Dunking - Strickland

ACE

Isn’t Fred Thatch’s game similar to JGood?
Fred can rebound, shoot, defend, bring the ball up, steal, and mix it up.

Fred looks fully recovered from his illness and injury and keeps getting better.

No one will replace JGood, just like Jett, Waldman, Mitchell, Perry, Dobbs etc...

RUBillsFan and HenryB like this

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Isn’t Fred Thatch’s game similar to JGood?
Fred can rebound, shoot, defend, bring the ball up, steal, and mix it up.

Fred looks fully recovered from his illness and injury and keeps getting better.

No one will replace JGood, just like Jett, Waldman, Mitchell, Perry, Dobbs etc...

If we're talking about any player on the roster who can possibly put up a Goodwin like stat line, then my money is also on Fred. He is similar in build with both being listed at 6-3 and 200-215 lbs.  He's also an excellent rebounding guard.  Thatch actually has a higher offensive rebounding % than Goodwin this season (12% to 10%), but Goodwin's D rebounding is much higher and Goodwin has put up the high O-reb % in a larger sample.  I think part of that D rebounding is by design because having Goodwin get the board allows us for more transition offense.  Fred may get more D reb opportunities next season.  Thatch has a similar steal % 3.1% vs Goodwin's 3.5%.  Thatch needs to improve his D by avoiding fouls though.

Thatch is behind Goodwin on offense though IMO.  He's not as good of a finisher at the rim & despite Goodwin not being a great 3pt shooter, Thatch has been worse.  Thatch makes up for this partially, by being a better FT shooter.  He also hasn't shown the PG abilities that Goodwin has with Yuri out.  That being said, I think that Thatch will improve on O as well.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

If we're talking about any player on the roster who can possibly put up a Goodwin like stat line, then my money is also on Fred. He is similar in build with both being listed at 6-3 and 200-215 lbs.  He's also an excellent rebounding guard.  Thatch actually has a higher offensive rebounding % than Goodwin this season (12% to 10%), but Goodwin's D rebounding is much higher and Goodwin has put up the high O-reb % in a larger sample.  I think part of that D rebounding is by design because having Goodwin get the board allows us for more transition offense.  Fred may get more D reb opportunities next season.  Thatch has a similar steal % 3.1% vs Goodwin's 3.5%.  Thatch needs to improve his D by avoiding fouls though.

Thatch is behind Goodwin on offense though IMO.  He's not as good of a finisher at the rim & despite Goodwin not being a great 3pt shooter, Thatch has been worse.  Thatch makes up for this partially, by being a better FT shooter.  He also hasn't shown the PG abilities that Goodwin has with Yuri out.  That being said, I think that Thatch will improve on O as well.

Goodwin's effective field goal percentage his sophomore year was 44%.  Fred's is currently 40% and is trending upward.  They both had issues finishing at that point of their career. 

Hopefully Fred can make the upperclassman jump and get closer to 50%.  I think more touches will help him get into a rhythm.  He's not a catch and shoot guy like Jacobs and will never excel in that role.  And he doesn't have Goodwin's all around game.  But he's totally capable of putting up 10 ppg 6 rpg if he gets starter minutes.

RUBillsFan likes this

9 hours ago, Pistol said:

Strickland has big-time defensive potential once he can put it all together. He had 7 steals in his first 4 appearances. Even though he didn't have any in the past two games, he would be averaging 6 steals per 40 minutes. He has incredible length and timing, and the way he runs the floor makes those steals all the more valuable because of how quickly he can turn them into something in transition.

He hasn't missed a FG since his first game (1-6 vs. SIUE). Granted, he tends to take high-percentage shots.

He's grown quite a bit even since we got his commitment. His dad was 6-9, so he might not be done, either. He's raw but there's a lot more there than a human highlight reel.

What are your thoughts on the rest of his offensive game outside of finishing at the rim? I feel like it was mentioned at some point that he had a decent jumpshot but was a bit streaky.

9 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-you are being kind using 'trouble' and 'anyone', there is only one Jordan Goodwin, enjoy him while we have him and pray he stays healthy

-no one "replaces" JGood

Nobody will be Goodwin. However someone will have to step up and try to fill Goodwin's shoes when next season comes.

15 hours ago, Glorydayzedandconfused said:

Goodwin replaced Jett in my mind as the face of the Billikens

Strickland has the tools Goodwin has in every aspect I have seen besides rebounding 

Goodwin’s drive and motor are once in a generation type qualities. We haven’t yet been able to see if Strickland approaches JGood in those areas.

On 12/8/2020 at 10:21 AM, ACE said:

One thing this board can agree on is that we all love dunking. Bold prediction - when it is all said and done, I think Strickland will have the best dunk in program history and may leave as the best dunker in program history. It's been only three games in, so this isn't based on much, other than looking at a little video and hearing some reports. On opening night, if he had gotten that one dunk to go down it would have instantly been on of the greatest in program history. He also had a pretty nice alley up last game as well. You can tell this kid is hunting dunks any time he gets a chance. So explosive, quick and high off the floor. And we have never had a team with this many good dunkers - French, Jacobs and Hargrove, but I think Strickland will be the best of the bunch.

"One thing this board can agree on is that we all love dunking." best line ever on board

ACE, Fraz and BilliesBy40 like this

15 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

If perk comes back, as some have indicated on another thread, what would happen to Strickland and THJ minutes?  They’re both not gonna ride the pine for another year.

What is there to do or worry about?  If they play hard in practice and prove they are worth the minutes, Coach Ford will play them. If they sit the bench next year then that indicates there may be a problem on their end. 

7 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

What is there to do or worry about?  If they play hard in practice and prove they are worth the minutes, Coach Ford will play them. If they sit the bench next year then that indicates there may be a problem on their end. 

