Women down 2 om Memphis end of 3rd.

Bills71

Women win in OT. Never would have believed it the way the game went in regulation. Need to shoot free throws MUCH better. Floor shooting could be better too. But hey, a wins a win.

ETA: After perusing the box score, the FT shooting wasn't as bad as I thought. We shot 63.9, Memphis shot 64%. It was just a couple of players that were bad at the line. i think we shot better late, especially in the OT.

RUBillsFan likes this

21 minutes ago, Bills71 said:

Billikens Win 82-74 only leading in ot

I watched all but the first few minutes and I'm pretty sure we had a  brief one point lead in the first quarter after overcoming a 9 point deficit. I know the pbp guy insisted we never led but I think he's wrong. He was working alone and he had a lot to keep track of but he missed a few things too.

ETA: The Bills led 14-13 for just a few seconds in the first half and then led all the way through the overtime period. It was a terrific comeback because they fell behind for most of the game, including double digits for a while in the second half.

slufanskip likes this

Really flat first half.  Billikens kept it close by attacking the O boards.  Harbison eventually came around, scoring 14 points, 12 in the 2nd half and OT including the clutch game tying shot to send it to OT.  Smith-Traore is a stat stuffer, double double with 3 blocks and 3 steals.  The underclassmen led us in scoring, Rachel Kent continues her stellar play with a game high 19 points, 17 in the 2nd half and OT and Freshman Peyton Kennedy had an excellent debut going for 15 points and 9 boards, 5 offensive.  This young forward tandem should be the next stars for the womens program.

37 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I watched all but the first few minutes and I'm pretty sure we had a  brief one point lead in the first quarter after overcoming a 9 point deficit. I know the pbp guy insisted we never led but I think he's wrong. He was working alone and he had a lot to keep track of but he missed a few things too.

Watching now. 14-13 w/ 1:43 left in the 1st. 

Bills had a lot of shot's rim in and out in the 1st qtr. 

Rachel Kent looks slimmer

6 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

Do we know what happened to the girl from Memphis that needed medical assistance on the baseline?

Been wondering the same thing. I think it was #53 Lanetta Williams if I remember the pbp guy correctly. It was weird because there was a timeout taken with apparently nothing untoward going on and when they came back from the commercial she was in some kind of trouble. Almost like it happened during the time out.

27 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Really flat first half.  Billikens kept it close by attacking the O boards.  Harbison eventually came around, scoring 14 points, 12 in the 2nd half and OT including the clutch game tying shot to send it to OT.  Smith-Traore is a stat stuffer, double double with 3 blocks and 3 steals.  The underclassmen led us in scoring, Rachel Kent continues her stellar play with a game high 19 points, 17 in the 2nd half and OT and Freshman Peyton Kennedy had an excellent debut going for 15 points and 9 boards, 5 offensive.  This young forward tandem should be the next stars for the womens program.

Kennedy was 4-15 from the floor and 3-7 from the FT line.  She also fouled out.  5 ORebs is excellent, but I’d like to she her score more efficiently.

Kent should really have the green light to shoot whenever she touches the ball.  Last year she had the 2nd highest 3pt% in SLU WBB history.

I’m not sure why Stewart didn’t play more.  She was one of our better players down the stretch last season.  I don’t get the staffs seeming infatuation with Martinez at this point.  I’m not sure what she brings to the table.

Impressive to pull out W in this one after their COVID lay-off and then subsequent cancellation of the Mizzou game.

11 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Kennedy was 4-15 from the floor and 3-7 from the FT line.  She also fouled out.  5 ORebs is excellent, but I’d like to she her score more efficiently.

Kent should really have the green light to shoot whenever she touches the ball.  Last year she had the 2nd highest 3pt% in SLU WBB history.

I’m not sure why Stewart didn’t play more.  She was one of our better players down the stretch last season.  I don’t get the staffs seeming infatuation with Martinez at this point.  I’m not sure what she brings to the table.

Impressive to pull out W in this one after their COVID lay-off and then subsequent cancellation of the Mizzou game.

Agree with you on Kent and was thinking the same thing about Kennedy. She needs better shot selection. She seems to want to shoot the 3 pretty quickly. we don't need her taking 5 more 3's than Kent. However, it was her 1st D1 game, so imo some benefit of the doubt is in order. 

I like the way Martinez seems to have a real grasp on the way the offense should run, she seems to have a stabilizing effect. However her shot is horrible and she doesn't attack and score nor does she have a lot of assists, so I tend to agree with you. 

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Agree with you on Kent and was thinking the same thing about Kennedy. She needs better shot selection. She seems to want to shoot the 3 pretty quickly. we don't need her taking 5 more 3's than Kent. However, it was her 1st D1 game, so imo some benefit of the doubt is in order. 

I like the way Martinez seems to have a real grasp on the way the offense should run, she seems to have a stabilizing effect. However her shot is horrible and she doesn't attack and score nor does she have a lot of assists, so I tend to agree with you. 

Martinez may be the worst shooting college player I have ever seen. Besides that she is a pretty good player. 

49 minutes ago, willie said:

Martinez may be the worst shooting college player I have ever seen. Besides that she is a pretty good player. 

that would be jolly.   the worst player maybe to ever wear a billiken uniform.

3 hours ago, willie said:

That sounds about right lol. Seems like a crazy statement though. I wish she could at least create some offense by driving but she doesn't. 

The other thing with Martinez is her assist totals don't match up with what it seems like they would be. She seems to have very good vision and moves the ball very well. I wonder how many Hockey assists he would have. 

On 12/4/2020 at 9:49 PM, RUBillsFan said:

I agree with everything you state above.

Stewart is one of those rare players that can absolutely take over a game once she hits her first couple of shots and gets into  rhythm.  I perk up whenever she comes into a game.  Would love to know why she does not garner more minutes.

Martinez,  on the other hand, should be banned from ever taking a shot, even if it is a lay up. I’m certain Stone has her reasons for playing her as much as she does, but it is definitely not to shoot the ball.....

5 minutes ago, thetorch said:

When your most talented player is garnering 15 mpg coming off the bench rest assured something else is going on.

I can get on board w/ Stewart playing over Martinez for sure, but I haven't seen anything YET to call her more talented than Harbison or Kent. Maybe it's still to come. 

doowop likes this

36 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I can get on board w/ Stewart playing over Martinez for sure, but I haven't seen anything YET to call her more talented than Harbison or Kent. Maybe it's still to come. 

Possible that @thetorch is making a distinction between talent and skill.  I can believe that Stewart is more athletic than Kent for example, but she’s not a better shooter at this point or at least hasn’t shown it consistently.  She’s also not the floor leader that Harbison is.

I have to believe what Stone is trying to do with Martinez is have her as another ball handler to give Harbison a break and allow her to play off ball more.  We also know Garth at Stone values D very highly (see Kerri McMahon’s career & minutes), so I have to assume Martinez is a good defender.   I could understand all this if Martinez had shown anything else offensively, but she hasn’t.

2 minutes ago, willie said:

I guess I need to apologize to Martinez. She has scored a career high 10 points halfway thru the 2nd quarter. 4 for 4 from the line. 

Lol.  I just stared a new thread for the Bradley game and said the exact same thing.  She's had a very nice start to this game.