Bracketology Tracking

Taj79

3 minutes ago, JGR6396 said:

If the Bills go 3-0 in the next 3, top 20 ranking is expected.... However, if we go 2-1, what do we think? Do we slide in the 20-25 range, or do we fail to breakout of the notables (receiving votes)?

I'm not actually sure that the Minnesota game will factor into rankings that much.  Don't most writers submit their top 25 Sunday evening (I know Seth Davis always tweets his Sunday night)?  Minnesota isn't until 7:30pm CT on Sunday so that outcome may not impact the votes at all. 

Also, largely depends what happens in the individual games.  We destroy ISU  by 30+ and NC St by 20+ and lose a 1 pt OT game to Minnesota, I think we're still in.  We barely beat ISU, lose to NC St, and squeak past Minn, we're probably losing votes.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm not actually sure that the Minnesota game will factor into rankings that much.  Don't most writers submit their top 25 Sunday evening (I know Seth Davis always tweets his Sunday night)?  Minnesota isn't until 7:30pm CT on Sunday so that outcome may not impact the votes at all. 

Also, largely depends what happens in the individual games.  We destroy ISU  by 30+ and NC St by 20+ and lose a 1 pt OT game to Minnesota, I think we're still in.  We barely beat ISU, lose to NC St, and squeak past Minn, we're probably losing votes.

Wouldn’t be surprised if some voters wait til after our game finishes to vote, especially if we’re on the bubble.

17 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if some voters wait til after our game finishes to vote, especially if we’re on the bubble.

Some might, but I'd wager more than a few send in their votes before dinner time on Sunday so they don't have to worry about it anymore / out of laziness.  If you've seen that Gary Parrish "Poll Attacks" column you know that a lot of these voters either don't use a ton of logic in their votes, they don't put much effort into them, or some combination thereof.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

Some might, but I'd wager more than a few send in their votes before dinner time on Sunday so they don't have to worry about it anymore / out of laziness.  If you've seen that Gary Parrish "Poll Attacks" column you know that a lot of these voters either don't use a ton of logic in their votes, they don't put much effort into them, or some combination thereof.

You’re probably right. There’s no real consequences for not putting much effort into it. Especially if they’re in the middle of finishing a column or something.

Id think writers look to see if there are any games worth waiting for on Sunday(s) before they do this.  And in this case, Sunday night is a match up of two bubble teams.  My guess is they know this, and would wait.  Most of the time, Sunday games are over mid day.  Also, Big 10 play a lot of on Sundays, same with BE.  

1 hour ago, JGR6396 said:

If the Bills go 3-0 in the next 3, top 20 ranking is expected.... However, if we go 2-1, what do we think? Do we slide in the 20-25 range, or do we fail to breakout of the notables (receiving votes)?

-this is the BEST Billiken team in history, why think about what happens if we don't win? we are not playing the 1992 Dream Team, we WILL win

-get on board

I was playing around some on Team Rankings and some items caught my eye.

We rank 23rd and NC State ranks 21st in their regular power rankings.  Those like virtually all of the well known systems have predictive information from before any games were played impacting a team's ranking to varying degrees at this point.  Team Rankings, also has a last ten games power ranking.  For all teams right now that includes no preseason predictive information and every game played to date.  When you view those rankings the Billikens rank 10th and NC State ranks 4th. 

You don't want to read way too much into those rankings right now because the sample size is small for all teams and minuscule for some.  As an example, Colorado St. is seventh and has only has played one game.  I think most of us can agree they aren't the seventh best team in the country.