All the top programs have good players who rarely see the floor.  That's an indication that recruiting is going well, not that there's a problem.

slufanskip and almaman like this

1 hour ago, AGB91 said:

With Lisch gone and Goodwin going, does Althoff have anyone else on the horizon to be a Great Billiken?

No

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

All the top programs have good players who rarely see the floor.  That's an indication that recruiting is going well, not that there's a problem.

Yes but Hargrove would be a third year Junior.  Juniors who don’t see the floor is not normal. 
Hargrove played last year, Is playing this year and I expect Hargrove to take many of JGood’s minutes next year. 
And barring an injury, I expect Strickland to play and see the floor next year. How much is up to him. 

I always chuckle when someone says who will replace player X.  Well you never replace anyone.  You put your best five out there and play ball.  Who 'replaced' Bess?  Goodwin you say, well then who replaced Goodwin who replaced Bess?  Doesn't work.  Each team is unique in it's personnel.  Coach figures out the best fit and moves forward.

1 hour ago, AGB91 said:

With Lisch gone and Goodwin going, does Althoff have anyone else on the horizon to be a Great Billiken?

As an Althoff grad, I can say not for the foreseeable future.  Enrollment is now south of 300 kids.

It’s close to a statistical miracle we’ve had 2 all time SLU greats in the last 20 years.

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I always chuckle when someone says who will replace player X.  Well you never replace anyone.  You put your best five out there and play ball.  Who 'replaced' Bess?  Goodwin you say, well then who replaced Goodwin who replaced Bess?  Doesn't work.  Each team is unique in it's personnel.  Coach figures out the best fit and moves forward.

It is naive to think a great player can be replaced. It’s happened but rare. The biggest that comes to mind is Walton replacing Jabbar. Every player’s different with their own strengths and weaknesses. I can see Fred being a very capable player for us next year, but he ain’t gonna be JGood 2. Just like Jacobs isn’t gonna be Perk 2.  I like what we have returning next year, but we’re going to be a different team. The only 2 players I can see who will avg 30mpg are Yurimania and Gibby. The rest of the minutes will be guys getting 20-25 mpg: Jacobs, Fred, TJ, Strickland, Linssen, Bell, Okoro. Hopefully the Swede stays and develops, because I’d love to see us with a 6’8” sniper who can get some boards and defend the 4. Of course, this will likely change as Travis will bring in a transfer or 2 or maybe a FR. For example, a lot of folks are high on McKissick coming here. I really don’t know how he compares to our current guards, but he looked pretty good when he played us in Dec. Or what if Fletcher or Clark get homesick? Would either of those two former 4 stars take minutes from our returnees? 

On 12/8/2020 at 10:21 AM, ACE said:

Bold prediction - when it is all said and done, I think Strickland will have the best dunk in program history

Where do his 2 dunks vs LaSalle rank all-time? 

I think I'd put his tomahawk above the alley-oop from J-Good.  I was more fired up after the alley-oop because I wanted J-Good to get a triple-double too.  Overall though I think the tomahawk was more impressive.  When he went up for that, I had this moment of dread that he was going to brick it.  I guess that is years of Billiken fandom never really seeing a guy throw down such a dunk.  Sort of backwards way of saying how impressive it was that I didn't think he'd actually pull it off.

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Where do his 2 dunks vs LaSalle rank all-time? 

I think I'd put his tomahawk above the alley-oop from J-Good.  I was more fired up after the alley-oop because I wanted J-Good to get a triple-double too.  Overall though I think the tomahawk was more impressive.  When he went up for that, I had this moment of dread that he was going to brick it.  I guess that is years of Billiken fandom never really seeing a guy throw down such a dunk.  Sort of backwards way of saying how impressive it was that I didn't think he'd actually pull it off.

Mo Jeffers against St B’s is the all time greatest dunk. Dr J quality Jam! 

SLU_Lax likes this

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes but Hargrove would be a third year Junior.  Juniors who don’t see the floor is not normal. 
Hargrove played last year, Is playing this year and I expect Hargrove to take many of JGood’s minutes next year. 
And barring an injury, I expect Strickland to play and see the floor next year. How much is up to him. 

Having the best Billiken scorer in decades back for a third year isn't normal but that could be what we're looking at.  And If Coach Ford signs an impact transfer, Hargrove and Strickland will be in same position in the pecking order as they are now. 

All the folks claiming that Bell would be a major contributor this year just assumed he would be better than the more experienced Linssen.  They were wrong.  And there's nothing wrong with Jimmy's game.  A better big just showed up.  

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

It is naive to think a great player can be replaced. It’s happened but rare. The biggest that comes to mind is Walton replacing Jabbar. Every player’s different with their own strengths and weaknesses. I can see Fred being a very capable player for us next year, but he ain’t gonna be JGood 2. Just like Jacobs isn’t gonna be Perk 2.  I like what we have returning next year, but we’re going to be a different team. The only 2 players I can see who will avg 30mpg are Yurimania and Gibby. The rest of the minutes will be guys getting 20-25 mpg: Jacobs, Fred, TJ, Strickland, Linssen, Bell, Okoro. Hopefully the Swede stays and develops, because I’d love to see us with a 6’8” sniper who can get some boards and defend the 4. Of course, this will likely change as Travis will bring in a transfer or 2 or maybe a FR. For example, a lot of folks are high on McKissick coming here. I really don’t know how he compares to our current guards, but he looked pretty good when he played us in Dec. Or what if Fletcher or Clark get homesick? Would either of those two former 4 stars take minutes from our returnees? 

It's statistically impossible for 2 guys to get 30 minutes and for 7 more guys to play 20-25 min.  

53 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

When I say replace, I guess I mean fill in their role. I think a healthy Thatch replaced Bess. He will put up great numbers next year like Bess did I hope.