SLU WBB vs Bradley

RUBillsFan

Julia Martinez apparently doesn't take kindly to us trashing her offensive game.  She's 3-6 from the floor, 4-4 from the line and leads the team with 10 points with 4 mins to go in the 1st half.  Also tied for a team high 3 assists and tacked on 3 rebounds for good measure.  SLU up 27 -21 over Bradley.

Just now, RUBillsFan said:

Julia Martinez apparently doesn't take kindly to us trashing her offensive game.  She's 3-6 from the floor, 4-4 from the line and leads the team with 10 points with 4 mins to go in the 1st half.  Also tied for a team high 3 assists and tacked on 3 rebounds for good measure.  SLU up 27 -21 over Bradley.

That's funny. I was just coming on to post she must read the board. She looked a bit unorthodox on that last lay up but otherwise looks like a different player

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Ciaja's 8-10 ft stop and pop is a pretty shot

I don't watch a ton of WBB.  Ciaja just seems head and shoulders above our other guards in terms of how smooth she looks handling the ball, shooting & even moving without the ball.  

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

SLU has opened up a 9 point cushion 57 - 48.  MST is a rebounding monster and Harbison is the best player on the floor.  Kent has been in foul trouble all game which has hurt SLU offensively.

Martinez and Kent switched stats. Julia really looks good today. I remember first seeing her in the Billiken madness last year. Besides Harvison she was the best player in the scrimmage. I was really expecting more last year, but like discussed earlier she brings things to the game not shown on a stat sheet. 

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Great pass by Martinez a minute ago. MST has to finish that. Then another 3 by Martinez. Bills opening up a big lead 14 pts

If MST learns to finish inside like Wilken did last year we'll be a lot better offensively.  She frequently gets good position or is in good position off an O board, but either can't finish or has questionable footwork leading to a tougher shot than it needs to be.

slufanskip likes this

Nice game by the Women. 69-54. Great games by Harbison with 25 pts and Martinez 17/8/4 with 1 t/o and a steal. She should have had 6 assists. 2 really nice passes for what should have been buckets were missed. Clark with 13/10/6 and 0 t/o's. MST with the 10/13 double/double. 

RUBillsFan likes this

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

69 - 54 final.

Harbison with 25 points.  Martinez shuts us up with 17 points on 5 -11 shooting, 2-4 from 3, and 5-6 from the line.  Double doubles for MST and Myia Clark.

Stewart didn't play.

Flowers didnt play in the second half

1 hour ago, slusam said:

1 hour ago, slusam said:

She only played 4 minutes in the game. After watching the way she closed out her freshman year, I thought she was going to end up one of the women’s all time greats. She hasn’t improved, and possibly regressed since then.

30 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

She only played 4 minutes in the game. After watching the way she closed out her freshman year, I thought she was going to end up one of the women’s all time greats. She hasn’t improved, and possibly regressed since then.

It’s kind of a sensitive topic when it comes to talking about development of women’s players athletically and skill wise. I hesitate to say this and don’t mean it in any demeaning way but women’s development can tend to stagnate regress more often than men. 

53 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

She didnt look happy from her seat under the basket

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

It’s kind of a sensitive topic when it comes to talking about development of women’s players athletically and skill wise. I hesitate to say this and don’t mean it in any demeaning way but women’s development can tend to stagnate regress more often than men. 

This is true I think across a lot of women’s sports. Not sure on the point about skill but athletically...Lots of guys are still growing at age 18-19 whereas it’s not uncommon for us to be done growing in like 7th grade or younger lol. 

Just finished watching a replay of the game. I couldn't watch it yesterday and I avoided finding out who won. (Not that hard to do with WBB I guess.)

Big games by several but Harbison and MST in particular. Free throw shooting much improved. Floor shooting, well, it was good enough I guess. After a close first half, started to wear 'em down in the 3rd quarter and then held 'em to just 6 points in the 4th. We had 36 points in the paint and a whopping 49 rebounds.

Chloe Rice returns to Chaifetz and plays just 7 minutes with a foul and a turnover. I guess that's 7 minutes more than she'd be getting here now with this group of guards. (Of course her old teammate Brooke Flowers played just 4, albeit with 2 rebounds.)

A nice win, hope it continues.