GDT: No Sleeves, No Aces

Pistol

A day early, but ESPN forced my hand with a timely article about Evansville's famous/infamous sleeved jerseys.

Trigger warning: Significant Jim Crews content within. Proceed with caution. (Also quotes from former SLU assistant Marcus Wilson, Evansville senior and former Okawville HS star Noah Frederking, and more).

Bills by 25.

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

A day early, but ESPN forced my hand with a timely article about Evansville's famous/infamous sleeved jerseys.

Trigger warning: Significant Jim Crews content within. Proceed with caution. (Also quotes from former SLU assistant Marcus Wilson, Evansville senior and former Okawville HS star Noah Frederking, and more).

Bills by 25.

Back when I was still in Hoosierville, I fondly remember Evansville playing at Hinkle against Butler.; the sleeves and the robes.  The article mentions the tragic air plane crash in 1977 when all passengers died during takeoff.  One team member wasn't on the plane, being injured and out for the year, but died in a car crash two weeks later. 

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Back when I was still in Hoosierville, I fondly remember Evansville playing at Hinkle against Butler.; the sleeves and the robes.  The article mentions the tragic air plane crash in 1977 when all passengers died during takeoff.  One team member wasn't on the plane, being injured and out for the year, but died in a car crash two weeks later. 

What an incredible, sad story.

There were a lot of details in this that I had either forgotten or didn't know. The robes thing cracked me up - I was always puzzled by the sleeves when I was a kid but never realized they used robes on the bench. Only being able to do throwbacks by doing a baseball jersey - that's also classic.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

2fw. didn't know that

Back in the early 60s, my older brother’s junior high team played in sleeved jerseys. He was six years ahead of me and the school decided to buy new unis without the sleeves for our 9th grade team. I’d been looking forward to wearing my brother’s jersey and they ditched them just as I had the chance.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The fact that Evansville doesn't take the court to Princes "Purple Rain" in a purple light show at their home games is criminal misconduct by the Evansville athletic department over the last 30 years. 

You people in Evansville would really enjoy it.

Also, after every home win, the PA announcers needs to say “Game: Blouses!”

3star_recruit and SLU_Lax like this

21 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I remember when the plane went down HP.  My father is a Evansville alum and my whole family both sides are from that area. I still am close and fond of that area of Indiana so I have a soft spot for the purple aces but never when playing the Billikens.  I enjoyed the old MCC conference that gave the Billikens an opportunity to play Evansville twice a year.  My mom and I would watch some of those games together.

While visiting my grandparents in Evansville I began and developed my love for college basketball watching Bill Walton play for UCLA with my grandfather and dad on a black and white TV.  My dad and grandfather would talk about the purple aces but I was only interested in UCLA.

HoosierPal likes this

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

How did they beat UK last year and then go right in the toilet this year? Let's not take them for granted. Admittedly, I know nothing about them, so this may be a Chicken Little post. 

They were in the toilet immediately after the UK win last year, they haven’t won a game since mid December of last year 

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

How did they beat UK last year and then go right in the toilet this year? Let's not take them for granted. Admittedly, I know nothing about them, so this may be a Chicken Little post. 

Their head coach got caught banging a cheerleader, got suspended, got fired, and then they put Lickliter in charge towards the end of the season. That’ll toilet your program for a bit. 

We cant be at the game in body let's all be there in spirit.   Dress in your best billiken blue today to watch and cheer on the BILLIKENS! 

GO TEAM BLUE!

The robes looked like Boxer's robes, satin and very colorful.  Not always in the team colors.

Here is a nice link on some of the history of Evansville uniforms that was written this year

https://www.ibj.com/articles/sports-rainbow-colored-robes-and-orange-jerseys

evansvillerobe1.jpg

evansvillerobe2.jpg