GDT: pine bluff

wgstl

8 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Saw that one kid on UAPB was from Phoenix.  Having been there just last week and having been to Pine Bluff multiple times, I don't know what makes a kid do that kind of trek.  Just WOW!

Really nothing to see there last night.  We did what an exceptional team should do.  The kids all played and no one got hurt.  Rust was worked off and Travis did some hard core teaching what with zone defenses and half court traps and full court pressure.  I don't know how you stop this team if Perkins, Jimmmerson, Goodwin, Jacobs and Hargrove are hitting threes leaving the lane open for French, Linssen and Bell plus Perkins, Goodwin and Thatch on drives.  

As noted by the announcers, I think we now need Yuri to find a 15-foot jumper.  That's about it as far as i can see.  It was a small sample but it does appear Goodwin's perimeter shot has improved with his off season work and it appears French is just going to step up to the line, accepting the ball from the ref, and releasing.  No dribbles.  No thinking.  Just natural step-into-the-shot-like-a-game move.  And he did hit 50% with the second one looking really comfortable.  

Strickland looks like a potential freak ala Hargrove.  Not too shabby with two 6'5" high flyers to lean on.  Jacobs has been great.  Perkins keeps firing.  Thatch is coming back.  Nothing to see here.

I’d rather the Assist machine throw to the corner to the mmmm man for 3. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, almaman said:

I’d rather the Assist machine throw to the corner to the mmmm man for 3. 

Agree with that but sometimes late in the clock, Yuri has the ball with nothing developing so he needs to develop that 15' shot out to the arc. He hit several late in the clock threes last year, I especially remember a turn around three against George Mason he drilled. The only other thing I think would be helpful is TJ developing his game where he can score off the bounce. He's so athletic and looks like a potential 80/40 guy from the FT line and arc. If he could shot fake and take it to the rack, he'd be unstoppable. Looks to me like Strickland already has the TJ skillset and can be great creating his own shot.

Zink likes this

Just now, RUBillsFan said:

If anyone was listening on radio, at what point did Rammer call ballgame on this one?  I'm guessing that he didn't do so because it was such a laugher, but I'd guess like 10 mins into the game with the score 30 - 4 Rammer could have called it.

He didn't call, "Ball game," but he did make mention of something pertaining to the inevitable result early in the second half.

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

If anyone was listening on radio, at what point did Rammer call ballgame on this one?  I'm guessing that he didn't do so because it was such a laugher, but I'd guess like 10 mins into the game with the score 30 - 4 Rammer could have called it.

pretty sure he never did. I was going to goof on GDT that he called it@ that point. there was some choice banter between them all night as u would expect.

A few other observations from this weekend:

-We've been so good and so efficient offensively that it's easy to overlook how well this team plays defensively (second half against LSU aside, perhaps). Things were out of hand early because UAPB got absolutely zero good looks against us for a long stretch to open the game. They were completely swarmed inside 15 feet and could barely move around the perimeter, either. These past few seasons have been eye opening to me in terms of how good a defensive coach Ford is. We knew what Soderberg was all about. We knew how Majerus taught defensive fundamentals. But man, this guy has them playing tough D all the time. Their defensive communication appears to have taken a leap this season. Maybe that's because the fans aren't there and we can hear more, but it really looks and sounds like they're locked in at that end to a high degree.

-Goodwin's hands are everywhere. He has to be the most frustrating player to play against. Swiping at the ball constantly, disrupting passing lanes - I felt genuinely sorry for UAPB's players when they were anywhere in his vicinity (which probably felt like everywhere they had the ball on offense). Watching the way he pesters guys defensively has been bringing me joy this season, the way I also love watching him hunt down offensive rebounds. The word "pest" is generally applied to smaller or less athletic players but Goodwin definitely qualifies.

39 minutes ago, Pistol said:

-Goodwin's hands are everywhere. He has to be the most frustrating player to play against. Swiping at the ball constantly, disrupting passing lanes - I felt genuinely sorry for UAPB's players when they were anywhere in his vicinity (which probably felt like everywhere they had the ball on offense). Watching the way he pesters guys defensively has been bringing me joy this season, the way I also love watching him hunt down offensive rebounds. The word "pest" is generally applied to smaller or less athletic players but Goodwin definitely qualifies.

