GDT: Hungry for some wolves

Littlebill

27 minutes ago, brianstl said:

For all the talk about NC State falling a part because their players just got worn down and had to play too many minutes because of a lack depth......

Heavy minutes didn't seem to wear down Collins(38 minutes), Goodwin (36) and Perkins (34).  Those three didn't come off the court in the second half.

I think the physicality we play with wears teams down as much as the depth. 

No excuses for NC State - we beat LSU with a couple of our key players missing. And with their two players missing, it meant more playing time for Beverly and Bates - who turned out to be their two best players last night.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

But is it necessary to say that as a fan of a 6-0 team that is headed for the Top 25 about your team's best offensive player.  I guarantee that Michael Jordan had stretches at NC where he wasn't great.  Should the NC fans have been comments like that?  My point is that even national championship teams lose games.  National championship teams have bad halves.  National championship teams have bad stretches.  The same is true of the best players on those national championship teams.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but maybe "Perkins is really struggling right now," might be a better statement to make about our best offensive player when he's not scoring 10 points in every five minute stretch of the game.

See I think saying something like "bench him" or "get him out of the game" would fall under what you're talking about. Simply saying he was the worst Billiken on the floor in the first half A) was probably the accurate call b) only being down a few with him playing like that gave me optimism for the 2nd since I knew  he couldn't keep that up. 

10 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Unsung part of the night— are we no longer a god awful FT shooting team? Is it official yet?

So much of it has just been not having our offense go through French and Goodwin for everything.  And Goodwin's FTs looked pretty smooth last night.

slufanskip and majerus mojo like this

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

See I think saying something like "bench him" or "get him out of the game" would fall under what you're talking about. Simply saying he was the worst Billiken on the floor in the first half A) was probably the accurate call b) only being down a few with him playing like that gave me optimism for the 2nd since I knew  he couldn't keep that up. 

I don't disagree.  However, I would bet that some NC  State fans would argue that some of their players were the worst players on the floor given that we beat them.  I think you and I just disagree about how to vocalize thoughts during the game.  I did not participate in the thread during the game.  Instead, I read it afterwards.  I like to see how folks reacted to different portions of the game.  That probably gave me a different perspective than if I had been experiencing it in the moment.  I would recommend going back and reading the thread again.  I guarantee that you'll laugh about some of the things being said in the moment.

Having said all that, I understand the emotions involved in being an invested fan.

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think the physicality we play with wears teams down as much as the depth. 

No excuses for NC State - we beat LSU with a couple of our key players missing. And with their two players missing, it meant more playing time for Beverly and Bates - who turned out to be their two best players last night.

I hear you.  I get sick of excuses.  Some times you just need to tip your hat to the other team.  Just like we need to tip our hat to the great job NC State did defensively in the first half.  Some of our wounds were self inflicted and some were the result of really pushing the tempo in an attempt to wear down NC State.  We often didn't look ready in the first half for the how fast Ford wanted Yuri to push it at times.  That said, NC State seemed to be everywhere defensively the first half.

6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I would recommend going back and reading the thread again.  I guarantee that you'll laugh about some of the things being said in the moment.

have done that, always a good time. 

3 hours ago, NH said:

• Manny Bates was a monster for them. We will face a maximum of one more big guy this year that causes us as many issues as he did and that's Osun Osunniyi on St. Bonaventure; I think fans may underestimate how much of an impact having a rim protector makes. That is the biggest difference when we play Has vs. Linnsen

Bates is currently #2 in the nation in block% on KenPom.  He finished #1 as a freshman last season.  I agree that great rim protectors can give us problems, but we won't fact another big as good as Bates again.  His length gave the Billikens fits on the court just like his face length gave @billikenfan05 laughing fits off the court.

Edit: Adding some more context to this.  Block% is pretty easy it is blocked shots / opponent 2 pt attempts against you.  Last season Bates blocked 15.96% of the 2 pt attempts against him.  The next best guy was 14.18%.  Michael Hughes (Duq) was best in A10 at 12.44% (#10 ITN), followed by AJ Wilson (GMas) at 11.83% (#12 ITN), Osun (Bona) at 10.64% (#22) and French 9.82% (#27).

Edited by RUBillsFan

21 hours ago, slufanskip said:

That offensive charge on Thatch in the backcourt has to be the worst offensive charge I've ever seen. Why is he even taking it towards the sideline. 

Yeah, I really thought Ford would yank and spank after that one.  Play made zero sense.

Good review of the game found here: https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/12/18/saint-louis-basketball-3-takeaways-billikens-big-win-nc-state/

Solid write-up in the Yuri section. The author, Caleb Hightower, knows our team pretty well. Good to see.

You know Caleb is Josh's brother, right?

Despite that, I thought the analysis was pretty detailed and, well, analytical.  To understand Yuri's ability to put his body on a defender while on offense, or understand the feet positioning of the defense, are things easily lost on MBMs like me.  The analytics brought me back to some of the teaching RickMa insisted on with ball screens, defense and the like.  I've been impressed with Caleb's writing so far.  The analysis of Devon Daniles was excellent and frankly, I thought he and Brandon Beverly played a lot of hero ball in the second half ---- Beverly making a lot of his stuff to receive Abomb's "Amish dude" call.   Still, a nice win to bask in the glow of. 

12 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

You know Caleb is Josh's brother, right?

Despite that, I thought the analysis was pretty detailed and, well, analytical.  To understand Yuri's ability to put his body on a defender while on offense, or understand the feet positioning of the defense, are things easily lost on MBMs like me.  The analytics brought me back to some of the teaching RickMa insisted on with ball screens, defense and the like.  I've been impressed with Caleb's writing so far.  The analysis of Devon Daniles was excellent and frankly, I thought he and Brandon Beverly played a lot of hero ball in the second half ---- Beverly making a lot of his stuff to receive Abomb's "Amish dude" call.   Still, a nice win to bask in the glow of. 

Didn't know that although I wondered by the last name if there was a connection.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Good review of the game found here: https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/12/18/saint-louis-basketball-3-takeaways-billikens-big-win-nc-state/

Solid write-up in the Yuri section. The author, Caleb Hightower, knows our team pretty well. Good to see.

Great article. The content and analytics were very good. If this is his norm, I'd like to read his stuff more often. 

Comment was made by announcers at end of the game that, just from looking at final score, "you would never know how competitive this game was for 38 minutes." 80-69 indicates Saint Louis won fairly easily. But the opposite is also true. The score doesn't indicate how dominant Bills were during second half. From midway through the half to the final minute, they scored on 17 of their 22 possessions, vs. NC St scoring on 6 of their 21. During this lengthy 10-minute stretch Billikens were 17-5 on offense and 15-6 on defense, for a total possession W/L of 32-11. Against a good ACC team.

Reinert310 likes this