Dunking - Strickland

ACE

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BuiltFordBills said:

Not to be knit-picky but I don't think Jacobs was a reverse dunk, just like a double clutch dunk.  I think it was very similar to his one against Lasalle last year, regardless still very pretty.

Not to argue, but I recall he was on the backside of the hoop. It happened pretty fast, so I may be wrong. 

10 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Excellent list. I’d also like to throw in Hargrove’s alley-pop from Yuri in the Bonnies game last year. I was at the game, kind of sitting on the far side of the court. We obviously had to win to get 4th place and the double-bye (Mega Bowl), and started off hot. I saw Yuri throw it up and it was like it happened in slo-mo, I was thinking “Oh my God, he threw it too high! He’s never going to get to it! We can’t afford silly turnovers like that tonight!” And then TJ comes out of nowhere and flushes it and I jumped out of my seat. That’s 1 of those plays that you see in person and remember for the rest of your life.

Agree.  Oop was insane.  I thought Yuri threw it away, it was 2/3rds of the way up the backboard.  Rammer’s reaction was great

Reinert310 likes this

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2020 at 10:21 AM, ACE said:

One thing this board can agree on is that we all love dunking. Bold prediction - when it is all said and done, I think Strickland will have the best dunk in program history and may leave as the best dunker in program history. It's been only three games in, so this isn't based on much, other than looking at a little video and hearing some reports. On opening night, if he had gotten that one dunk to go down it would have instantly been on of the greatest in program history. He also had a pretty nice alley up last game as well. You can tell this kid is hunting dunks any time he gets a chance. So explosive, quick and high off the floor. And we have never had a team with this many good dunkers - French, Jacobs and Hargrove, but I think Strickland will be the best of the bunch.

It seems like a good time to bring this one back up. Strickland has delivered 3 electrifying dunks in limited minutes over the last two games. In fact, we have had entire seasons where we didn't see SLU three dunks that good. The one on Saturday at Fordham off of a rebound was spectacular. So quick off the floor and he timed it perfectly.

Every time he steps on the court, I expect  something exciting happening. I really look forward to watching him develop over his career. I suggest putting videos of his best dunks in this thread as they happen. I think when his career is over, we'll be able to go back and look at a very impressive highlight reel.

32 minutes ago, ACE said:

It seems like a good time to bring this one back up. Strickland has delivered 3 electrifying dunks in limited minutes over the last two games. In fact, we have had entire seasons where we didn't see SLU three dunks that good. The one on Saturday at Fordham off of a rebound was spectacular. So quick off the floor and he timed it perfectly.

Every time he steps on the court, I expect  something exciting happening. I really look forward to watching him develop over his career. I suggest putting videos of his best dunks in this thread as they happen. I think when his career is over, we'll be able to go back and look at a very impressive highlight reel.

-I don't know who was in the game for LaS when Strickland entered, but his defense, which will get him minutes, looked pretty good

-was it the LSU game where CFord put him in for the last few seconds of the first half and he made a nice defensive play? if not LSU there was a game that happened like this

-Rammer and Earl refer to it as 'flight 2 ready for take off!' or something like that, pretty good

-that dunk at FU was not one we typically see from our guys, great to see

-I look forward to his contributions

Is it time to see Strickland in more meaningful minutes when Hargrove is struggling with his shot?

24 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Is it time to see Strickland in more meaningful minutes when Hargrove is struggling with his shot?

I am salivating at the thought of a Goodwin, Thatch, Hargrove, Strickland, French lineup where play old-style VCU HAVOC defense to force turnovers and then J-Good lobs alley-oops to the other guys on fast breaks off turnovers all game.  Heck plug Yuri in somewhere if you want to sub some length on D for better playmaking on offense.

Now obviously that isn't going to happen.  The fact that we have guys who I think would be very effective playing that style, but can also play effectively in the half court is pretty awesome.

I absolutely love how versatile this team is and how all the parts fit together so well.

CBFan and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-I don't know who was in the game for LaS when Strickland entered, but his defense, which will get him minutes, looked pretty good

-was it the LSU game where CFord put him in for the last few seconds of the first half and he made a nice defensive play? if not LSU there was a game that happened like this

-Rammer and Earl refer to it as 'flight 2 ready for take off!' or something like that, pretty good

-that dunk at FU was not one we typically see from our guys, great to see

-I look forward to his contributions

The boys were in great spirits n humor last night’s broadcast. 