-I agree, just want him to keep his fouls to a minimum as in close games I want him in there at the end

No question on foul trouble. Really the only criticism I have of Goodwin's game right now is cleaning up turnovers. He's still good for a couple unforced cough-ups a game. His jump shot looks better, so as long as he stays smart about shot selection, I think his whole slashline should see career highs this year.

That actually reminds me of another observation through three games: Shot selection has been fantastic. Unselfishness has led to excellent shot selection and is a big reason for the offensive efficiency through three games. They're playing so smart in passing up contested looks, making the extra pass, using headfakes, getting to spots without the ball, not trying to force things. Just beautiful to watch.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

-We've been so good and so efficient offensively that it's easy to overlook how well this team plays defensively (second half against LSU aside, perhaps). Things were out of hand early because UAPB got absolutely zero good looks against us for a long stretch to open the game. They were completely swarmed inside 15 feet and could barely move around the perimeter, either. These past few seasons have been eye opening to me in terms of how good a defensive coach Ford is. We knew what Soderberg was all about. We knew how Majerus taught defensive fundamentals. But man, this guy has them playing tough D all the time. Their defensive communication appears to have taken a leap this season. Maybe that's because the fans aren't there and we can hear more, but it really looks and sounds like they're locked in at that end to a high degree.

Imo one of Ford's greatest skills is inspiring his players which leads them to overachieving.   Defense (like rebounding) is as much about effort as anything to be successful.   Couple Ford's instruction and demand with the leadership and example of goodwin (and prior to jirdah, bess) i agree with pistol.  

Pistol likes this

9 hours ago, Pistol said:

No question on foul trouble. Really the only criticism I have of Goodwin's game right now is cleaning up turnovers. He's still good for a couple unforced cough-ups a game. His jump shot looks better, so as long as he stays smart about shot selection, I think his whole slashline should see career highs this year.

That actually reminds me of another observation through three games: Shot selection has been fantastic. Unselfishness has led to excellent shot selection and is a big reason for the offensive efficiency through three games. They're playing so smart in passing up contested looks, making the extra pass, using headfakes, getting to spots without the ball, not trying to force things. Just beautiful to watch.

Something that gets overlooked is our passing.

It starts with Collins but Goodwin, Perkins, French, and Bell all are great passers for their position.  Its different than Majerus' ball, we aren't making the extra pass, but we don't have to either.

Perkins really allows Goodwin to be more efficient.  Goodwin can go 1 on 1 a couple times a game, then camp out in the corner for threes.  He doesn't have to play iso ball anymore.  That is Perkins job now.  

Pistol likes this

9 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Something that gets overlooked is our passing.

It starts with Collins but Goodwin, Perkins, French, and Bell all are great passers for their position.  Its different than Majerus' ball, we aren't making the extra pass, but we don't have to either.

Perkins really allows Goodwin to be more efficient.  Goodwin can go 1 on 1 a couple times a game, then camp out in the corner for threes.  He doesn't have to play iso ball anymore.  That is Perkins job now.  

Recently I have been re-watching some of the 2011-2014 and find the comparison to the Majerus teams to be interesting. Unfortunately, we only got a brief look into a Majerus offense that was truly clicking (2011-2012).

Two huge differences that I would not have expected from our offense now and then was that they had the 35 second shot clock and that spacing generally was much more compact in early 2010s college basketball. The SLU vs. LSU game this year was basically two teams going 5-out on offense. When you go back and look at those early 2010s games, the paint is way more packed. My guess is that this is partly because of general analytics revolution and basketball and partly because of the longer 3-point line. 

On 12/5/2020 at 9:05 PM, willie said:

I can remember the good old days against Roosevelt when we scored 130. 

Have been curious about the '78 Roosevelt game and finally found the info on it. It was the lidlifter for the year and the Bills smacked 'em around pretty good, winning 130-61. That was kind of rough season for the Bills as they went 10-17 with a number of close losses against good teams. Believe it or not, the Roosevelt U. Lakers hoop team still exists playing in the NAIA.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Have been curious about the '78 Roosevelt game and finally found the info on it. It was the lidlifter for the year and the Bills smacked 'em around pretty good, winning 130-61. That was kind of rough season for the Bills as they went 10-17 with a number of close losses against good teams. Believe it or not, the Roosevelt U. Lakers hoop team still exists playing in the NAIA.

We opened up against Roosevelt 2 or 3 years in a row . They all were blowouts. Gave us fans a false sense of our ability. 

• 2 weeks later...