2020 - 2021 SLU on the Radio / TV

HoosierPal

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rammer and Ford today.  This was one of the best yet.  I recommend listening in full.  KMOX will air at 6 pm tonight, and it can be found on KMOXSports facebook, along with other sites.

Briefly discussed RI game and Fordham.  Coach called the RI game ugly, a defensive battle.  Coach was pleased with the great start at Fordham.  He said for a 'great start' he wasn't looking at the score, or how many shots we get, but rather at how hard we played.  Coach said he may have been to critical about the team at Fordham.  Assistants reminded him we are up 30.  "To a fault I coach every possession."  "I need to enjoy the victories more than I do."

Goodwin, 1 TO for the past two games as point guard.  Impressed how Goodwin "flipped the switch" from a guy playing off the ball to playing with the ball in his hands every possession. Leading from the point guard position is different, it is leading by play, not by vocal.  He had 11 Assists in these two games.  Coach said he wasn't playing as well as he is capable of the earlier two games, and they discussed it. 

French back on track: Three games ago, was only getting 6 boards.  Not acceptable.  Points come if he plays hard and coach didn't care of his point total, but rebounds were needed.  French has responded the last two games.

Haven't been happy with rebounding, except for Goodwin.  Tape showed why they weren't rebounding.  Weren't getting long rebounds.  Bigs were blocking out, but the guards weren't chasing these long rebounds down.  On the offensive end, we had guys just standing, not attempting to get boards.  Everyone has a responsibility when a ball goes up, either go for the board or get back.  Some guys were just standing, allowing the opponent to block us out.  "If you want to watch, buy a ticket."  Only time you should be standing is when the clock isn't ticking.  If the clock is running, you have a purpose. 

Three point defense.  Happy with limiting Fordham from the arc.  Not just try to make them miss but take away the shot.  Coach got the team out of the typical help defense and stayed with their man. 

Collins is Day to Day.  Don't know about the LaSalle game.  We have a lot of guys banged up.  Jacobs is not back fully yet.  Tried to go against RI but couldn't.  He doesn't have his reaction back yet or his quickness.  Hopefully today we will see an improvement.  Other unnamed guys have had to be limited in practice. "Three or four guys."

Three point % has gone down.  Coach doesn't make an issue of the %.  He makes an issue of passing to the open guy.  Are we sharing the ball.  There are a lot of other things you can control other than %.  Jimerson got some great looks at Fordham and with some luck could have scored 30.  Kept Jimerson out there longer than other starters as Fordham was playing zone and keeping him out there helped his teammates (defender had to stay on Jimerson.)

Jimerson knows that Coach wants him to keep shooting.  If you miss 10 in a row, shoot #11.  Team knows who the good shooters are and try to get them as many open three's as possible. 

French's passing:  He is one of the most unselfish players on the team. He is a willing passer.  % of scoring when French throws it out of the post is very high.  It is one of our highest offensive metrics.  When you go inside, defenders turn their heads towards French and don't keep focus on the shooters.

Q & A:  From Tom;  Team normally finishes strong.  Are you past the hump following the pause?  Coach; what we went through set us back.  Can't worry about that.  We shouldn't expect to be where we were in December or where we normally would be in a typical year.  Nothing in the past matters.  We try to be the best we can today.

From Kliner:  Comment on lockdown tandem of Goodwin and Thatch:  Coach this gives us a different defensive presence (over Collins).  Thatch is making good plays offensively, and has tended to force things.  He is a good defensive rebounder.  When we have Yuri with Fred, that is still a good defensive lineup. 

Coach came back to complimented Jimerson's defense, not hurting us anymore, but helping us.  He is a legit 6'6" with long arms.  He is understanding his spacing on defense better now.  You can be an effective defender without being a ball pressure guy.  Jimerson is seeing this now.  "When he got here, it was tough, his defense."  He was defending well when he got hurt last season.

Brad from Ft. Worth:.  How hard is it to keep everyone engaged.  Coach "I struggle with minutes"  I wish I could play some guys more.  Guys practice hard, they are good enough to play, but everyone can't play in every game.  It's not because they don't deserve it.  I have intentions on playing guys before a game starts, but the game doesn't go as I think so the plan goes away.   You know Goodwin, Collins and Perkins are going to get high minutes and that limits it too. 

