GDT: Hungry for some wolves

Littlebill

2 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

You're going to see a game where the zebras let 'em play. And every once in a while, you're going to see a call where you go "You're gonna call THAT after everything you let go."  Trust me.

The call was right. I'm still waiting to see Fred Thatch be the player the coaching staff claims he is. However, coming off his illness and missing a year, no doubt he deserves the benefit of the doubt and the time to find his game

willie likes this

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some quotes from this thread during the game.

"Perkins has been the worst player on the court" - ended up leading all scorers with 20 pts

"Goodwin looks absolutely awful tonight" - ended up with 16 pts and 15 rebounds

"Our seniors have been terrible" - see above, and French had 13 rebounds while defending a quality ACC big man

"No one from SLU has a case for the league if any scouts get a hold of tonight's video" - Even NBA bound players have bad halves

All of these quotes came from very respected posters.  Here's the point, we the best team we've had in a long time.  It might be the best team in the last 60 years.  Don't make crazy comments based on five minute stretches, or halves, or even whole games.  It'll all be good guys. 😀😀😀😀

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The call was right. I'm still waiting to see Fred Thatch be the player the coaching staff claims he is. However, coming off his illness and missing a year, no doubt he deserves the benefit of the doubt and the time to find his game

Yeah, I remember the play and the call. The Bills were, let's just say, a bit discombobulated in the first half. Don't let it get to you.

18 minutes ago, philliken said:

Just don’t forget my cut of you’re raise from the lucky patch! 😂

Lol. I’m a nurse, it’s like the equivalent of a membership to a jelly of the month club ;) 

but how bout when the corona virus is gone- I’ll get you a bud at a game? 

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

"Perkins has been the worst player on the court" - ended up leading all scorers with 20 pts

"Our seniors have been terrible" - see above, and French had 13 rebounds while defending a quality ACC big man

"No one from SLU has a case for the league if any scouts get a hold of tonight's video" - Even NBA bound players have bad halves

All of these quotes came from very respected posters.  Here's the point, we the best team we've had in a long time.  It might be the best team in the last 60 years.  Don't make crazy comments based on five minute stretches, or halves, or even whole games.  It'll all be good guys. 😀😀😀😀

And billikenbill said none of those things!!!

Some people just like to vent in the moment on the GDT- I prefer screaming at the television.   My main thought, however, after the first half was that we played ike dogmeat stew and were only down 6- good things were bound to happen. 

Billikenbooster likes this

5 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Mine was worse. it looked bleak in the first half.

8 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Who gives a ?  People are emotional during the game.

Billikenbooster and CBFan like this

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I am not one of the quoted above, but I said some negative things in this thread.  I am very excited about this team, and they did a great job coming back. But I think tonight did show that we are not as good as I think some like to think we are. 

Particularly, we saw what happens when we go against a very good BIG man.  French is probably the best power forward the Billikens have had in the time I have been a fan, but his size will hold him back.  We won't see many big men like that in the A-10, but we very well could in March.

We also had some very bad turnovers.  NC State's defense was good, but Evans, McCall, and Jett teams were much more disciplined.  I still think too many players on the current team go into "hero" ball mode.  This team has many more options than the Evans, McCall, and Jett team, which is fantastic.  But I would say the team where Evans, McCall, and Jett are juniors and Ellis was a senior would beat this team, at least right now.

8 minutes ago, BilliKat said:

Lol. I’m a nurse, it’s like the equivalent of a membership to a jelly of the month club ;) 

but how bout when the corona virus is gone- I’ll get you a bud at a game? 

image.png.7242d4e86852b8e977aaf9d2a4bb2145.png

no need to buy, but I’ll gladly toast you at the first game we’re actually able to attend.

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

What I said was a fact.  What more do you want.  Perkins missed 3(!) gimmies with no points and a few TO's with just 2 minutes left. 

45 minutes ago, maverick said:

Yes! Rest of the way NC State has some new fans here in STL

I'm a huge fan of LSU and NC State the rest of the season.  The obvious reason is that we want our wins to be high quality wins.  Also, and possibly more important to our season, they had the balls to come play us.  If this ends up being a special season, we will have these two teams to thank for preventing us from having an awful non-conference schedule.

slufanskip, Adman and bauman like this

1 minute ago, SluSignGuy said:

I am not one of the quoted above, but I said some negative things in this thread.  I am very excited about this team, and they did a great job coming back. But I think tonight did show that we are not as good as I think some like to think we are. 

Particularly, we saw what happens when we go against a very good BIG man.  French is probably the best power forward the Billikens have had in the time I have been a fan, but his size will hold him back.  We won't see many big men like that in the A-10, but we very well could in March.

We also had some very bad turnovers.  NC State's defense was good, but Evans, McCall, and Jett teams were much more disciplined.  I still think too many players on the current team go into "hero" ball mode.  This team has many more options than the Evans, McCall, and Jett team, which is fantastic.  But I would say the team where Evans, McCall, and Jett are juniors and Ellis was a senior would beat this team, at least right now.

Good post.  Agreed with everything you said.  I do think this team can be better than the team mentioned in your post if we continue to improve (which I think we will).

Bills71 likes this

45 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

Where is the tremendous depth this team was supposed to possess? No 2nd half minutes for Thatch, Bell or Hargrove. Right now, it looks like Ford only trusts 7 guys with Jacobs and Gibson sharing a spot and Linssen spelling French. 

It’s 1 game, and was obviously matchup based. We were never going to have 10 different guys getting over 15 minutes a night. That doesn’t mean the other options don’t exist. Lol