2020 - 2021 SLU on the Radio / TV

HoosierPal

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Not when the Loyola already has a game scheduled for the 18th.  Every team Ford mentioned already has a game scheduled for the 17th or the 18th.  But sure Bill Self is going to reschedule Texas Tech on the 17th or agree to fly into St. Louis on day and half  notice on the 14th.

The 14th shouldn’t have been included in any offer SLU sent out because since the game would have to be played in St. Louis because the Billikens have to play here on the 15th it would mean an opponent would have to arrange travel for their team in less than 36 hours.  Pretty much impossible right now.

If the Billikens were serious about scheduling anyone, anywhere they would have included the December 26th-28th in the dates for games and not asked for DM replies.  But hey it served it purpose, it took the heat off the program for now.

What heat?? I don’t understand the panic, this team is good and everyone knows it. 

3 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

What heat?? I don’t understand the panic, this team is good and everyone knows it. 

-the team is  putting themselves out there with the actions around scheduling, or more accurately trying to schedule, if they can't get something done while other teams are managing to schedule games then it leads me to wonder why can others do it and we, making all of this noise, can't?

4 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-the team is  putting themselves out there with the actions around scheduling, or more accurately trying to schedule, if they can't get something done while other teams are managing to schedule games then it leads me to wonder why can others do it and we, making all of this noise, can't?

Carter Chapley tweeted today that he “does not like tweeting it” because he feels it indirectly hurts his credibility, but he believes teams are ducking SLU because they don’t want to lose. He implied that he knows it’s already happened once. He also has tweeted previously that he knows, for a fact, how hard SLU is working to find games. I don’t think we should assume the problem is our staff.

649D71CB-3DD1-4BA2-AD59-6AC030396D21.png

cgeldmacher and dlarry like this

8 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Alright, then panic if you want, but I’m only concerned about winning.... there is no way this team is going to miss out on the NCAA Tournament if they win 20+ games this year.  The A -10 is not a one bid league, they historically get 3 and have had as many as 6 (2014).....

billiken_roy likes this

if duke doesnt have to play any games and will still get a 4 or better seed likely than why should any other team?   of course we all recognize there are two sets of rules, 1. duke rules 2. everyone else's rules.

15 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I think the hardest thing about our scheduling is that Ford and the admin have done such a good job of scheduling during his time at SLU. So, none of this makes sense. Maybe we could get someone at the post to do a story on it, so at least we could point to it come selection time.

I think this would be pretty interesting.

It doesn’t even need to be a groundbreaking article. Just a look at the ins and outs of trying to schedule games during this crazy season.

If information comes out that teams are ducking the Bills that’s just a bonus.

Get on in BenFred.

12 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Carter Chapley tweeted today that he “does not like tweeting it” because he feels it indirectly hurts his credibility, but he believes teams are ducking SLU because they don’t want to lose. He implied that he knows it’s already happened once. He also has tweeted previously that he knows, for a fact, how hard SLU is working to find games. I don’t think we should assume the problem is our staff.

I wonder if teams think that SLU will be a handful to play, and that they fear that the A10 will damage Slu's NET ranking, thus hurting them? That would be insane. 

26 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I wonder if teams think that SLU will be a handful to play

I was kind of wondering about this.  SLU is known as a physical / bruising / grind it out team.  Probably not someone you want to play on short notice with potentially a quick turnaround to your next game.  That being said, I think there are many other factors that go into why we wouldn't be able to find a game.

12 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

You're not going to be able to convince me that the other 149 schools in the top 150 are all afraid to play SLU

Not all 149 would be able to play the game though.  #1 some of the 149 are on COVID breaks and #2 many others have scheduling conflicts.  Further it seems to me (just guessing) that SLU is/was looking for a game in St. Louis rather than traveling anywhere.  I'd imagine most of the top 149 teams would balk at such a game even if it wasn't being thrown together last minute.

I'm disappointed that SLU's game was cancelled and it is frustrating that they haven't found a replacement, but I also understand what they're up against and understand SLU not settling for an undesirable game just to play one.

7 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I was kind of wondering about this.  SLU is known as a physical / bruising / grind it out team.  Probably not someone you want to play on short notice with potentially a quick turnaround to your next game.  That being said, I think there are many other factors that go into why we wouldn't be able to find a game.

Not all 149 would be able to play the game though.  #1 some of the 149 are on COVID breaks and #2 many others have scheduling conflicts.  Further it seems to me (just guessing) that SLU is/was looking for a game in St. Louis rather than traveling anywhere.  I'd imagine most of the top 149 teams would balk at such a game even if it wasn't being thrown together last minute.

I'm disappointed that SLU's game was cancelled and it is frustrating that they haven't found a replacement, but I also understand what they're up against and understand SLU not settling for an undesirable game just to play one.

Why do we have to play on those two dates? We were never going to get a game together for Sunday or Monday. That was almost like a "we're trying but not really trying" type statement. Why do we have to play the game at home? We need a better schedule and that includes road games.

I know everyone's hands are tied on scheduling but the whole idea of saying teams are afraid of us is immature and a weak response. 

Good 18-19 minute segment on Frank's show this morning with TF.  Actually, there was really about a good 10 minutes.  I love what TF has done for SLU and is continuing to do but the first 8-9 minutes where he gave "coach speak" answers to 2 questions, one on the polls and two on scheduling were nothing more than a media lesson on how to avoid giving REAL answers to questions.  This is actually pretty easy when talking to Frank, who never follows up but rather just moves to the next item on his list of questions.