Rammer believes A10 will use winnig % rather than place in the standings. Five teams have 2 losses.  But winning % uses number of games played in the formula.

LaSalle game:  You never know if/when LaSalle plays 50% better than their record.  We have picked out elements from the first game that we need to do better on.  800 fans has made a difference for the team.  Coach hopes/hears that the number can be increased.  Game at 8 PM.  Key for the game: they scored 16 points in transition.  We have to do better with the ball.  Their two post guys scored 21, while averaging only 11.  Have to do better in the paint.

majerus mojo likes this

I listened on FB. Good stuff. I’m gonna guess here but besides Jacobs and Yurimania, I think both Perk and JGood are a little dinged up. Perk twisted his ankle against RI believe and JGood will rub his shoulder a bit. 
Good to hear him praise Jacobs. 

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

I listened on FB. Good stuff. I’m gonna guess here but besides Jacobs and Yurimania, I think both Perk and JGood are a little dinged up. Perk twisted his ankle against RI believe and JGood will rub his shoulder a bit. 
Good to hear him praise Jacobs. 

Yes that was a good one, wasn't it.  I think early comment describing a 'great start' at Fordham as playing hard, got me.  I would have thought he was looking at the scoreboard but no he wasn't.

And his comments as to why our rebounding suffered was quite interesting.

10 hours ago, RickThePick said:

I would like one of these guys to ask Ford if there is any chance Strickland plays his place into a few meaningful minutes in-game.  Guy has the look of a future star and wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot at some live action.

You can ask questions during the podcast.  I'd suggest you do so next Monday.  They do answer questions.

Coach and Rammer on the Coach's Show, KMOX:  Coach Stone was also on.

LaSalle game:  First half defense was about as good as they can play.  Everyone was connected.  Weren't as efficient in the second half as the first.  Coach is looking for more consistency. 

Dayton game:  Coach: "Do we have to talk about it?"  Not too many positives, really none.  We got the tip, got the rebound and threw it into the 5th row.  Tried everything possible, and got no response.  Worst shot selection since I have been here.  We shot 70 shots, which is an enormous amount, and half are shots we didn't need to take. We needed to move the ball several times before shooting.  Why, give Dayton credit for good defense, but we weren't using each other to score.  Everyone got into the mode of trying to be the guy.  Our defense wasn't horrible, but they scored 25 points in transition.  I don't think I have ever seen that happen.  We knew about their slip screening, but didn't execute on it.  [Coach emphasized poor shot selection a second time.]  Not to late to learn and understand.  We lost our identify and need to find it again.  We got a lot of open shots we didn't make as well as taking bad ones. That didn't leave much else. 

Goodwin talking to the team after the game, 'don't want to have this feeling again'.  Coach, we don't have a ton of time to go back to that game and analyze it.  We got to move on and prepare for VCU.

Moving forward, mental aspect - we have to get back to trusting each other.  Each teammate has to want greatness for the guy next to him.  Have to get back to complimenting each other on the court, playing to their strength.  Coach said it isn't selfishness.  We don't have those guys on our team.

VCU:  Won't be a sold out madhouse.  300 fans maybe.  VCU swept Dayton.  But those games don't matter.  VCU has some of the best defense numbers in the nation.  Similar defense to what Shaka played, but they have put in some wrinkles.  LSU had some of the same elements in their D. We handled their D well last year.  Their purpose is to disrupt you.  We will try to play at our pace.  Have to pass the ball rather than dribble. Don't take the rush shot they want you to take.  Don't let them blow up your handoffs.  Have to slow down to beat pressure.  Have to set up your man, fake one way and go the other.  We scored 80 last year and only hit four three's.  They know what shots we want to take.  We will take shots to break pressure if we can score.

Injuries:  Coach is expecting everyone to play.  There may be one or two guys that we need to see about. 

Still have Richmond and UMass.  Richmond was picked to win our league.  No rest for the weary.

