2020 - 2021 SLU on the Radio / TV

HoosierPal

17 minutes ago, ARon said:

Have Jordan and/or Hasahn made any formal statements on not considering a year 5?   The above quote makes it sounds like a done deal and I didn’t know they’d indicated anything either way.

Goodwin answered someone on Instagram, saying that this is his last year. Post dispatch ran an article on it.

Haven't seen info on French.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/billikens-beat-when-can-we-expect-to-see-slu-on-the-court/video_04009a31-cd44-536f-ba36-cc2a0906c172.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

The weekly BenFred / Stu podcast.  Stu said the players have had stationary bikes, resistance bands and weights delivered to their rooms.  The players will be coming out of quarantine at different times.  Stu didn't now when the full team could get back together.  Stu did mention that we do have an empty week, beginning Jan 30, where games will likely be rescheduled, depending on opponents schedules of course.  There are 8 days between our last scheduled game and day one of the A10 tourney.  With Davidson scratched, we have 6 games to add.

He also confirmed we are 5 games from the minimum needed for the NCAA tourney.

All other information has been covered elsewhere.

Coach on 550 tonight. 

In June, team was back together and tested 3 x per week. Six to 8 months, nothing.  Then in late December he got a call about 2 positives, and then days later most (8) of the rest of the team were positive.  Team is healthy today.   Coach was positive also.  He has been out of isolation for a week.  He gets fatigued easily.  'I was one of the ones who got hit harder than the rest.'  Some of the days were bad for him.  None of the 10 players had serious symptoms.

He doesn't want the +individuals to feel guilty.  He doesn't know how it caught the team.

On day 2 they delivered bikes to the players.  Then 8 other guys came down with it, and they couldn't use the bikes.  So only 3 or 4 guys were doing bikes.  10 guys did nothing for 10 days....zero, nothing.  Being in a room for 10 days is a mental challenge, seriously.  We have to take this slow.  Team is completely out of shape.  Five or 6 guys did individual workout today, 2 more tomorrow added tomorrow, 2 more on Sunday, and by Thursday everyone back in.

Coach has been trying to figure out when he wants to next game.  He can't tell yet as he hasn't seen everyone.  He doesn't know how long it will take to get back into game shape.  St Bonnie will be reach to play.  Jan 26th against Dayton may be the first game?  He has only half his team available.  He hopes to be able to say by next weekend when they can play.

SLU still have played 3 more games than St. Bonnie.  NCAA won't punish any team for going into quarantine. 

He thinks the A10 will decide on tourney site in the next week.  He doesn't know how teams will be seeded with the difference of conference games played.  Seedings will be important for potential at large teams.  Some teams may have all 18 in and some with only 10.  12-6 v 8-2.  How do you seed that?

What is he looking at when the team gets back:  First will be physical state, that they are physically okay.  They are running all players through the advised medicals.  Players will be fresh and ready to go and may have to be held back.  When does it hit them that it is tougher to recover.  Rhythm will be off.  Do guys remember the plays?  He will have to go through everything again.  "I expect to get us back there, but how long will it take?"

Pretty dynamic interview.

29 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach on 550 tonight. 

In June, team was back together and tested 3 x per week. Six to 8 months, nothing.  Then in late December he got a call about 2 positives, and then days later most (8) of the rest of the team were positive.  Team is healthy today.   Coach was positive also.  He has been out of isolation for a week.  He gets fatigued easily.  'I was one of the ones who got hit harder than the rest.'  Some of the days were bad for him.  None of the 10 players had serious symptoms.

He doesn't want the +individuals to feel guilty.  He doesn't know how it caught the team.

On day 2 they delivered bikes to the players.  Then 8 other guys came down with it, and they couldn't use the bikes.  So only 3 or 4 guys were doing bikes.  10 guys did nothing for 10 days....zero, nothing.  Being in a room for 10 days is a mental challenge, seriously.  We have to take this slow.  Team is completely out of shape.  Five or 6 guys did individual workout today, 2 more tomorrow added tomorrow, 2 more on Sunday, and by Thursday everyone back in.

Thanks for the recap!  Why can't the players use bikes if they had it?  I had it in November and felt bad for a couple days but still worked out everyday.  If the symptoms weren't serious I guess I don't get why they couldn't work out.  Just a health concern thing?  

On 1/15/2021 at 9:58 PM, Bills_06 said:

Thanks for the recap!  Why can't the players use bikes if they had it?  I had it in November and felt bad for a couple days but still worked out everyday.  If the symptoms weren't serious I guess I don't get why they couldn't work out.  Just a health concern thing?  

Concern for COVID myocarditis which could hypothetically lead to dysrrhythmias and potentially sudden cardiac death. That is the big fear with college sports this season after some early research suggested that it was very common in older hospitalized patients. More recent research in collegiate athletes however, has shown that it is not as common in younger athletes as initially hypothesized that it could be (although it remains a major concern).

Coach Ford on KMOX this Sunday Morning:

He covered a lot of the issues he discussed Friday (see third post above).

