The Bills over NCSt by 3

The Wiz

It's showtime....

NCSt is an A team ... The Bills are an A team. This game will be similar to the LSU game....who by the way is still an A team.

First, let's look at the report card before we discuss the game

.............................SLU..........................NCSt........................................................SLU.....................................NCSt

.............................................OFF.....................................................................................................DEF...............

PPG.........................A.............................A................................................................A-.....................................A+

FG%.........................A+ 9th ITN............A+ 13th ITN...............................................B-......................................C+

3Pt%........................A+ 4th ITN.............A+ 5th ITN................................................D+......................................D+

FT%.........................B+.... ......................D-........................................................................................................

Reb.........................D+............................D-................................................................A+ 10th ITN......................B-

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF Rebs = opp reb

UP....Defense....PPG...FG%...3P%..

Down...Offense....PPG...FT%...Reb

Top 100 ITN (In The Nation)

Assts...Collins....11th....up

Rebs...Goodwin....20th....up

PPG.....Perkins......68th.....dn

Stls......Goodwin.....65th....dn...Collins...65th...new

3P%...Hargrove...33th....dn....Jacobs...39th... up.....Perkins....83rd...up

Blks...French....41st

Double Double...Goodwin...3rd...up 

NCSt

3P%......Hellems....33rd...Allen...39th...Seabron...39th

Blks...Bates...23rd

Injury report....None

Offense slipped a little ...Defense improved ...Overall.... team is slightly up.  The offense has been sky high, so a little slippage is normal especially as we play better teams.  Glad to see the D is picking up ...we will need that against the better competition.

Our advantage in this game is rebounding (we need to dominate the boards) and FT shooting( hard to believe I am saying this after last year). This game maybe decided at the charity stripe. Another important factor will be 3pt shooting...while the grades show we are equal, I think we are the better shooting team, provided we play D.  They can make the shots, if uncontested... we can make it either way. If we play 3P D , we have the edge.  A side note , neither team has a very good grade in 3P D, but we did a  nice job last game.  And finally TOs....First the good news...On TOs we have a B....on opp TOs ...an A- .....The bad news.....they have an A- on TOs ...on opp TOs  ..an A+ ...3rd ITN.....Protect the ball or we lose.

WWN2D2W....Daniels is their main man...Hold him to 14 pts...On 3 pt shooting hold the team to five 3PM....Out rebound  them by 8....Match them on TOs...which means we will have to hang around 10.

Bottom line ...I think we are the better team....The numbers show we are equal but here is the difference.... The Pack's opponents look like this....D ...D...D-...They have not played anybody above D...meanwhile , we have an A and a B-  under our belt....We have grades on stats  that match up yet we have played some tougher teams. And thus, we have the reason for this game....Not only to help their SOS but as an ACC team they will be facing 3 A+ teams plus 3 A teams. You can't get ready for that by playing D teams.  They are playing us because right now we are like a good ACC  team....

Now we just have to play like one and beat them....

Road to the Poll...1 down ...2 to go.

GoBills73, Zink, A10Ref and 1 other like this

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

It's showtime....

NCSt is an A team ... The Bills are an A team. This game will be similar to the LSU game....who by the way is still an A team.

.............................SLU..........................NCSt........................................................SLU.....................................NCSt

.............................................OFF.....................................................................................................DEF...............

PPG.........................A.............................A................................................................A-.....................................A+

FG%.........................A+ 9th ITN............A+ 13th ITN...............................................B-......................................C+

3Pt%........................A+ 4th ITN.............A+ 5th ITN................................................D+......................................D+

FT%.........................B+.... ......................D-........................................................................................................

Reb.........................D+............................D-................................................................A+ 10th ITN......................B-

Blks...French....41st

NCSt

Blks...Bates...23rd

Injury report....None

Offense slipped a little ...Defense improved ...Overall.... team is slightly up.  The offense has been sky high, so a little slippage is normal especially as we play better teams.  Glad to see the D is picking up ...we will need that against the better competition.

Our advantage in this game is rebounding (we need to dominate the boards) and FT shooting( hard to believe I am saying this after last year). This game maybe decided at the charity stripe. Another important factor will be 3pt shooting...while the grades show we are equal, I think we are the better shooting team, provided we play D.  They can make the shots, if uncontested... we can make it either way. If we play 3P D , we have the edge.  A side note , neither team has a very good grade in 3P D, but we did a  nice job last game.  And finally TOs....First the good news...On TOs we have a B....on opp TOs ...an A- .....The bad news.....they have an A- on TOs ...on opp TOs  ..an A+ ...3rd ITN.....Protect the ball or we lose.