Lisa Stone:  Win at Dayton was huge, they were (and still are) the 1st place team. Dayton had won 40 straight A10 home games.  Played zone.  The Philly trip, 3 games in 4 days, was a turning point.  Mental toughness displayed middle game at St. Joe's.  Spent 5 days in the same motel.  Team came together. 

Practiced at 6 AM this morning.  Three Covid pause's has been significant on the team. They have discussed mental health a lot. 

VCU game was one of the best come backs in team history.  32-10 fourth quarter after a 19 point first half.  And then to defeat Richmond 2 days later.  Yes we did celebrate after Dayton.

Two more road games trying to climb to the top of the league.  Showed the Dayton clips this morning.  Gals were excited, but got back to normal.  Got hammered on the glass at Dayton, and that is not who we are.

Flowers has become the dominate post player in the league.  She has extended her game this year, putting up double doubles.  "One hundred percent from the three in her career." She is 3-3.

21 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

LaSalle game:  First half defense was about as good as they can play.  Everyone was connected.  Weren't as efficient in the second half as the first.  Coach is looking for more consistency. 

Dayton game:  Coach: "Do we have to talk about it?"  Not too many positives, really none.  We got the tip, got the rebound and threw it into the 5th row.  Tried everything possible, and got no response.  Worst shot selection since I have been here.  We shot 70 shots, which is an enormous amount, and half are shots we didn't need to take. We needed to move the ball several times before shooting.  Why, give Dayton credit for good defense, but we weren't using each other to score.  Everyone got into the mode of trying to be the guy.  Our defense wasn't horrible, but they scored 25 points in transition.  I don't think I have ever seen that happen.  We knew about their slip screening, but didn't execute on it.  [Coach emphasized poor shot selection a second time.]  Not to late to learn and understand.  We lost our identify and need to find it again.  We got a lot of open shots we didn't make as well as taking bad ones. That didn't leave much else. 

Goodwin talking to the team after the game, 'don't want to have this feeling again'.  Coach, we don't have a ton of time to go back to that game and analyze it.  We got to move on and prepare for VCU.

Moving forward, mental aspect - we have to get back to trusting each other.  Each teammate has to want greatness for the guy next to him.  Have to get back to complimenting each other on the court, playing to their strength.  Coach said it isn't selfishness.  We don't have those guys on our team.

VCU:  Won't be a sold out madhouse.  300 fans maybe.  VCU swept Dayton.  But those games don't matter.  VCU has some of the best defense numbers in the nation.  Similar defense to what Shaka played, but they have put in some wrinkles.  LSU had some of the same elements in their D. We handled their D well last year.  Their purpose is to disrupt you.  We will try to play at our pace.  Have to pass the ball rather than dribble. Don't take the rush shot they want you to take.  Don't let them blow up your handoffs.  Have to slow down to beat pressure.  Have to set up your man, fake one way and go the other.  We scored 80 last year and only hit four three's.  They know what shots we want to take.  We will take shots to break pressure if we can score.

Injuries:  Coach is expecting everyone to play.  There may be one or two guys that we need to see about. 

Still have Richmond and UMass.  Richmond was picked to win our league.  No rest for the weary.

Lisa Stone:  Win at Dayton was huge, they were (and still are) the 1st place team. Dayton had won 40 straight A10 home games.  Played zone.  The Philly trip, 3 games in 4 days, was a turning point.  Mental toughness displayed middle game at St. Joe's.  Spent 5 days in the same motel.  Team came together. 

Practiced at 6 AM this morning.  Three Covid pause's has been significant on the team. They have discussed mental health a lot. 

VCU game was one of the best come backs in team history.  32-10 fourth quarter after a 19 point first half.  And then to defeat Richmond 2 days later.  Yes we did celebrate after Dayton.

Two more road games trying to climb to the top of the league.  Showed the Dayton clips this morning.  Gals were excited, but got back to normal.  Got hammered on the glass at Dayton, and that is not who we are.

Flowers has become the dominate post player in the league.  She has extended her game this year, putting up double doubles.  "One hundred percent from the three in her career." She is 3-3.

