GDT: Sycamores

wgstl

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think H was underrated defensively.  He always drew the opposing teams best guard because he played with a couple of guys that weren’t great defensively.

That said, I would be shocked if Yuri doesn’t surpass H all around by his third season.

agreed on all counts

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pumped about the next game.  ACC school coming to Chaifetz.  Got a lil' test tonight but they didn't overlook ISU.  That's good these guys seem focused.  That's a hard thing especially with no classes right now and when classes are in they are mostly online.

22 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Ford "wasn't too happy at halftime" after the "worst 6 minutes we've played all season" to close the first half.

Says NC State is experienced and is going to press. Says he has a lot of respect for Keatts. Game came together late last night and this morning. Going to have to play a lot better Thursday, he said.

Think they got a little careless (cost me the 1st Half -7.5).

Going to need better effort from Has and Gibson Thursday ...both a little off tonight but still found ways to contribute.  That said the sheer depth of this team lends itself to someone always stepping up when we need it.   

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Jimmy Bell was pretty good last year, and will end up playing more minutes by the time this season is over. But I know what you mean.

I think the lack of practice this past off season stopped Bell and TJ from building on their progress of last season. TJ improved his shooting, but missed the opportunity to improve his team play. Bell really needed to work on his scoring.  Both players were positioned to make big improvements over the summer....  It just didn't happen. 

Now not knowing how many games we will even play. Ford can't afford to take chances. We have to win every game we can and beat the spread.

7 minutes ago, kappy96 said:

Think they got a little careless (cost me the 1st Half -7.5).

Going to need better effort from Has and Gibson Thursday ...both a little off tonight but still found ways to contribute.  That said the sheer depth of this team lends itself to someone always stepping up when we need it.   

I think the nature of this team with this depth is that not everyone can have a big night in the same game. That said, I'd really like to see French, Thatch, and Bell find their stride. They're really the only guys who haven't looked to be in top form yet.

(Yes, I'm aware all three have dealt with injuries fairly recently.)

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

FSMW not carrying NCS game. Other possibilities: ACC Network, ESPN 2, 3, U or +, FS1. It just might be the spur of the moment won’t allow for a broadcast crew to be assembled. Shame if we can’t see this. 

ESPN is showing ESPN+ for the game currently, so we're good.

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

FSMW not carrying NCS game. Other possibilities: ACC Network, ESPN 2, 3, U or +, FS1. It just might be the spur of the moment won’t allow for a broadcast crew to be assembled. Shame if we can’t see this. 

It will be on ESPN+ at the very least. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Coach in talking with rammer after the game “we need to continue to not play selfish .  On and OFF the court.  Some guys might not get minutes they want but they can’t let it effect them.”

When did we ever have a team where there was concern about players getting the minutes they deserve? Not even with Majerus. Not in my lifetime. Never had a team this deep. We're actually playing like the big dogs. I like.

cgeldmacher likes this

12 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I think the lack of practice this past off season stopped Bell and TJ from building on their progress of last season. TJ improved his shooting, but missed the opportunity to improve his team play. Bell really needed to work on his scoring.  Both players were positioned to make big improvements over the summer....  It just didn't happen. 

Now not knowing how many games we will even play. Ford can't afford to take chances. We have to win every game we can and beat the spread.

They’re both gonna end up playing plenty. A lot of it will depend on matchups. 

11 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I think Bell will be important against bigger teams. Linßen as advertised on offense. He's very foul prone and tends to bump guys  in the post that draws a whistle. I can see him picking up 4 fouls in 9 minutes against certain teams. 

I just don't think Bell is good enough on offense to make teams pay. Has is our best 5 against a lot of teams. 

TJ will help us win games this year. He's just a little shot happy, as when he took that early 3 in the first half. There will be games when he gives a huge boost off the bench like Jacobs has been doing. 

1 minute ago, Crewsorlose said:

I think Bell will be important against bigger teams. Linßen as advertised on offense. He's very foul prone and tends to bump guys  in the post that draws a whistle. I can see him picking up 4 fouls in 9 minutes against certain teams. 

I just don't think Bell is good enough on offense to make teams pay. Has is our best 5 against a lot of teams. 

TJ will help us win games this year. He's just a little shot happy, as when he took that early 3 in the first half. There will be games when he gives a huge boost off the bench like Jacobs has been doing. 

We haven’t seen Jimmy Bell anywhere near 100% yet this year. He’ll be fine.

HenryB likes this

4 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

When did we ever have a team where there was concern about players getting the minutes they deserve? Not even with Majerus. Not in my lifetime. Never had a team this deep. We're actually playing like the big dogs. I like.

If the coaching staff keep recruiting at this level, going 10 deep will be standard operating procedure.

Bell is likely going to play Sunday for more bursts or even an extended run. Minnesota has some size and presents a different challenge than we’ve seen this season. As long as the entire roster is ready when their number is called, Travis will trust anyone on this team. Big win, let’s keep it going! 

23 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

TJ is 5 for 7 from 3 this season (71%). He took a single attempt today, which was a wide open look in the second half. Not sure I'd call that "shot happy." 

ESPN has the box score up now. 

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We've got the talent level where guys averaging 3 ppg this year will suddenly average double figures after our seniors graduate.  But to prognosticators it will look like we don't have any scoring coming back.  

Agreed. We’ll be good next year even if it doesn’t stand out on paper. This is what good non Power 5 programs look like. It’s fun.

Littlebill likes this

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

This is a bad take regarding any player after 5 games of limited minutes, but it’s especially bad referring to TJ. He’s looked great and dismissing his improved shooting is an insane way to start a critique 

Compton likes this

I'm watching the game again and Scott H says the Bills want to push the pace, speed you up and make you play at a pace that you're uncomfortable at. 

I had to rewind and listen again. I always believed the Bills could be a top 25 level team but honestly I'd be lying if I said that was a statement I ever thought I'd hear and not think it a ridiculous statement. 

10 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

We've got the talent level where guys averaging 3 ppg this year will suddenly average double figures after our seniors graduate.  But to prognosticators it will look like we don't have any scoring coming back.  

I was thinking about this after the game as well. We'll be fine. Forget the pundits, they may look at scorers and say we're coming up short, but that's not really the case. Give Strickland and Lorentsson time to develop. Linssen is proving he can score in the paint. Actually, he's pretty crafty down low. Jacobs will likely step in for Perkins/Goodwin and then there's Thatch who's shaking off some rust. 

The big thing for Travis will be keeping our bench players motivated so that they know next season is their time to step into the spotlight. Then you've got the transfer/free agent market. If we can make a run this year, SLU may be an attractive landing spot for a bench player off one or two of the P5's who sees that he's being recruited over. See Fletcher at UK who may think a little home cooking might be a good move for him. Zaga has gotten these types in the past. I see no reason why we can't do the same.  

Right now, we're a senior dominated team with JGood, Perk, and Has. However, the reserves are there with loads of potential. Keeping them motivated and patient will be the trick. I'm sure the backups know this and will stay the course.