WWN2D2W....Daniels is their main man...Hold him to 14 pts...On 3 pt shooting hold the team to five 3PM....Out rebound  them by 8....Match them on TOs...which means we will have to hang around 10.

Bottom line ...I think we are the better team....The numbers show we are equal but here is the difference.... The Pack's opponents look like this....D ...D...D-...They have not played anybody above D...meanwhile , we have an A and a B-  under our belt....We have grades on stats  that match up yet we have played some tougher teams. And thus, we have the reason for this game....Not only to help their SOS but as an ACC team they will be facing 3 A+ teams plus 3 A teams. You can't get ready for that by playing D teams.  They are playing us because right now we are like a good ACC  team....

NC State may be great at forcing turnovers against weak opponents, but tomorrow they won't be facing a weak opponent.  Their numbers will dip after the game against the Bills.

26 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

It's showtime....

Blks...French....41st

NCSt

Blks...Bates...23rd

Injury report....None

Curious as to how we would be a D+ in 3 pt defense. Teams are shooting 33.7% against us which would be about 150th as a team and are making 5.4 per game which would rank about 225th. 

10 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Curious as to how we would be a D+ in 3 pt defense. Teams are shooting 33.7% against us which would be about 150th as a team and are making 5.4 per game which would rank about 225th. 

My eye test says we leave the 3 point line too often to help inside. The only way an Indiana State could play with us is  if they hit a bunch of 3's. Most coaches philosophy is to defend  out. My theory is you should force in. Run them off the line. 

24 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I am showing 33.7% too, but that comes out to rank of 203 which would make us a D+. And remember we are still missing 10 % of the teams (teams that have not played a game yet)...so that puts us a little closer to the bottom.  As I noted in the original post, our 3 pt D was good the last game....if we continue at that pace our grade will continue to improve. We just need to hold the fort against the Wolf Pack this game.

slufanskip likes this

I think the three point percentage for our opponents might be a little misleading.  Our opponents have not been raining three pointers on us.  The average number of 3 pointers made against us isn't bad and our defensive efficiency numbers aren't bad.  We are taking chances defensively that result in the occasional wide open looks, but have far more often resulted in us stealing the ball or forcing another form of turnover.  We rank 10th in steals per possession and 16th in turnovers forced per possession. 

The Wiz likes this

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

It's showtime....

Blks...French....41st

NCSt

Blks...Bates...23rd

Injury report....None

How do you factor in playing at home with no crowds - do you treat it as a neutral site or some kind of hybrid situation?

28 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I am showing 33.7% too, but that comes out to rank of 203 which would make us a D+. And remember we are still missing 10 % of the teams (teams that have not played a game yet)...so that puts us a little closer to the bottom.  As I noted in the original post, our 3 pt D was good the last game....if we continue at that pace our grade will continue to improve. We just need to hold the fort against the Wolf Pack this game.

You're right at 210th but you can take into account some teams haven't played but also that many teams have just played 1 or 2 games. Just my opinion but a more accurate look at how we are doing would be to see where we would rank using last years stats. For example we as a team hit 5.4 per game last year ranking us 323rd. We are allowing 5.4 per game this year. Now admittedly we've only had 95 attempts against us per game which would rank us near the top 50 in least attempts per game. In the end we allow very few attempts and very few made so just in my opinion this seems a time when actual stats don't actually portray an accurate picture. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

My eye test says we leave the 3 point line too often to help inside. The only way an Indiana State could play with us is  if they hit a bunch of 3's. Most coaches philosophy is to defend  out. My theory is you should force in. Run them off the line. 

but the number of 3 pointers made and taken against us is pretty low when assessed against a full season of data (last years) The wide variation in number of games played this year imo render many stats so far this year as questionable. I'd bet in most cases the stats this year will come close to the same as they did last year. For example comparing 3 pointers attempted and 3 pointers made in 2019/20 and 2018/19 ... 5.4 made and 19 attempts allowed would have us ranked in the same general ballpark. Very good in both categories. 

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

How do you factor in playing at home with no crowds - do you treat it as a neutral site or some kind of hybrid situation?

I am using my regular homefield advantage.