Team got positives for 5 to 7 days after the initial two positives on Dec 30.  That has staggered the return of players.  

Said protocols through City and SLU are some of the most restrictive he has heard of.  [I believe the 7 day slow return was his one of the issues that differs from other areas.]  "We are a week or two from playing a game."    He doesn't know how strict the NCAA will be for the 13 game minimum for the Tourney.  He mentioned how the Ohio State football team got a minimum criteria removed by the Big 10.

Coach said again that the 26th probably will be the next game.  We are in uncharted territory.  He hasn't seen / heard of any other teams with 80% positives. 

The team had a 2 PM Zoom daily through the quarantine.  They focused on one item for each Zoom, showing clips with positive plays.  They showed A10 highlights, and discussed how teams and selected players were performing.  They showed NBA plays and how SLU needs to learn from those plays.

He watched a lot of A10 games, looking at inbound plays, etc.  He has 'enough scribbles' to put in new offense and defense plays.

45 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach's Show with Rammer.  It will air on KMOX tonight, but was filmed live today. Time of tonight's airing wasn't given.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1zqJVXzRQamKB

(Lot's of repeat from the Friday and Sunday interviews.)

Coach got the first COVID call at 7 AM Wed 30th of 2 positive players.  The test they took was on Monday, 28th .  Coach started feeling bad on Wed too and took another test.  One other coach tested positive on Wed along with Coach Ford.  Positives were spread out.  Positive guys spent 10 days in quarantine, then they had the 7 days until return to action.  If the players were negative, they had to quarantine for 14 days.  Only 3 or 4 guys could use the stationary bikes.  Guys were given basketballs just to keep it in their hands. 

He has seen that the guys now working out are 'behind'. 

Discussed the 2 pm Zoom's covered in the KMOX post.  All players were on every day.  With SLU having no A10 games, he wanted to get the guys into the A10 mode, get the conference juices flowing.

Talked about first 8 games.  Complimented Strickland making a good play at the end of the half against LSU.  Talked to Perkins early in the year to get him to the FT line more often.  He is now a marked man, a focal point of scouting reports.  He needs to accept that challenge. 

Coach watched the NC State game last night. The first half was the worst half of the year, so far. Lucky to not be down by more.  Didn't play great the second half but obviously played better. 

MN is unbelievable at home.  SLU made MN adjust, and they did adjust for the win.  They have beaten Iowa, Michigan and Ohio State at home.  And we have played them as good as anyone.

Called Jacobs our X factor, he hasn't gotten the recognition he deserves.  Yuri's 7:2 ratio is the best Coach has ever coached in his 25 years.

Have had a couple of individual workouts so far. Our guys understand they have to take it one day at a time now.  He is dealing with getting guys back in shape and particularly those who weren't positive.  Guys have to be handled differently.  When are we going to play, "I don't know."  We aren't playing anytime soon.  We have to react to how our players are feeling.  Some guys are (apparently) having trouble getting through these individual workouts.

"How do you know which games to make up?" There will be a difference in games played prior to the A10 tourney.  How do you handle that? 

How will the NCAA Selection Committee evaluate a "20 game" season against a "30 game" season?  Scheduling was so difficult for many teams, will the Committee say "but they didn't play anyone" when that team's power games were canceled?  Even 'the eye test' will be difficult. 

"Team Blue, playing for each other."  Coach talked about this today with the team.  How we will make this better.  Guys are disappointed as they can't do the same things they did 3 weeks ago.  When in quarantine, coach could have come out at day 10, but he wasn't feeling great so he stayed another day.  At 11 days, he made a choice was to be positive, so he came out of the basement and turned his attitude around and started feeling better.  Team Blue is about having these experiences together.  Team has to handle this together.  Team Blue identity has to be more prevalent now than before.  This is a work in progress.

How has Goodwin weathered this?  He was in the individual workout today and had a good session.  Coach puts him as one of the top 5 to 10 players in the country, based on whatever criteria you want...stats, leadership, impacting games, potential.  

Linssen has helped our team get to another level.  He is the ultimate team player, doing all the little things.  We have 3 legit post players.  Bell was hurt before the season and really didn't join the team until almost the first game.

Hope to have a full practice this weekend.  Boxes have to be checked before we can move ahead day to day.  We aren't doing many contact drills yet.  We need to see where we are before we can determine when we can play another game.

thanks for the post

SLU_Lax likes this

Coach has been getting plenty of air time this week.  The first 8 minutes of this session are Coach.  Nothing that we haven't already covered.  At about 4 minutes he talks about Goodwin and French making money playing basketball in the future, and at 5:45 mark talks about his surprise at how good local HS basketball is.

15 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Have had a couple of individual workouts so far. Our guys understand they have to take it one day at a time now.  He is dealing with getting guys back in shape and particularly those who weren't positive.  Guys have to be handled differently.  When are we going to play, "I don't know."  We aren't playing anytime soon.  We have to react to how our players are feeling.  Some guys are (apparently) having trouble getting through these individual workouts.

