GDT: Hungry for some wolves

Littlebill

For a team to play as bad as they did for 30 minutes then explode, shows just how good we are. Jacobs coming in with the big spark. So deep and talented that Jimmer could sit during most of our big run.  Just imagine how good we will be when running on all cylinders for 40 minutes. And Yuri is here...two more years...WOW. Jimmer maybe 3?

HenryB likes this

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Well if we could just play the last 15 seconds of every game, Jett's the better player. For the other 39 min 45 seconds as great as Jett was I'll take JGood

Somewhere the 1993 - 1994 H Waldman is reading this thread and saying: "Guys! What about me!"

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

A counting stat is points or rebounds or assist. You can score 30 points, but if you take 30 shots, those numbers look better than they really are. I have no problem with attacking, but there’s a difference between being aggressive and being stupid. Driving into the lane with nowhere to go and turning it over. Taking 19-foot jumpers with 23 seconds left in the shot clock. Those mistakes are expected from Strickland, not from Goodwin. JGood knows he didn’t play great tonight (though he was 100% better in the 2nd half). He’s going to be better on Sunday, I have no doubt. But I don’t think it’s all that controversial to say it was a tale of 2 halves for JGood tonight.

No doubt he was better in the 2nd half, I didn't argue that or say he wasn't. I stated the take that JGood had a poor game is a bad one, And  it is.  So a counting stat is just a stat? Just my opinion and we clearly disagree, but I thought his first half was poor in a couple of aspects but he actually was only 2/6 from the field 1 more make and he's 50% from the field. So clearly not a bunch of jacked up crazy 19 footers with too much time left on the clock. Seriously, how many times did he do this?  He had 3 t/o's probably 2 too many, but he also had 9 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals. Lucky they don't end games after 20 minutes. Many games are just like this stretches of great play and stretches of not so great play. 

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

No doubt he was better in the 2nd half, I didn't argue that or say he wasn't. I stated the take that JGood had a poor game is a bad one, And  it is.  So a counting stat is just a stat? Just my opinion and we clearly disagree, but I thought his first half was poor in a couple of aspects but he actually was only 2/6 from the field 1 more make and he's 50% from the field. So clearly not a bunch of jacked up crazy 19 footers with too much time left on the clock. Seriously, how many times did he do this?  He had 3 t/o's probably 2 too many, but he also had 9 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals. Lucky they don't end games after 20 minutes. Many games are just like this stretches of great play and stretches of not so great play. 

No, a counting stat is a stat that you can build up with enough opportunities, as opposed to efficiency numbers, shooting percentages where you can’t. I never said he took 17 bad jumpers. But even a couple of them at the wrong time can change the momentum of the game. Which happened a couple of times in the first half to go along with the turnovers. He was NOT the only 1 that played badly in the first half, but he’s the senior leader. He has the most responsibility, so he probably gets an unfair share of the blame. It comes with the territory. But I certainly would not say this was of the best games of JGood’s career.  

1 hour ago, hmart23 said:

Depth doesn’t necessarily mean going 10 guys deep the whole game. Sometimes it means it gives you more options to pick your 7 for a game. Maybe thatch and Hargrove are more active in the next game. We got hot in the second half and stuck with what worked. Which is also a plus side of having so many players. 

Thatch and Hargrove might get the start against UMKC the way Coach was talking after the game. 

Just because I was interested, I put the following together.  I should have included blocks for French, and an argument could be made that these averages partly reflect tempo of games.  But I do undervalue Goodwin (but I think many others undervalue Evans).

PPG FG% FT% A/G S/G R/G TO/G
Goodwin - Soph 13.7 0.405 0.511 3.4 1.9 7.5 2.4
Goodwin - Junior 15.5 0.473 0.538 3.1 2.1 10.4 3.1
Goodwin - Senior 15.2 0.487 0.625 3.5 2.3 11 3.2
Jett - Sophomore 6.5 0.467 0.625 2.1 1.1 2.8 1.4
Jett - Junior 9 0.511 0.623 3.2 1.1 2.9 2.1
Jett - Senior 13.9 0.49 0.6 4.8 1.5 4 2.9
Evans - Sophomore 7.9 0.46 0.671 0.7 0.6 7.3 1.4
Evans - Junior 14 0.547 0.768 1.1 1.3 7.7 1.8
Evans - Senior 14 0.494 0.749 1.2 1.2 6.5 2.4
French - Sophomore 9.3 0.492 0.349 1.5 1 8.4 2.1
French - Junior 12.4 0.521 0.329 2.3 1 10.4 2.2
French - Senior 8.3 0.571 0.5 2.5 0 8.3 1.5