I just think it is interesting to look at something like this at this point in the season and see what happens when all the predictive information is stripped out to see where a team ranks on just what they have actually done on the court.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/last-10-games-by-other

Also, there hasn't been a better first half team in the country so far than the Billikens according to team rankings.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/first-half-by-other

Lastly, according to Team Rankings, right now, the Billikens whole season schedule would rank 84th at the end of the season.  Which is very good considering everything that has happened.  I gave the program a hard time earlier about scheduling, but they deserve major praise for landing the NC St. game.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/season-sos-by-other

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 1:55 PM, Cowboy said:

-this is the BEST Billiken team in history, why think about what happens if we don't win? we are not playing the 1992 Dream Team, we WILL win

-get on board

I assume you were joking when you hit the "all caps" button (or you must be a millennial).  Easy Ed McCauley (of the Basketball Hall of Fame) and his teammates from the 1948 team may disagree with you.  They won the National Championship that year.  

This is a great team, and I like your passion, but I question whether this is the BEST Billiken team in history.  As one of the other threads discussed, there's even reason to debate whether this is the best Billiken team in recent history.  Too early to tell.  Let's let the season play out.

7 hours ago, Wendelprof said:

I assume you were joking when you hit the "all caps" button (or you must be a millennial).  Easy Ed McCauley (of the Basketball Hall of Fame) and his teammates from the 1948 team may disagree with you.  They won the National Championship that year.  

This is a great team, and I like your passion, but I question whether this is the BEST Billiken team in history.  As one of the other threads discussed, there's even reason to debate whether this is the best Billiken team in recent history.  Too early to tell.  Let's let the season play out.

i'll give you easy ed, but beyond that i agree with Cowboy.   THIS IS THE BEST BILLIKEN TEAM SINCE EASY ED.  

slufanskip likes this

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i'll give you easy ed, but beyond that i agree with Cowboy.   THIS IS THE BEST BILLIKEN TEAM SINCE EASY ED.  

It's certainly the most dominant 13 game stretch by a Billiken team any MBM has ever seen.  What were the chances we would have knocked off Dayton in the A10 tournament last year and come into this season ranked in the top 20?  I think pretty good.  The same 7-1 record would have us in the top 15 right now.

Instead our Bills would have to run the table just to achieve the ranking we should already have.  If this team continues playing at this level, they've earned my vote at the end of the season.  Rankings don't tell the whole story.

slufanskip likes this

The eye test says this is the best Billiken team since I've been following them which is 30 years. Honestly who on another team is going to stop French inside? We've never seen a playmaker like Yuri ( no not even H ) Perkins is the best absolute scorer we've had since Larry and Claggs before that,  plus JGood is in a class by himself and will finish his career as the best Billiken I've had the pleasure to watch. You still have to add in Jim, DJ, and TJ plus Linssen and Bell as inside depth. There are just so many weapons. 

dennis_w and billiken_roy like this

Stop Perkins and Jimerson might kill you.  Stop them both and French and Linnson will eat you up inside.  Want to bang inside? French and Bell can do that too. With Yuri stirring the drink and TJ. Demarius, and Markhi and Fred and oh maybe the best all around player in the conference in JGood, this is the deepest team in Billiken history.

If all the pieces are clicking, the Billikens are a nightmare to play against.  I don't think we've seen that yet despite pummeling out competition early.  This is truely the season where Travis can shatter the "less with more" bad rap he acquired at OSU.  I'm with Roy in that I want to see us use all of our assets and run teams to death where we can.  This is the year.  Ford has his guys.  He needs to put it all together.

I think people are forgetting how good the Majerus NCAA teams were.  I'm specifically thinking about the 2011-12 and 2012-13 teams as 2013-14 tailed off at the end.  I wouldn't put then in the same category because they lacked depth.  They played very slow, so they weren't as "fun" to watch and they of course only won 1 NCAA each.  I think because of that they get underrated in hindsight.  Those teams were damn good.  The A10 was much better overall those years too. On defense, I can say that without a doubt they were better than this year's team.  On offense, I'd give the edge to this year's squad.  Overall, I think it is too soon to say.

