GDT: Sycamores

wgstl

Random post-game thoughts:

Nice to get a win above the projection against a better than average team in a game when Gibson was very un-Gibson like.  3 for 9 total and 1 for 4 from the arc.  Playing the "M" game, he was in fact Jimerson when we will need him to be Jimmmmerson in the next 2 games.

JG helped in the 3-pt category with a better than average game and JP was JP but we need to get him more 3 pt attempts.  Fred needs a refresher course on how to guard the outside jump shot without fouling but man can he sky for rebounds and once again DJ reminded us of how athletic he is when attacking the basket.

Small sample size but you would have expected better than 50% from the FT line in a game when none of our attempts were taken by HF.

Our next two games are against mid-level teams in the 2 best P6 conferences.  Probably at the same point on the degree of difficulty scale as LSU so lets go out and get the same result and solidify ourselves as a top 20 team.  BTW, a spot appears to have opened up in the top 25 poll with #24, Clemson, losing last night

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Westy03 said:

It will be on ESPN+ at the very least. 

Checked this morning. So far, no listing. ACC network is out. They're doing two women's games. ESPNU might be an option as they are listing like 5 Tx A&M football reports in a row. That would be a pretty limited audience, ie only so many twelfth men are going to sit thru 5 consecutive reruns of the same show. 

Here's my question on ESPN+, I think they get their feeds from local stations that broadcast a team's local home games. Since FSMW is not doing the game, where would they get the crew to broadcast the game? It would be a shame to miss this one, but I'm not holding out much hope at this point. 

5 minutes ago, bauman said:

Nice to get a win above the projection against a better than average team in a game when Gibson was very un-Gibson like.  3 for 9 total and 1 for 4 from the arc.  Playing the "M" game, he was in fact Jimerson when we will need him to be Jimmmmerson in the next 2 games.

JG helped in the 3-pt category with a better than average game and JP was JP but we need to get him more 3 pt attempts.  Fred needs a refresher course on how to guard the outside jump shot without fouling but man can he sky for rebounds and once again DJ reminded us of how athletic he is when attacking the basket.

Small sample size but you would have expected better than 50% from the FT line in a game when none of our attempts were taken by HF.

Our next two games are against mid-level teams in the 2 best P6 conferences.  Probably at the same point on the degree of difficulty scale as LSU so lets go out and get the same result and solidify ourselves as a top 20 team.  BTW, a spot appears to have opened up in the top 25 poll with #24, Clemson, losing last night

My one negative thought about last night's game was Has's play down low. I think he had 3 travel calls, shuffling feet, and was blocked twice. I don't think he recognized the double teams on him and tried to beat them single handedly rather than clear the ball to the perimeter. I'm sure this will get fixed but he looked out of synch last night. As for Jimerson, he just never got into the flow of things, however, he did look good on a couple of fakes where he made a mid range shot and a floater. 

19 minutes ago, bauman said:

BTW, a spot appears to have opened up in the top 25 poll with #24, Clemson, losing last night

Virginia Tech is the team that beat Clemson.  VaTech is/was right behind us in the AP Poll and ahead of us in the Coaches Poll.  I'm sure their fan base is also assuming they will jump into the Top 25.  We will just take care of business and see what happens.

8 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I'm watching the game again and Scott H says the Bills want to push the pace, speed you up and make you play at a pace that you're uncomfortable at. 

I had to rewind and listen again. I always believed the Bills could be a top 25 level team but honestly I'd be lying if I said that was a statement I ever thought I'd hear and not think it a ridiculous statement. 

The opposite of when we were hearing we were in the 350s for FT%

44 minutes ago, bauman said:

Virginia Tech, currently #28, will just take back the spot on the strength of winning over Clemson.  However, the loser of UNC vs Ohio State game on Saturday will drop out of the top 25.  And if Louisville can't pull off the upset against Wisconsin on Saturday, so will they.

bauman likes this

8 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I'm watching the game again and Scott H says the Bills want to push the pace, speed you up and make you play at a pace that you're uncomfortable at. 

I had to rewind and listen again. I always believed the Bills could be a top 25 level team but honestly I'd be lying if I said that was a statement I ever thought I'd hear and not think it a ridiculous statement. 

ive been preaching speed up the game on both ends for a couple of years now.    the forced turnovers and easy baskets are point spread makers.    we got the depth we should use it.   and it appears we finally are.   this is a hell of a lot of fun to watch.    imo the best billiken team since ed mccauley's national championship team if not even better.    with the right developments and a few breaks, who knows.   i find myself asking myself, "why not the billikens?"

