KC Hankton update

GoMocs

He was the lead in the game article in newspaper:

Mocs persist to beat UNC Asheville, stay undefeated

some text

K.C. Hankton expected the nerves.

Making his University of Tennessee at Chattanooga debut not long after the NCAA announced Wednesday that all Division I transfers had been granted immediate eligibility, the 6-foot-7, 217-pound junior who began his college basketball career at Saint Louis entered at the 13:26 mark of the first half of Wednesday's home game against UNC Asheville.

However, it wasn't until his second stint of the first half — he returned to the court with 6:51 remaining — that Hankton got in a flow. So he took a shot, a 3-point attempt from the corner. Good.

"When you see that (first shot) go in, you're just ready to hoop," Hankton said.

So next it was a 3 from the left wing. Good. Then it was a 3 from the right wing. Same result.

Hankton ended up with a team-high 16 points in his UTC debut, and the Mocs rallied in each half, taking the lead for good on an A.J. Caldwell steal and layup with 5.4 seconds remaining in a 69-66 win at McKenzie Arena.

UTC (7-0) extended the best start in the program's Division I era and will try to keep that going at 3 p.m. Eastern on Saturday at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

In his last seven games as a Billiken, Hankton played a total of 19 minutes. In 12 games last season, he had eight rebounds. On Wednesday, he played 21 minutes and had eight rebounds. The first 3 he hit was the first he'd made since March 2, 2019, against George Mason, as he had missed his previous eight attempts outside the arc — including all six last season.

"I thought he was outstanding for a guy who hadn't been in a game, and really has had limited minutes in his career in games," UTC coach Lamont Paris said. "I was really happy for him to go out there and see the ball go through the net.

story at

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2020/dec/16/mocs-persist-beunc-asheville-stay-undefeated/538002/

our board:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mocnation/

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

53 minutes ago, GoMocs said:

Good morning, I stopped by to ask about KC last summer after he transferred to Chattanooga. The game plan had been for him to redshirt as we didn't really need him this year and he would have had to get a waiver approved. Well, given some departures and the NCAA granting the blanket waiver yesterday he played last night...o boy did he play.

Came off the bench and within four or so minutes hit his first three shots, all three pointers. He played great and was part of a game winning play: 

His stats:

22 minutes played, 6 of 7 from the field, 3 of 4 from three point range, 1 of 2 free throws, 8 rebounds, a block and a total of 16 points.

UNC-Asheville is a decent D1 team...this wasn't against a D2 or D3 team.

Everything I have heard about him says he is a good kid and student.  Whomever recruited him at SLU saw talent in him, which he has. 

Just wanted to give yall an update. Thanks, stay safe, and Merry Christmas.  Best of luck this season. 

We always knew he could play but he just felt he needed to go some place else - wel wished him luck and are glad he is doing well.

KC showed flashes of talent here but never could quite find his role. I always thought he was a little too slow to play wing and not strong enough to play 4 at his height. Looks like he maybe out on some muscle based on that pic, which should serve him well. I’m glad he had a good first game, and hope he has a very successful career for the Mocs. I always root for former Bills to have success. 

speaking of... I wonder if Carteare will play for Grambling now with the blanket waiver for transfers. I know he was hoping for a waiver before the season. 

20 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

speaking of... I wonder if Carteare will play for Grambling now with the blanket waiver for transfers. I know he was hoping for a waiver before the season. 

I think going to Grambling would count as at least a second transfer so he still won't be eligible this year. This is 4th school in 3 years, must be a dubious record of some kind.

20 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

KC showed flashes of talent here but never could quite find his role. I always thought he was a little too slow to play wing and not strong enough to play 4 at his height. Looks like he maybe out on some muscle based on that pic, which should serve him well. I’m glad he had a good first game, and hope he has a very successful career for the Mocs. I always root for former Bills to have success. 

injuries slowed KC quite a bit

I think the point to follow here will be KC's health.  Guy could never stay healthy with us despite the promise.  It's only one game, so let's see what the results are as we move down the Chattanooga road.  But good for him with the fresh start.  I also can't wait to see the results of Madani Diarra's transfer.  Not calling it either way, just curious.

Gordon is listed on Grambling's roster but hasn't played a game for the 2 and 3 Tigers.  Interesting, he is listed as being from "Gordon, PA."  Which is a small town of less than 1,000 people right by my hometown.  Says he was born there?  Huh?

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I think the point to follow here will be KC's health.  Guy could never stay healthy with us despite the promise.  It's only one game, so let's see what the results are as we move down the Chattanooga road.  But good for him with the fresh start.  I also can't wait to see the results of Madani Diarra's transfer.  Not calling it either way, just curious.

Yep.  For me it is all about health with KC.  If he can stay healthy I think he'll be a very good player for Chattanooga.  If he was healthy at SLU he'd perhaps be a role player on this year's team coming off the bench.  He's a great fit at Chattanooga's level.

Similar to @Pistol.  I want us dominating the A10 with a deep roster every year.  That will inevitably lead to some transfers of guys who for whatever reason (health, talent, need a change of scenery) can't crack the rotation or fulfill their potential.  I'd like to see those guys move down a level, dominate, and have no ill feelings about leaving.  That reflects great on SLU.  KC is a prime example of that kind of player.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Gordon is listed on Grambling's roster but hasn't played a game for the 2 and 3 Tigers.  Interesting, he is listed as being from "Gordon, PA."  Which is a small town of less than 1,000 people right by my hometown.  Says he was born there?  Huh?

Maybe he's wants to be a PA? I think I saw him behind the bench and joining team during timeouts on the + last night. could only see his legs but had his flow.

7 hours ago, dennis_w said:

injuries slowed KC quite a bit

I haven't read the entire waiver rule change, but from what I have seen, it doesn't appear that the rule change will benefit our nomad CAG.  He has transferred within D 1 schools twice already, so good luck to the Statesman at Grambling.