GDT: Central Ark. Purple Bears

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RamJAMTIME said:

Agreed, but he only had one tonight. Thatch's block was icing on the cake after a great defensive set.

That defensive stop by Fred made one of Rammer and Earl's three plays of the game. That was as perfect as defense gets.

Zink, RUBillsFan and SLU1818 like this

Everyone agrees that we didn't play our best this game. But when I just re-watched, I can only come up with positive takeaways!

• Perkins' passing really has gone to another level. Tonight was fascinating because he didn't take many shots but still looked somehow improved from last year. So much more confidence with the ball and defensively.
  • Jacobs is an x-factor. His movement with the ball is so crafty, that you can forget how explosive he is. Not many players in our league can guard him in the open court. If he can take an extra step as a playmaker in the pick and roll then he can be an all-conference guy next season easily
  • Thatch looks much more comfortable handling the ball than he did two seasons ago. Goodwin similarly has a tighter handle than they used to. 

My last thing: because we are more explosive than we've been in a long time, it's easy to forget just how veteran / physically strong our team is relative to others across college basketball. The head of strength & conditioning has done a really good job. This is a big overlap with the Majerus and early Crews teams and really set us apart in the 2012-2014 period. 

2 hours ago, David King said:

Disagree. That's a bad stat. Bills should have significantly outrebounded CA. They shouldn't get lazy just because they are so superior offensively. JGood would agree.

normally, i would agree with that statement, but not in this case....The Bills had 72 shots to CA's 52, that's 20 defensive rebound opportunities we didn't have, which the large majority would have went to SLU...the focus in this case should be on the 27 turnovers forced along with 16 steals...

5 hours ago, NH said:

Everyone agrees that we didn't play our best this game. But when I just re-watched, I can only come up with positive takeaways!

• Perkins' passing really has gone to another level. Tonight was fascinating because he didn't take many shots but still looked somehow improved from last year. So much more confidence with the ball and defensively.
  • Jacobs is an x-factor. His movement with the ball is so crafty, that you can forget how explosive he is. Not many players in our league can guard him in the open court. If he can take an extra step as a playmaker in the pick and roll then he can be an all-conference guy next season easily
  • Thatch looks much more comfortable handling the ball than he did two seasons ago. Goodwin similarly has a tighter handle than they used to. 

My last thing: because we are more explosive than we've been in a long time, it's easy to forget just how veteran / physically strong our team is relative to others across college basketball. The head of strength & conditioning has done a really good job. This is a big overlap with the Majerus and early Crews teams and really set us apart in the 2012-2014 period. 

One other thing, Strickland caught my attention with his passing. Entry pass to Linssen,  could go unnoticed but he put it in the perfect spot. Many would not have attempted it, the other was a long bounce pass to jimmerson for a layup. 

then again there was the double dribble...as Spoon said about H Waksman....”the lord giveth and taketh away...

A little sloppy last night but I actually thought Central Arkansas had some decent players and they made some tough shots. Not saying they're going to win their conference or anything like that but they seemed like a fine team. Nice to win by 23 when we clearly didn't play our best.

I know this has been brought up by 50 people in 10 different threads but I really hope we can add another decent game to the schedule

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

A little sloppy last night but I actually thought Central Arkansas had some decent players and they made some tough shots. Not saying they're going to win their conference or anything like that but they seemed like a fine team. Nice to win by 23 when we clearly didn't play our best.

I know this has been brought up by 50 people in 10 different threads but I really hope we can add another decent game to the schedule

They were picked 7th - dead middle - in the 13-team Southland Conference. Stephen F. Austin is expected to repeat as champs. Bergersen was selected as a first-team all-conference player, though, and Jones was named to the preseason second team. If those two are clicking, they'll be able to upset anyone in that conference.

12 hours ago, Pistol said:

I feel like Jacobs should just take it himself more often. He looks like a cheat code when he has some room to run.

Jacobs is going to be a huge difference maker (already is).  He is playing with a level of confidence that is going to be dangerous for our opponents as the season progresses.  Can't wait to see where he is come tournament time.

bauman likes this

1 minute ago, joe_davola said:

Jacobs is going to be a huge difference maker (already is).  He is playing with a level of confidence that is going to be dangerous for our opponents as the season progresses.  Can't wait to see where he is come tournament time.

The thing that had me worried about Jacobs was how he was going to view his role with the team.  I really thought he might have transferred over the summer.  He has not only accepted it, but the comment that he wants to win sixth man of the year shows he relishes it this season.

Nice enough game.  Time to move on from these freshmen teams and hit some junior varsity before the A10 regulars start coming in. Evansville and Indiana State will be better gauges of how we are doing.

UCA had a veteran lineup and it showed.  A much appreciated stiffer test than SIUE and UAPB.  Gave up way too many threes but what is the answer?  Guys doubling and hedging on the ball will lead to that and UCA was veteran enough to hit them when available.  Every team in our league has guys that can shoot like that so we need to focus on that.  That was the only real negative for me.  Deep shooting leads to deeper rebounds so I'm not too concerned there for losing last night's rebound numbers.  

Lots of stuff to like... Yuri's game, Thatch's improvement, Hargrove's shot, Strickland's athleticism, ditto Jacobs.  Was not a game for Jimmy Bell as even UCA's "bigs" were more apt to shoot than not.  I thought despite Goodwin's numbers, he was somewhat out of control at times.  Bring on the old rival Aces for Saturday.  

4 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Nice enough game.  Time to move on from these freshmen teams and hit some junior varsity before the A10 regulars start coming in. Evansville and Indiana State will be better gauges of how we are doing.

CA is quite a bit better than Evansville. UE is on level with SIUE

6 hours ago, David King said:

Disagree. That's a bad stat. Bills should have significantly outrebounded CA. They shouldn't get lazy just because they are so superior offensively. JGood would agree.

You need to consider that CA had 27 turnovers...you have no opportunity for a rebound when the opposition doesn't take a shot. 

7 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Wow !  Really wgstl?  Depressing then.  We need some tests going forward to Minnesota.

According to Kenpom

138 Indiana state

243 Central ark 

284 UMKC

324 Evansville

328 SIUE

353 Pine bluff

Here is a scenario to consider: we get into conference season, have a Covid stoppage, miss 2 weeks. Come back and we are a little off. Lose 2 games. Fail to win the tournament. Finish great in league, but not the total amount of games. We might be 2nd or 3rd because of winning pct with a smaller sample size.  Do you think the selection committee let’s us in?

4 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Here is a scenario to consider: we get into conference season, have a Covid stoppage, miss 2 weeks. Come back and we are a little off. Lose 2 games. Fail to win the tournament. Finish great in league, but not the total amount of games. We might be 2nd or 3rd because of winning pct with a smaller sample size.  Do you think the selection committee let’s us in?

Pass

thats why it's the perfect year to let everyone in the tourney.   no conference tourney's just go straight to the big dance.   

almaman and AGB91 like this

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

We have a tough conference schedule down the stretch before a relatively easier home game vs Mason to finish out:

2/19/21 - @ Dayton

2/23/21 - @ VCU

2/2/21 - home vs Richmond

After the game @ Richmond on 1/29, those 3 games are projected to be our toughest conference games.

A COVID stoppage is dangerous not only for the health of our players, but also we've seen a lot of teams coming off a COVID stoppage that have underperformed / taken a game or two to get back up to speed.  Hopefully, we can avoid it entirely and, if not, hopefully the selection committee takes that into account.