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

No, a counting stat is a stat that you can build up with enough opportunities, as opposed to efficiency numbers, shooting percentages where you can’t. I never said he took 17 bad jumpers. But even a couple of them at the wrong time can change the momentum of the game. Which happened a couple of times in the first half to go along with the turnovers. He was NOT the only 1 that played badly in the first half, but he’s the senior leader. He has the most responsibility, so he probably gets an unfair share of the blame. It comes with the territory. But I certainly would not say this was of the best games of JGood’s career.  

I agree he made some mistakes but come on he only took 6 shots and made 2, how many bad ones were there? He had 3 t/o's in the 1st half, he averaged just over 1 1/2 per half last year and we all know JGood's game is going to be prone to some t/o's. So honestly we are talking about 1-2 poor shots and maybe a bad t/o or 2. That's it. Last year minus f/t's JGood averaged about 1 point per shot. He had 4 points on 6 shots. He averaged 13 1/2 shots per game last year so 6.75 per half, he took 6. 

So despite his couple of poor shots at the wrong time and maybe a t/o or 2, he still finished the 1st half with 5 points / 9 boards / 2 assists / and 2 steals. Great half Nope, not for JGood but the idea it was a terrible half is imo overstated because in the end you're talking about 1 made shot under 50% from the field and 1 1/2 to's over his norm. 

I find the idea of counting stats to be silly. I understand you disagree. 

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

I agree he made some mistakes but come on he only took 6 shots and made 2, how many bad ones were there? He had 3 t/o's in the 1st half, he averaged just over 1 1/2 per half last year and we all know JGood's game is going to be prone to some t/o's. So honestly we are talking about 1-2 poor shots and maybe a bad t/o or 2. That's it. Last year minus f/t's JGood averaged about 1 point per shot. He had 4 points on 6 shots. He averaged 13 1/2 shots per game last year so 6.75 per half, he took 6. 

So despite his couple of poor shots at the wrong time and maybe a t/o or 2, he still finished the 1st half with 5 points / 9 boards / 2 assists / and 2 steals. Great half Nope, not for JGood but the idea it was a terrible half is imo overstated because in the end you're talking about 1 made shot under 50% from the field and 1 1/2 to's over his norm. 

I find the idea of counting stats to be silly. I understand you disagree. 

You can disagree all you want, but we had 53 rebounds today. We almost doubled up NC State with rebounds. Therefore JGood had many more opportunities to grab rebounds. He deserves a certain amount of credit for that, but he doesn’t get that many rebounds if State shoots a better percentage, which makes his numbers at least slightly misleading. I didn’t say he played terrible in the first half, but he played badly enough. Maybe it’s the fact that Yuri was the one that kept us in the game and settled the team down, and not JGood that I’d making me overly critical of Goodwin. 

I can see doing a comparison between Jett and Goodwin but French and Evans is not an apples to apples comparison.  French is our center.  Perkins is our combo forward.  And while Evans is a better all around player, Perkin's elite scoring at that position is rare.  We've seen very good combo forwards at SLU before.  The last time we saw anything like Javonte Perkins in a Bills uniform, Bill Walton was suiting up for UCLA on TV instead of ruining TV broadcasts.  

Am I still in the GDT?

Huge second half. Seemed like our run came out of nowhere, but once we started rolling you could tell the guys were feeding off of each other and gaining confidence with each bucket. Would have been a crazy atmosphere at Chaifetz tonight. 

The first half was that classic ass kicking/reality check all teams need right about now. Ford will have a lot to work with. As others said during the game, just an awful half of basketball. Couldn’t buy a basket and millions of turnovers. Thank goodness for Yuri stepping up and taking it to the rim to keep us within striking distance. Jimerson also had some timely 3s in that regard. We’re also pretty fortunate NCST wasn’t at full strength.