All we have seen from Strickland so far is an incredible ability to throw down spectacular dunks.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  Hopefully, someone on the staff or a teammate like Goodwin can get in Strickland's ear and say "Dunking is great, but you cannot make a career of it.  Now it's time to go out and develop or, if you already have these things, show your mid-range shot, three point shot, defensive spacing and awareness, tenacity on both ends, rebounding, passing ability, etc."

6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

All we have seen from Strickland so far is an incredible ability to throw down spectacular dunks.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  Hopefully, someone on the staff or a teammate like Goodwin can get in Strickland's ear and say "Dunking is great, but you cannot make a career of it.  Now it's time to go out and develop or, if you already have these things, show your mid-range shot, three point shot, defensive spacing and awareness, tenacity on both ends, rebounding, passing ability, etc."

We have seen a lot more than dunks.  Strickland had a big block shot against LSU in the closing seconds of the first half.  Strickland also hit a pull-up 10 footer while breaking to the basket last night.  Strickland defended well and had a rebound in a crowd of players.

Coach Ford knows best so there is a reason Strickland is not on the court but the fan in me would like to see more.

I feel the same way about Bell and Hargrove, give me more.

22 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm thinking a lot of what you want of him was there when we signed him. We are not used to this stacked a roster. We have a dozen qualified guys and only 200 minutes a game to feed them. A better situation to be in than one where we struggle to field 5 decent folks, but still an issue. substitute TJ for Strickland and your post could of been from last season.

Strickland has big-time defensive potential once he can put it all together. He had 7 steals in his first 4 appearances. Even though he didn't have any in the past two games, he would be averaging 6 steals per 40 minutes. He has incredible length and timing, and the way he runs the floor makes those steals all the more valuable because of how quickly he can turn them into something in transition.

He hasn't missed a FG since his first game (1-6 vs. SIUE). Granted, he tends to take high-percentage shots.

He's grown quite a bit even since we got his commitment. His dad was 6-9, so he might not be done, either. He's raw but there's a lot more there than a human highlight reel.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Strickland has big-time defensive potential once he can put it all together. He had 7 steals in his first 4 appearances. Even though he didn't have any in the past two games, he would be averaging 6 steals per 40 minutes. He has incredible length and timing, and the way he runs the floor makes those steals all the more valuable because of how quickly he can turn them into something in transition.

He hasn't missed a FG since his first game (1-6 vs. SIUE). Granted, he tends to take high-percentage shots.

He's grown quite a bit even since we got his commitment. His dad was 6-9, so he might not be done, either. He's raw but there's a lot more there than a human highlight reel.

Goodwin replacement?

23 minutes ago, almaman said:

I'm thinking a lot of what you want of him was there when we signed him. We are not used to this stacked a roster. We have a dozen qualified guys and only 200 minutes a game to feed them. A better situation to be in than one where we struggle to field 5 decent folks, but still an issue. substitute TJ for Strickland and your post could of been from last season.

That's right. A truly stacked roster. Bell, Thatch and Jacobs have all started games and are now coming off the bench. Linnsen, Hargrove and Strickland would certainly be starters on many SLU teams from the past. It's great to have depth.

I think a good comparison is Jacobs as a freshman v. Strickland.  Both were essentially bench warmers. The difference is Jacobs looked like a deer in headlights whenever he got his limited minutes. His sophomore year, he quickly blossomed into a valuable player. Strickland, on the other hand, already looks extremely confident in his limited freshman year minutes. That bodes very well for his future.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I would have trouble calling anyone that, given what a unique player JG is.

-you are being kind using 'trouble' and 'anyone', there is only one Jordan Goodwin, enjoy him while we have him and pray he stays healthy

-no one "replaces" JGood

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-you are being kind using 'trouble' and 'anyone', there is only one Jordan Goodwin, enjoy him while we have him and pray he stays healthy

-no one "replaces" JGood

Goodwin replaced Jett in my mind as the face of the Billikens

Strickland has the tools Goodwin has in every aspect I have seen besides rebounding 

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

We have seen a lot more than dunks.  Strickland had a big block shot against LSU in the closing seconds of the first half.  Strickland also hit a pull-up 10 footer while breaking to the basket last night.  Strickland defended well and had a rebound in a crowd of players.

Coach Ford knows best so there is a reason Strickland is not on the court but the fan in me would like to see more.

I feel the same way about Bell and Hargrove, give me more.

Totally, agree.  I think our thoughts are the similar.  I want to see what more he has other than just dunks.  The specifics you mentioned are all examples of one play from each category.  Like you, I want to see more.  I also understand that we will only see more in blowout games.  This is fine.  That's how it is supposed to be.