While we as fans like to believe we are the reason our team wins at home ...the truth of the matter is, there are many factors that go into home court advantage. ...Travel- How far  is the destination for the visitors and how long to get there...What kind of venues  do you play in and how do those venues affect the sight lines.  The number 1 home field advantage is Univ of Denver...Why?  Because there is no air to breathe...visitors  are huffing and puffing enough to give the Pioneers   a 7 pt advantage.

As to specifically no crowds....the feeling among some handicappers ( I fall into this category) is the stress of covid (everything is harder to do for everybody) offsets the loss of crowd. In other words, whatever the home team loses in crowd support, the visiting team loses in covid travel....whether it is having to take less players, lock down and qurantine where ever you go, longer than normal  travel times...etc.  Again this is being tested now...and if it  is not an exact offset it  is close. And there are those who just use some fraction of home field advantage.

My system adjusts as  it goes anyway so as time goes on the factor of no crowd will change if necessary.

20 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

You're right at 210th but you can take into account some teams haven't played but also that many teams have just played 1 or 2 games. Just my opinion but a more accurate look at how we are doing would be to see where we would rank using last years stats. For example we as a team hit 5.4 per game last year ranking us 323rd. We are allowing 5.4 per game this year. Now admittedly we've only had 95 attempts against us per game which would rank us near the top 50 in least attempts per game. In the end we allow very few attempts and very few made so just in my opinion this seems a time when actual stats don't actually portray an accurate picture. 

This is why I always mention the 8 games to get a full set of data. No question, it is a small sample size not only for 3P shots but on all data....In 3 more games we will have a truer picture.    The grades at this time are more for picking up trends....Are we an A team?  Maybe....We will have a better  answer in 3 games.  It is like checking your grades after the 1st month of class and you see you have an A so far . Does that mean you are an A student? ...maybe...you are off to a good start...but you will have a much better idea after a few more weeks.

I could look at last year's data...I do so for historical info ...In another thread , I mention what FT % grades looked like over the years. But I think it is important to show current data and grade it on the curve... again so everyone can see the current  trends.  Besides, the old 3P data only goes back a year because of the new 3P distance. In another 3 games most of the anomalies will be pretty much gone and give an accurate picture of who we are.

This year is especially tough to gather data because of covid.  What happens in a couple of weeks if the Bills have 9 games under their belt and our opponent has played  only 2 games. I know what kind of team the Bills are but the opponent is a question mark.  I will have to dig out the preseason predictive model well into  January which I plan to do.  It is possible some teams may not reach the 8 game mark this season.....Remember teams need 13 games to qualify for post season

As the Chinese proverb goes...may you live in interesting times.

slufanskip likes this

34 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

As to specifically no crowds....the feeling among some handicappers ( I fall into this category) is the stress of covid (everything is harder to do for everybody) offsets the loss of crowd. In other words, whatever the home team loses in crowd support, the visiting team loses in covid travel....whether it is having to take less players, lock down and qurantine where ever you go, longer than normal  travel times...etc.  Again this is being tested now...and if it  is not an exact offset it  is close. And there are those who just use some fraction of home field advantage.

According to the NC State board, they're only bringing nine players, and which nine is not known by the posters on the board.  

40 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I am using my regular homefield advantage.

While we as fans like to believe we are the reason our team wins at home ...the truth of the matter is, there are many factors that go into home court advantage. ...Travel- How far  is the destination for the visitors and how long to get there...What kind of venues  do you play in and how do those venues affect the sight lines.  The number 1 home field advantage is Univ of Denver...Why?  Because there is no air to breathe...visitors  are huffing and puffing enough to give the Pioneers   a 7 pt advantage.

My system adjusts as  it goes anyway so as time goes on the factor of no crowd will change if necessary.

Thanks for the explanation

4 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

According to the NC State board, they're only bringing nine players, and which nine is not known by the posters on the board.  

That is exactly what I said a few hours ago. We do not know if they are bringing their top players, or a mix of scholarship players, or whoever is available scholarship player or walk on. The models work only when the team is whole and ready to play minus the occasional absence due to injury that keeps someone from playing. This is probably not the case for this game.

34 minutes ago, Scoop said:

They have 9 players that play double digit minutes. I’m gonna go way out on a limb and bet that they are the 9 that they bring.

-how wrong you are, they are taking a page from the Vandy playbook and bringing 9 members from their Rifle team 'cause they can really shoot, my gosh why would they bring their best players?