As much as I want us to come back only when we're at full strength and ready, I also don't think Ford/SLU should get a say when we come back. I would think once we are out of quarantine/city protocol, we should be required to come back and play even if our guys are out of shape or not in a basketball rhythm 

willie and billiken_roy like this

26 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

As much as I want us to come back only when we're at full strength and ready, I also don't think Ford/SLU should get a say when we come back. I would think once we are out of quarantine/city protocol, we should be required to come back and play even if our guys are out of shape or not in a basketball rhythm 

Based on his interviews in recent weeks, it seems like the return decision is being almost completely driven by Ford, doesn't it? This isn't a judgment call about whether that should be the case or not - it just seems like he's driving the ship and I'm seeing very little about the influence of the school or city at this point. Maybe they're past the limits of city/school protocols and he's deciding when they're ready.

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Based on his interviews in recent weeks, it seems like the return decision is being almost completely driven like Ford, doesn't it? This isn't a judgment call about whether that should be the case or not - it just seems like he's driving the ship and I'm seeing very little about the influence of the school or city at this point. Maybe they're past the limits of city/school protocols and he's deciding when they're ready.

It does seem that way. I would think that the A10 should trump all decision makers and maybe they're giving Ford some leeway since they know SLU is their strongest team. 

Littlebill and billiken_roy like this

20 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Guys who test positive having to go through a "7 day return to action" on top of a 10 day quarantine is brutal.  And then not being able to have full practices because you won't even have enough players until 3+ weeks in?  Wow.  I think this protocol is an overreaction to what happened with the women's team.

If I’m not mistaken, the 7 day return to action protocol is to monitor a player’s health for any unexpected complications from the virus. With the reports of the virus causing myocarditis and seeing Florida’s Keyontae Johnson collapse suddenly after having the virus months ago, I don’t really think that this protocol is a bad thing. Our players’ health is much more important than missing a couple more conference games. This probably wouldn’t be as noticeable if 80% of the team didn’t test positive either. 

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

-okay, according to CFord on Sunday we are not at that point

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Based on his interviews in recent weeks, it seems like the return decision is being almost completely driven by Ford, doesn't it? This isn't a judgment call about whether that should be the case or not - it just seems like he's driving the ship and I'm seeing very little about the influence of the school or city at this point. Maybe they're past the limits of city/school protocols and he's deciding when they're ready.

-how about a listen? CFord talks about these here - https://www.radio.com/kmox/podcasts/sports-on-a-sunday-morning-307/january-17-2021-10-11-kobe-brown-travis-ford-354811491

-after watching teams come out of Q I am on board with waiting until the team gets additional practice time, I would rather play later into March than rush into January games

It seems like "positives were spread out" is the key line. If every positive were on 12/30, then we'd be out of the 17-day (10 + 7) period already. So there might be some stragglers but it's unclear how many. I guess my statement is just that overall, Ford does not seem to have a sense of urgency in getting them back out there. I think he wants to make sure they all feel good enough to go full speed. He doesn't want to throw a team of 80% ready guys out there against Dayton to take an A10 season opening loss.

The previous half dozen or so posts have got me to thinking:

80% of the players tested positive.  I wonder if the 'team' is considered to be the 12 scholarship players who dress (80%=about 10 players +), or 13 with Okoro (80%=about 10), or 13+3 walkon's (80%=about 13).  It doesn't really matter.  Also Coach said at least 2 coaches had it.

The first two positives came back from tests taken on Dec 28.  With the incubation period being, somewhere between 2 and 5 days, that puts a possible infection window between Dec 26 and Dec 23.  The KC game was on the 23rd.  Did the game, or the admittance of fans, have any impact?  Were the first two players roommate?  Did the team have a get together around Christmas?  If the team had been dismissed over Christmas and allowed to go home, would this have occurred.  We will never know, and we really don't need to know. 

I looked on the St. Louis City COVID website, and could not find the 7 day slow return requirement.  That doesn't mean it isn't there, I just could not find it.  For college and high school students, they link into the CDC.  I can't envision that the City would drill down that much for athletes, so my guess is that the 7 day slow return is a SLU requirement.  I have no problem with that.  SLU has the history of French's 5 week recovery from a spring COVID case to consider.

Coach's role in when the next game is to be played; likely a factor but not the driver.  He can't wait two weeks until he has a better understanding of how fit the team is.  If the squad doesn't get fully back until Friday, no League Commissioner would force a team to play with on Saturday with one practice after 3 weeks off.  There is likely some give and take, but SLU will be playing before Coach is comfortable with the status of the team.  Playing Dayton on the 26th is my guess, but man, that's a tough draw.  The Flyers are slowly figuring it out. 

3 hours ago, Brighton said:

Villanova went on pause around the same time SLU did, and yet they’re going to face Seton Hall tonight. Like I said, some programs act like they’re in D1, and then there are others who act like SLU.

How many positives did Villanova have?  Were 80% of their players positive?  Were the positives spread out over a week?

What are the Philly quarantine guidelines?  What are the Villanova guidelines?

This is the third quarantine for Villanova since Sept.  It certainly sounds like they have this figured out. 

Thanks.

RUBillsFan likes this