It's so big when Goodwin can knock down some 3s. Just having him be a threat that defenses have to account for will make a huge difference. It didn't seem like Perkins did much, but he still got 18 - haha! This year, I have noticed that Perk is a really under-rated passer too. Collins is so awesome. Every time he drives and dishes to Jimmer I get a basketball chubby. Has didn't quite get into the flow of the game. Jacobs has been so steady. It's like having a 6th starter. Linnsen continues to be solid. Nothing flashy, but extremely valuable.

I was glad to see Thatch get a lot of minutes, but he still has a ways to go to find his groove. NC State has Daniels and Minnesota has Carr - these are two potential defensive assignments that Thatch figures to get... just be a pest and slow them down a bit.

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

ive been preaching speed up the game on both ends for a couple of years now.    the forced turnovers and easy baskets are point spread makers.    we got the depth we should use it.   and it appears we finally are.   this is a hell of a lot of fun to watch.    imo the best billiken team since ed mccauley's national championship team if not even better.    with the right developments and a few breaks, who knows.   i find myself asking myself, "why not the billikens?"

I think there were times we wanted to but just weren't able. The depth is partially why we can speed it up, but the main reason is Yuri. Rebound, ball to Yuri and everyone else breaking down the floor with their eyes open. Yuri is able to push the ball up with a 1/2 court or longer pass at anytime if the defense isn't ready. If he's pushing the ball up with the dribble the break just runs so much smoother and more efficiently than it ever has in the past. 

Just now, slufanskip said:

I think there were times we wanted to but just weren't able. The depth is partially why we can speed it up, but the main reason is Yuri. Rebound, ball to Yuri and everyone else breaking down the floor with their eyes open. Yuri is able to push the ball up with a 1/2 court or longer pass at anytime if the defense isn't ready. If he's pushing the ball up with the dribble the break just runs so much smoother and more efficiently than it ever has in the past. 

we had the depth last year.   even with thatch and jimmmerson out we were still seeing hargrove anchored on the bench till about 3/4 of the season and the starters all playing 30+ minutes a game.   i just never bought into the shuffle offense running the shot clock down to 4 seconds and then throwing up a prayer.   surely speeding up the game would have had a net positive effect on the offensive output imo.    but i dont care any more.   we are finally doing it and the results are fantastic.   

slufanskip likes this

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Going along with that, there is also the higher level of confidence with our guys finishing. 2 or 3 on 1s in previous eras weren't nearly as easy as they should have been. 

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

imo the best billiken team since ed mccauley's national championship team if not even better.    with the right developments and a few breaks, who knows.   i find myself asking myself, "why not the billikens?"

I agree with this. I think talent wise this is the best team the Bills have had in most of our lifetimes.

I think an interesting matchup would be the 2012-2013 team.

That team was deep. Had seniors leadership with Mitchell, Ellis, Remekun. 
The Juniors were coming into their own with Jordair, McCall, Evans, Lowe and Barnet. 

In the end I think  this years talent would pull it out but it would be a fun matchup.

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

we had the depth last year.   even with thatch and jimmmerson out we were still seeing hargrove anchored on the bench till about 3/4 of the season and the starters all playing 30+ minutes a game.   i just never bought into the shuffle offense running the shot clock down to 4 seconds and then throwing up a prayer.   surely speeding up the game would have had a net positive effect on the offensive output imo.    but i dont care any more.   we are finally doing it and the results are fantastic.   

and they did play faster last year. Their scoring was up significantly and higher than any Bills team that comes to mind. Playing faster and pressing isn't something you just say go do and it happens. We are 5 games into Yuri and Hargrove's soph season. They sped up last year and now seem to be taking another step in that direction. 

Last year they finished in the top half of D1 in scoring and finished the last 7 games with an average that would have had them just outside the top 100. That is significant progress

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I agree with this. I think talent wise this is the best team the Bills have had in most of our lifetimes.

I think an interesting matchup would be the 2012-2013 team.

That team was deep. Had seniors leadership with Mitchell, Ellis, Remekun. 
The Juniors were coming into their own with Jordair, McCall, Evans, Lowe and Barnet. 

In the end I think  this years talent would pull it out but it would be a fun matchup.

Would be fun to see this match up

Yuri - Mitchell

Goodwin - Jett

Jimerson - McCall

Perkins - Evans

French - Loe

BuiltFordBills likes this

I've been really pleased with Linnsen. I thought he'd give depth minutes but he has been a meaningful contributor and looks like he belongs.

Bell and Thatch need to get up to speed. They will still be very valuable.

We know what French can do but he looks like he may be pressing things a bit.

I think Collins has been our best player so far.

Even on a night where Jimerson struggled to shoot the ball, he draws so much attention from defenses which opens things up for everyone else. 

Goodwin turned it over too much against LSU but the game looks like it comes easy to him this year

Jacobs is perfect as a 6th man. He looks comfortable in that role and is more assertive 

Perkins is going to continue to get more defensive attention but he's such an efficient and crafty scorer

Hargrove is going to have more quiet games than big ones but I have trust in him if he's out there in crunch time in a big game

This is a loaded team. I don't want to get ahead of myself but this team is really really good.

