GDT: No Sleeves, No Aces

Pistol

Number 24 in the above photos is my good old pal Russ Grieger.  He played 2 years for the Billikens then transferred back home to Evansville, sat out a year, then 2 years for the Aces.  Smart move, his senior year they were undefeated National Champions D 2.  Also on that team was Jerry Sloan and Larry Humes.  They beat SIU three times that year who had Walt Frazier and several other great players.  If you would like to read more about those days read Russ’s book “The Perfect Season”.  We have stayed in touch for 60 years since we met when I was a walk on the freshman team with guys like Stan Leuchtefeld, Garry Garrison, Gil Beckmeyer and Jerry Strange.  We had fun playing before the varsity games at Kiel Auditorium.

I am very disappointed that today’s game won’t be on TV.  I am sad that this year’s Billiken team will have to deal with a pandemic besides all the other tasks this year and next too. This looks like one of the best teams they have had since I graduated in 1964.