Bad news is Minnesota just played an entire game like our first half, so they’re probably itching to get back out there on Sun. 

2 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Am I still in the GDT?

Huge second half. Seemed like our run came out of nowhere, but once we started rolling you could tell the guys were feeding off of each other and gaining confidence with each bucket. Would have been a crazy atmosphere at Chaifetz tonight. 

The first half was that classic ass kicking/reality check all teams need right about now. Ford will have a lot to work with. As others said during the game, just an awful half of basketball. Couldn’t buy a basket and millions of turnovers. Thank goodness for Yuri stepping up and taking it to the rim to keep us within striking distance. We’re also pretty fortunate NCST wasn’t at full strength.

Bad news is Minnesota just played an entire game like our first half, so they’re probably itching to get back out there on Sun. 

The whole 2nd half, I was just thinking to myself, “if we can just get a lead, they’ll fold.” We cut it to 1, then Yuri took that charge and they got it back up to 9. But once we finally fought back on top, I think NC State ran out of energy. 

majerus mojo likes this

6 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

French is the best power forward the Billikens have had in my time as a fan. 

I do think this team can surpass that team.  But they are not there yet.

so bonner is before your fanship?    

imo this is the best billiken team since easy ed.   

why not the billikens?

HoosierPal, dennis_w and AGB91 like this

28 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

why not the billikens?

I would say my real fanship started at about 1995. (didn't quite get as early as as a start as your grandson). And even then, not sure how much I would trust my 11 year Old judgment. Not that you should trust my 36 years old judgment. 

Our coach showed me some good coaching decisions tonight.

I was critical about Bell not playing when Bates was in and I wonder how all of you felt about the rational for that decision.

What impressed me about coach Ford was when he put Jacobs in over Jimerson and stuck with Jacobs down the stretch.  Jimerson was having a decent game but Jacobs seemed to really ignite the offense and defense down the stretch.  That dunk and 3 pointer was a momentum changer.

Yuri Collins is one of the best point guards in the country.  Yuri really carried the team and led the team.  Yuri is one of the biggest reason our team has won 11 in a row.  I understand for Yuri to be great on assists you have to have great finishers.

My only concern for our team is when our team goes up another big like Bates however the thought of our coach might be our team can just out score that problem away.

Look forward to reading and posting with all of you Sunday.

Crewsorlose likes this

35 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

why not the billikens?

Got to remember Roy a lot of posters did not have the pleasure to see Bonner play like we did.

I remember the day when it was announced in the post dispatch that Bonner and Jones signed.  That was huge, SLU got a couple of Floyd Irons kids.

Roland Gray was a pleasure to watch play the game also.  For those that had not seen Roland play he was the same size as Evans and as good of a player too.

Collins, Goodwin, Perkins and French are four of the all-time greats at their respective positions and they're all on the same team.  Jacobs is one of the greatest sixth men we've ever had.  Gibson Jimerson is one of the greatest shooters we've ever had.  They're on the team too.  Our average margin of victory through six games is 25 points.

Now we do have to go on the road so that margin of victory will drop some.  We will even lose some games.  But I can already say that the last 11 games is the most dominant stretch of Billiken basketball I've ever seen, ranking or no ranking.  What a great time to be a Billiken fan.

17 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Collins, Goodwin, Perkins and French are four of the all-time greats at their respective positions and they're all on the same team.  Jacobs is one of the greatest sixth men we've ever had.  Gibson Jimerson is one of the greatest shooters we've ever had.  They're on the team too.  Our average margin of victory through six games is 25 points.

Now we do have to go on the road so that margin of victory will drop some.  We will even lose some games.  But I can already say that the last 11 games is the most dominant stretch of Billiken basketball I've ever seen, ranking or no ranking.  What a great time to be a Billiken fan.