The Athletic just came out with their second bracket.  We are a 6 seed playing UNC an 11 seed.  The Columbia Correctional Facility is in the same bracket as a 5 seed.  I know these seed and brackets, at this point in the season are just for fun and discussion but who would have ever thought we would be a favorite over UNC?  (see Caleb, you should have come to a big time program 😉 )

FWIW, they have only 2 A 10 schools in the Dance, us and the Bonnies.

Our biggest problem right now is that we need to get back on the court and play some games.  What a sad way for HF and J Good to be ending their Billiken careers.  They deserve better.  From a purely individual standpoint it is really hurting their season and career records as games fall by the wayside.  I don't see any way we will get all of our postponed A 10 games rescheduled.

10 minutes ago, bauman said:

The Athletic just came out with their second bracket.  We are a 6 seed playing UNC an 11 seed.  The Columbia Correctional Facility is in the same bracket as a 5 seed.  I know these seed and brackets, at this point in the season are just for fun and discussion but who would have ever thought we would be a favorite over UNC?  (see Caleb, you should have come to a big time program 😉 )

FWIW, they have only 2 A 10 schools in the Dance, us and the Bonnies.

Our biggest problem right now is that we need to get back on the court and play some games.  What a sad way for HF and J Good to be ending their Billiken careers.  They deserve better.  From a purely individual standpoint it is really hurting their season and career records as games fall by the wayside.  I don't see any way we will get all of our postponed A 10 games rescheduled.

https://atlantic10.com/news/2020/11/10/a-10-mens-basketball-schedule-features-75-national-tv-games-covid-adjustments.aspx

The league also made adjustments to its traditional schedule model to factor in potential interruption from the COVID-19 pandemic. There will be at least nine conference games played in December, and each team will have two bye dates between Jan. 13 and Feb. 24, and the weekend of March 5-7 will be left open. These measures provide windows for make-up dates and spreads the schedule out to accommodate any contest needing to be rescheduled.

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

https://atlantic10.com/news/2020/11/10/a-10-mens-basketball-schedule-features-75-national-tv-games-covid-adjustments.aspx

The league also made adjustments to its traditional schedule model to factor in potential interruption from the COVID-19 pandemic. There will be at least nine conference games played in December, and each team will have two bye dates between Jan. 13 and Feb. 24, and the weekend of March 5-7 will be left open. These measures provide windows for make-up dates and spreads the schedule out to accommodate any contest needing to be rescheduled.

If I'm not mistaken, we already have 6 games that need dates, not currently on the schedule - I think 5 postponed and the Bonnies which has never had a date.  And this doesn't take into account future games that will be lost, either due to SLU problems or our opponents.  I don't think Travis wants to adopt the E Banks philosophy of "let's play two."

22 minutes ago, bauman said:

If I'm not mistaken, we already have 6 games that need dates, not currently on the schedule - I think 5 postponed and the Bonnies which has never had a date.  And this doesn't take into account future games that will be lost, either due to SLU problems or our opponents.  I don't think Travis wants to adopt the E Banks philosophy of "let's play two."

He doesn't want to, but he's already said that he would if he has to:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/ford-unsure-when-slu-will-return-to-practice-games/article_a921f948-5106-5d5a-8d90-78e699cb7ba0.html

“I don’t support that at all,” he said. “You never know. If you’re made to do it, you do it, but it’s not something I’m big on.”

We MBMs want 18 conference games but with each new positive test in the A10, I consider 10 games in this environment a win.

• 7 months later...

Jerry Palm released a "way too early" bracket yesterday for the 2022 NCAA tournament:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

He has SLU in the First Four as an 11 seed.

Article about his bracket here:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2022-ncaa-tournament-bracketology-gonzaga-is-early-top-seed-ahead-of-no-1-seeds-ucla-kansas-and-texas/

"One league that could be interesting to follow this season is the Atlantic 10. St. Bonaventure returns most of the team that won the league a season ago and has a chance to be a top 25 team. Things get pretty bubbly from there as Dayton, Richmond, Saint Louis and VCU all look like potential tournament teams, but there likely will not be room for all of them."