-we'll find out in a few hours if the identity has been found

22 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Appreciate these write ups. Thank You

Jerry Palm was on KMOX this morning ahead of Coach Ford. Right now Palm has the Bills out.  Palm says the biggest negative on the Billikens resume is the lack of Away wins, and heck even Away games.  The Away games were wiped out due to our pause.  He has the Bills out, but said the only teams they can afford to lose to in the A10 Tourney are St. Bonnie or VCU, but the obvious best result is to win the A10.

Coach liked the effort against Richmond, both teams playing at a high level.  Coach saw a sense of urgency in the Richmond game, but wants consistency, playing with an edge against UMass.  Said we only played hard in spurts against VCU.  Much more consistent against Richmond.  He has emphasized getting the ball into Has in the last two games.  Coach asked Has to get back to his shot blocking capability.

TJ Hargrove, played hard consistently against Richmond, made two threes.  He needs to be consistent.  Linssen and Thatch gave good minutes, things we were lacking in previous games.  We were getting nothing from too many players. 

UMass -  we had two dog fight against them last season.  OT win here, and lost up there after we had a large league.  Called Mitchell the best pro prospect in the league.  They want to game to be fast paced. 

We are being talked about for the NCAA so that is good.  We have to find out best games moving forward. It will be interesting to see what the committee looks like, particularly two L's after coming out of Covid.  Said the A10 winning % seeding is a disadvantage to the Bills. 

No Coach's Show with Rammer tomorrow due to the UMass game.

Stu on with Frank:  Stu relayed that Coach said an extra game next week is still on the table. It would be an OOC team, not a A-10 team. Likely depends on how the A10 Tourney plays out.  If SLU is in the Championship game, it would be dead.

The Bubble, SLU is in with possibly Duke, Michigan State, NC, blue bloods that likely will carry weight due to their pedigree. 

Ford has turned to rebounding and defending over offense (Bell over Jimerson).  Thatch has moved up the order in regard to being in the game in key situations.

Sees Bills as upper 4 next season in A10.  Goodwin and French, comments in post game, didn't give any indications that they will change their minds on leaving.  Ton of transfers will be out there next season.  Until Perkins, the Juco route hasn't been as productive as straight transfers.  Stu says Okoro has started practicing a bit.  He won't have the pressure to come in and be a big producer since we have Linssen and Bell. 

Called the A10 tourney reshuffle 'bizarre'. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Stu on with Frank:  Stu relayed that Coach said an extra game next week is still on the table. It would be an OOC team, not a A-10 team. Likely depends on how the A10 Tourney plays out.  If SLU is in the Championship game, it would be dead.

The Bubble, SLU is in with possibly Duke, Michigan State, NC, blue bloods that likely will carry weight due to their pedigree. 

Ford has turned to rebounding and defending over offense (Bell over Jimerson).  Thatch has moved up the order in regard to being in the game in key situations.

Sees Bills as upper 4 next season in A10.  Goodwin and French, comments in post game, didn't give any indications that they will change their minds on leaving.  Ton of transfers will be out there next season.  Until Perkins, the Juco route hasn't been as productive as straight transfers.  Stu says Okoro has started practicing a bit.  He won't have the pressure to come in and be a big producer since we have Linssen and Bell. 

What is the A10 tourney reshuffle?

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I love this idea, IF we lose on Saturday, maybe have something else lined up with another team on the bubble. Why the hell not. One last shot for two teams to play there way in.

59 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So if necessary, let's play one of them.

42 minutes ago, almaman said:

they could use the TJ clip from ESPN for a visual

Did you see the SLU highlights, it is 2:45 long and there is lots of TJ reshuffling in that video 

7 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

So if necessary, let's play one of them.

I agree, that would be great but not sure it would work with the P5 conference tourney schedules. This idea would seem to appeal more to non P5 schools who need to build their resumes.

Looking at the NET - Boise State, Colorado State, Drake and Utah State are non P5 schools in a similar boat.

-I guess the idea of not playing the extra if in the Championship game indicates CFord & Co think we are in when we get there and don't want to risk a loss, I think an extra game could be beneficial with the gap between playing, but we have some experience this season with gaps between games