Here's a dominant stretch of basketball which brought us the win. Taking out the last two possessions with the questionable traveling call and intentional clock violation, over the previous 21 possessions, the Bills scored 32 points on 11-16 shooting, 2-5 arc, 8-12 from the stripe, with only one turnover. That's a ppp of 1.52 on 69% from the floor, and a turnover rate of 4.8%. Even better, 2 of the missed FG attempts led to offensive stickbacks, and JGood's turnover was immediately redeemed by his blocked shot and rebound which led to 2 FTs and a 60-58 lead.

Despite all that good play, it might not have been enough without Yuri's decision to take over the offense in the first half and keep us in it.

7 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

Just because I was interested, I put the following together.  I should have included blocks for French, and an argument could be made that these averages partly reflect tempo of games.  But I do undervalue Goodwin (but I think many others undervalue Evans).

PPG FG% FT% A/G S/G R/G TO/G
Goodwin - Soph 13.7 0.405 0.511 3.4 1.9 7.5 2.4
Goodwin - Junior 15.5 0.473 0.538 3.1 2.1 10.4 3.1
Goodwin - Senior 15.2 0.487 0.625 3.5 2.3 11 3.2
Jett - Sophomore 6.5 0.467 0.625 2.1 1.1 2.8 1.4
Jett - Junior 9 0.511 0.623 3.2 1.1 2.9 2.1
Jett - Senior 13.9 0.49 0.6 4.8 1.5 4 2.9
Evans - Sophomore 7.9 0.46 0.671 0.7 0.6 7.3 1.4
Evans - Junior 14 0.547 0.768 1.1 1.3 7.7 1.8
Evans - Senior 14 0.494 0.749 1.2 1.2 6.5 2.4
French - Sophomore 9.3 0.492 0.349 1.5 1 8.4 2.1
French - Junior 12.4 0.521 0.329 2.3 1 10.4 2.2
French - Senior 8.3 0.571 0.5 2.5 0 8.3 1.5

It is amazing how quickly memories fade.  Also, Conklin’s senior season was one of the best seasons ever by a Billiken.  Seriously, everyone needs to go look at his advanced metrics for that season.  He never has got the credit he really deserves for that season.  Conklin summer gets tossed around all the time on here, but I think few really realize how outstanding the season was that followed that summer.

NC State was a very good Win for the Billikens.  That 53-26 winning of the rebound battle really stands out.  This was over a pretty good Power 5 team from the all hallowed ACC.  While I realize NC State was missing 2 key players, we will take the Win.

The Billikens are getting national publicity.  Dickie V, Seth Davis, and Jon Rothstein all tweeted about the Billikens after last night's big win.

Beat Minnesota!  What do Ole and Lena know about Hoops?

#RankTheBillikens

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is amazing how quickly memories fade.  Also, Conklin’s senior season was one of the best seasons ever by a Billiken.  Seriously, everyone needs to go look at his advanced metrics for that season.  He never has got the credit he really deserves for that season.  Conklin summer gets tossed around all the time on here, but I think few really realize how outstanding the season was that followed that summer.

Yeah, Conklin was offensively the best Billiken big in recent memory that season. First-team all-conference for a reason. That team would be a very tough matchup for any squad, including our team this year.

I do think on body of work it’s tough to beat the 2012-2013 SLU squad. They won the toughest A-10 we will see and then went to Brooklyn and won the tourney. Evans was a matchup nightmare and Jett/McCall/Mitchell terrorized other teams back courts. That team was without Mitchell for a while but once we got him back and clicked blew out multiple top 25 squads (Butler, VCU, New Mexico) and also went on an extended winning streak. I think our current team might have a higher ceiling, but they wouldn’t have an easy matchup with that 2012-2013 team. That doesn’t mean we can’t be a sweet sixteen (or better) squad this year.

Bizziken and Bills71 like this

Last night's win over NC St. by 11 pts, well over the spread, was a good thing for our ranking. TeamRankings had us at #24 just before the game, today they have us up to #18. NC St. was at #21 before the game, today they are down to #28.

Minnesota was undefeated until 12/15 when they got blown away by Illinois (92 to 65), they are now at #48. This does not mean we will walk over them, it will be a tough game for sure. Coming after such a defeat by Illinois, Minnesota is likely to be determined to blow us away. I think we can beat them, we will see Sunday.

Sorry my bad about the day, corrected to Sunday.