36 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

To be honest with you, I don't know if it is dependent on the right developments or a few breaks.  Barring injuries, this team is a legit Final Four contender in my opinion.  I wouldn't say they are one of the favorites, but without a doubt they are a legit contender.  This wouldn't be a George Mason, Loyola or VCU type run to the Final Four.  This would be a team that could correctly claim their where one of the best four teams in the country if they would make it.

slufanskip and billiken_roy like this

Two things I love to watch about this team that were on display last night: 1) Yuri catching outlet passes already on the run, looking for cutters/shooters in transition and 2) Jacobs actively probing, looking for driving lines and angles knowing that he can beat his man off the dribble every time. 

slufanskip likes this

31 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

13 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

and they did play faster last year. Their scoring was up significantly and higher than any Bills team that comes to mind. Playing faster and pressing isn't something you just say go do and it happens. We are 5 games into Yuri and Hargrove's soph season. They sped up last year and now seem to be taking another step in that direction. 

Last year they finished in the top half of D1 in scoring and finished the last 7 games with an average that would have had them just outside the top 100. That is significant progress

These numbers are still small samples, but interestingly KenPom only has us 298 of 351 in "adjusted" tempo.  We're 174 in "raw" tempo.  I assume the adjustment is because our schedule so far featured team who play faster - all in top 140 except ISU & Central Arkansas is #4. 

Breaking our numbers down further we are #94 in average offensive possession length and #240 in average defensive possession length.  I think that speaks to us pushing it more often on offense than in the past, but maintaining our lock down defense that often forces teams into lengthy possessions.  When you average them out overall we play at a below average tempo.  Contrast that with a well known slow it down team in Virginia who is #308 on offense and #318 on defense.

I'd also say that for the 1st time in a long time we have a guy in Collins who can really handle the fast break and makes good decisions about when to push the ball and when to slow it down.  Having Collins also allows us to have secondary ballhandlers like Goodwin, Jacobs, etc. who can push it as well.  We can play up tempo if it is there, but we don't necessarily have to do it.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Here's my question on ESPN+, I think they get their feeds from local stations that broadcast a team's local home games. Since FSMW is not doing the game, where would they get the crew to broadcast the game? It would be a shame to miss this one, but I'm not holding out much hope at this point. 

FSMW didn't televise the Billiken Classic games (SIUE & LSU).  ESPN+ had some random guys on the call that I thought were students at one point, but I don't think that was the case.  In any event, they weren't very good.  Unless this get picked up by a regular ESPN channel I'd expect the same quality of announcers on ESPN+ as during those earlier games.

EDIT: FSMW has picked up the NC State game, so we won't have to suffer through bad announcers.  This is great news.  As we've witnessed listening to other A10 teams announcing crews during road games, Danny Mac and Highmark are really good announcers for local CBB games.

Edited by RUBillsFan
billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

FSMW didn't televise the Billiken Classic games (SIUE & LSU).  ESPN+ had some random guys on the call that I thought were students at one point, but I don't think that was the case.  In any event, they weren't very good.  Unless this get picked up by a regular ESPN channel I'd expect the same quality of announcers on ESPN+ as during those earlier games.

FSMW is doing the game

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I was thinking about this after the game as well. We'll be fine. Forget the pundits, they may look at scorers and say we're coming up short, but that's not really the case. Give Strickland and Lorentsson time to develop. Linssen is proving he can score in the paint. Actually, he's pretty crafty down low. Jacobs will likely step in for Perkins/Goodwin and then there's Thatch who's shaking off some rust. 

The big thing for Travis will be keeping our bench players motivated so that they know next season is their time to step into the spotlight. Then you've got the transfer/free agent market. If we can make a run this year, SLU may be an attractive landing spot for a bench player off one or two of the P5's who sees that he's being recruited over. See Fletcher at UK who may think a little home cooking might be a good move for him. Zaga has gotten these types in the past. I see no reason why we can't do the same.  

Right now, we're a senior dominated team with JGood, Perk, and Has. However, the reserves are there with loads of potential. Keeping them motivated and patient will be the trick. I'm sure the backups know this and will stay the course. 

I mean, it's dumb to look ahead when this could be a historically great season. But in the spirit of being dumb... next year's team is stacked.

Backcourt: Collins, Jacobs, Thatch, Russell

Wings: Strickland, Jimerson

Wing 4s: Hargrove, Lorrentson

Bigs: Bell, Linßen, Okoro

Lorrentson and Russell need to prove they can play, but that's still nine rock solid rotation guys, with an All A-10 PG, a potential All-A-10 big, and a lot of other good players. That's before any transfers or signings.