GDT: Sycamores

wgstl

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, almaman said:

do u have to keep readjusting? last night I had kmox website for audio and had to readjust too many times.

I did the same and didn’t have to adjust at all. I waited for the tip and then paused the video for maybe 15 seconds to get the radio synced.

I do know that radio.com is slower than using a true radio to listen to the game. Yes I still have one of those. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

french out court with the ball and dribbling is probably my biggest pet peeve on this team.    typically more bad than good happens from this scenario.    i understand things happen where he would need to come out and get the ball because a guard is caught without a dribble and cant get rid of it, but dammit, give it back and go back to the lane.  

and yes, the bringing it up thing is crazy.    surely between the other four better with the ball players that would be on the floor, one of them isnt down the floor already for a fast break opportunity.   i agree yuri circles around and gets the ball.   let perkins, goodwin and jimmerson/collins get out.   

I get what you're saying, but I have yet to see it burn us.  I think the same thing when it happens, but he always gets it across the timeline and hands it off to a guard.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I like faster pace also, however, I hope we always keep our defensive mentality. There is nothing better than watching a 30+ second defensive stand where the team is playing aggressively and together forcing a wild last minute shot or a shot clock violation. It's like a beautiful choreographed dance. Imo it's better than a great dunk.  

I also think that we you mix up your possessions, meaning pick your spots when you break out, it makes the fast break much more effective.  If you are rushing down the court every time, the other team is ready for it.  If you mix in fast breaks with deliberate half court possessions, you fast break ends up being much better.

This also allows you to retain the lockdown defense you mention.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I did the same and didn’t have to adjust at all. I waited for the tip and then paused the video for maybe 15 seconds to get the radio synced.

I do know that radio.com is slower than using a true radio to listen to the game. Yes I still have one of those. 

thanks will tinker mañana

Rewatched the game and noted that the Bills scored 28 points over the final 17 possessions on 12-13 FG shooting, 3-4 from the arc (all JGood) with 4 turnovers. It's a good thing we finished strong as ISU never stopped going hard as over the same 17 possessions, they scored 26.

Despite those 4 late turnovers, we only had 12 on the game for a good rate of 18.75%.

Also, Coach was upset with the last 6 mins of the first half, but we really didn't play that poorly. We got good shots but they didn't go down. It happens. There were three turnovers, 1 by Javonte where he slipped on the drive, and two by Yuri. Probably the only two mistakes made were Yuri's turnovers but they were both based on him getting more confidence in his ability to finish in the lane. He elbowed the defender while driving, and traveled instead of dishing to Gibson in the corner.

Just an aside, was talking to a retired friend, huge college hoops fan, who has become a big Billiken fan over the past 10 years just from the fact that I'm a fan. He's seen all or nearly all of the ranked teams so far this season, and he says that the Bills are the best team he's seen to this point. He's not saying that from a fan perspective but from a knowledgeable hoop junkie perspective. I really don't like mentioning these type of things as usually when I mention stuff like this, the team I'm talking about goes in the tank. Rolling the dice on this one and letting you know the opinion of someone who I think knows what he's talking about.

SLU_Lax and HenryB like this

35 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Rewatched the game and noted that the Bills scored 28 points over the final 17 possessions on 12-13 FG shooting, 3-4 from the arc (all JGood) with 4 turnovers. It's a good thing we finished strong as ISU never stopped going hard as over the same 17 possessions, they scored 26.

Despite those 4 late turnovers, we only had 12 on the game for a good rate of 18.75%.

Also, Coach was upset with the last 6 mins of the first half, but we really didn't play that poorly. We got good shots but they didn't go down. It happens. There were three turnovers, 1 by Javonte where he slipped on the drive, and two by Yuri. Probably the only two mistakes made were Yuri's turnovers but they were both based on him getting more confidence in his ability to finish in the lane. He elbowed the defender while driving, and traveled instead of dishing to Gibson in the corner.

Just an aside, was talking to a retired friend, huge college hoops fan, who has become a big Billiken fan over the past 10 years just from the fact that I'm a fan. He's seen all or nearly all of the ranked teams so far this season, and he says that the Bills are the best team he's seen to this point. He's not saying that from a fan perspective but from a knowledgeable hoop junkie perspective. I really don't like mentioning these type of things as usually when I mention stuff like this, the team I'm talking about goes in the tank. Rolling the dice on this one and letting you know the opinion of someone who I think knows what he's talking about.

-guessing not Gonz, Baylor or Iowa

18 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm pumped about the next game.  ACC school coming to Chaifetz.  Got a lil' test tonight but they didn't overlook ISU.  That's good these guys seem focused.  That's a hard thing especially with no classes right now and when classes are in they are mostly online.

I recall when a younger Coach K brought his Duke Blue Devils to Kiel Auditorium to play an early in his tenure version of Coach Rich Grawer's Billikens.  It wasn't pretty.

Later Coach Roy Williams brought his North Carolina Tar Heels to play Coach Brad Soderberg's Billikens at what is now known as the Enterprise Center.

19 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I think the lack of practice this past off season stopped Bell and TJ from building on their progress of last season. TJ improved his shooting, but missed the opportunity to improve his team play. Bell really needed to work on his scoring.  Both players were positioned to make big improvements over the summer....  It just didn't happen. 

Now not knowing how many games we will even play. Ford can't afford to take chances. We have to win every game we can and beat the spread.

There are just so many minutes to share. 

Bell is playing less because Linnson is just a better player at this time.  With SLU playing 4 guards/wings, he is just slotted down in the pecking order.  Linnson clearly is the first big off the bench.

Same with Hargrove.  Jimerson is just the better shooter and more polished player.  And Thatch is back fighting for playing time.  Hargrove will have his time, but for now he is fighting Thatch to be that second or third guard/wing off the bench.  Jacobs is clearly the first guard/wing off the bench.  That leaves Thatch and Hargrove fighting for playing time.

HoosierPal likes this

5 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Refs were giving ISU some pretty favorable calls down the stretch.  How many of those 26 were scored on FTs?

FT - 6-7

2pt. FG - 7-10

3pt. FG - 2-5

Turnovers - 0

So, 3 possessions wound up with free throws. You're probably referring to the 3pt. shooter getting fouled. Touch the shooter's fingers after the ball is released, the shooter falls down, some refs fall for it. It's like they look for that call for the drama of it.

5 hours ago, billikenbill said:

FT - 6-7

2pt. FG - 7-10

3pt. FG - 2-5

Turnovers - 0

So, 3 possessions wound up with free throws. You're probably referring to the 3pt. shooter getting fouled. Touch the shooter's fingers after the ball is released, the shooter falls down, some refs fall for it. It's like they look for that call for the drama of it.

That's less than I expected.  Fred got called for 2 questionable ones in a row.  The 2nd was the 3 pointer that you're talking about.  The first was when his man drove into the lane, Fred stayed with him, but maybe jumped a little early.  It looked to me like Fred jumped straight up or even backward / toward the hoop.  His guy jumped into him and drew a foul.  I thought it was a cheap one because the offensive player initiated the contact / came into his space.  Another one that whistle happy refs love to call because the player on D left his feet.