay healthy so we can see him reach his potential. It just isn’t necessary to try turning him into something he isn’t.

Just now, BilliesBy40 said:

The only problem with that projection is Thatch has shown nothing to show he’s capable of that kind of production on a consistent basis. It’s not a knack on Thatch; in fact, it’s rather unfair to try anointing him as a replacement for Goodwin when we’ll likely never have a comparable player again. Thatch is much more likely to be a 14 and 5 guy, which would be great. Hopefully he’s able to stay healthy so we can see him reach his potential. It just isn’t necessary to try turning him into something he isn’t.

How can you possibly say that? The only real games we’ve seen Thatch at 100% were 2 years ago when he was a freshman and was, at best, the 5th option behind Bess, Goodwin, Isabell and French. He’s played in all of 1 season. There’s a very realistic chance his role could expand in coming years, especially after our 3 seniors move on. I just don’t see the point of calling people out for hypothetically asking the question of could Thatch be that guy in a year or 2. Is it possible? Yes. Do they have similar skill sets? Yes. As far as I know, nobody has guaranteed that Thatch is going to be just as good as JGood has been and will be this year. Some of the responses to fairly innocent questions were, quite frankly, over the top and outrageous. 

I agree that from a size and athletic perspective Thatch has the potential to be a very good player, but he will never be a Goodwin type of player. And that's no knock on Fred. The comparison ends on athletic ability. Goodwin puts up numbers Thatch has no chance of realizing. Double-doubles, rebounds and steals are combined numbers no player in SLU history will realize, let alone a guy who looks lossed on offense right now.

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, DOC said:

I agree that from a size and athletic perspective Thatch has the potential to be a very good player, but he will never be a Goodwin type of player. And that's no knock on Fred. The comparison ends on athletic ability. Goodwin puts up numbers Thatch has no chance of realizing. Double-doubles, rebounds and steals are combined numbers no player in SLU history will realize, let alone a guy who looks lossed on offense right now.

And nobody, as far as I know, has claimed he will be. The question was, could Thatch turn into the type of all-around player where he scored, grabs boards, plays shut down defense, dishes a few assists, is the team leader similar to what JGood is doing now. The answer is absolutely YES. He absolutely could turn into that type of player. Maybe he doesn’t put up the same numbers Goodwin does, that doesn’t mean you can’t compare the 2.

NoCoBillsFan likes this