If after listening to Travis discuss the scheduling issue, you can come up with a clarification of what the actual problem is, I for one would appreciate your input.

I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow night;  I think it might be more difficult than I originally thought.  ISU looked pretty decent in losing to Purdue.  I hope the Wiz's projection is correct.

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Why do we have to play on those two dates? We were never going to get a game together for Sunday or Monday. That was almost like a "we're trying but not really trying" type statement. Why do we have to play the game at home? We need a better schedule and that includes road games.

I know everyone's hands are tied on scheduling but the whole idea of saying teams are afraid of us is immature and a weak response. 

SLU isn't mandating a home game.  That was just RUBills thinking out loud and he says as much in his post.  Of course we'd go on the road to play a quality opponent.  Why wouldn't we?  We're already going to Minneapolis.

3 hours ago, slufan13 said:

BS......some are never pleased....since you seem to know the answer, why don't you tell us????? no way am I criticizing Ford over this.......

7 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

if duke doesnt have to play any games and will still get a 4 or better seed likely than why should any other team?   of course we all recognize there are two sets of rules, 1. duke rules 2. everyone else's rules.

To be fair Roy, Duke plays in the ACC, so they have plenty of games left against Virginia, Florida State and North Carolina to make up for that missed game against Gardner Webb. We don’t exactly have that luxury.

10 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

To be fair Roy, Duke plays in the ACC, so they have plenty of games left against Virginia, Florida State and North Carolina to make up for that missed game against Gardner Webb. We don’t exactly have that luxury.

maybe you didnt notice duke annouced no more non conference coincidentally after dropping 2 non conference games.   i.e. likely knows not the normal duke team.  

AGB91 likes this

40 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

maybe you didnt notice duke annouced no more non conference coincidentally after dropping 2 non conference games.   i.e. likely knows not the normal duke team.  

I understand. But the only non con game they had left was a game against Gardner Webb. I’m not saying the timing of it isn’t too convenient, but I’m not sure how much that hurts them. 

On 12/13/2020 at 4:28 PM, AnkielBreakers said:

I think the hardest thing about our scheduling is that Ford and the admin have done such a good job of scheduling during his time at SLU. So, none of this makes sense. Maybe we could get someone at the post to do a story on it, so at least we could point to it come selection time.

I think Ford and co have done a great job of consistently scheduling power 5 teams that are beatable. Remember not many A10 teams can schedule and consistently win against power 5 teams like we have for the past 4 years:

2020: LSU

2019: Boston College & Kansas State

2018: Seton Hall & Butler

2017: Virginia Tech

I think more important than just scheduling good games is scheduling good winnable games. This year we can beat anyone, but overall I think Ford gets an A+ for scheduling.

3star_recruit likes this

• 2 weeks later...

Coach was on with Frank in the Press Box this morning. He had not been told that the Bills were ranked until Frank told him.  It was a team goal to get ranked.  Coach did know that the team is 12th NET.  "I don't quite understand how they get to those numbers, but it is a huge positive."  He attributes the high NET ranking to be partially attuned to their effort to put a difficult OOC schedule.

Frank:  "How do the players get their food?"  Someone delivers it to them, set outside their door.  Delivered 3 times a day, but they can request more. 

Some players went home, which was okayed by all the doctors. They had to have a place where they could be away from their family.  He mentioned both positive results and contact tracings as being factors.  

Coach:  "A couple of our players, our people in Tier 1, tested positive.  We don't know how it happened, but there are people in our program trying to figure out what happened."

Frank, is Friday's game against Davidson a realistic return.  Coach, "we are going to figure all that out in the next several days.  We have tested every day for 4 or 5 days.  Different guys will come out of quarantine at different times.  I think the Davidson game is somewhat a challenge now.  That game will be tough to meet.  I can't see player coming out of quarantine and going straight into a game."  Players aren't working out at all.  "I don't want to play a game until I think we are ready.  We have to evaluate where we are when we get out."

Frank: "Did you tell the ones who went home to stay out of a gym?"  Coach: "You do that, but they are not under our jurisdiction.  We are checking on them.  We are not allowed to get out of quarantine to get in some shots.  Yeah, that is tough."  "We will get started with something on Zoom 'jumping jacks or something'." 

Frank:  "I have been to Jordan's house and he has a nice basket at his place.  I would think that he can safely go outside and get up shots."  Coach "yeah it would be hard to hold him down."

Frank: "How many tested positive or have symptoms?"  Coach: "We can't get into that but everyone is feeling pretty good right now.  We have been very fortunate about that."

Frank:  Any reaction to Goodwin and French not returning for year 5?"  Coach: "I think all those things will be addressed at the end of the season.  I haven't thought about that much now."

Frank: Reaction to Indy Bubble for the NCAA. Coach: "Probably a good idea, good that they got ahead of this and made the decision early."

Frank:  "How is today different than a normal day."  Coach, "Typically I would be in the office watching film, figuring out how to win the next game.  We would have the players in shooting FT.  The last 3 or 4 days, I have been in my basement by myself.  It has been a strain." 

After hanging up, Frank talked about McKissic.  Frank talked to his father, and McKissic took his name out of the portal 24 hours after entering. He is 17 hours from graduating, and then he will/could transfer for his 5th year.  SLU will be interested.  Frank: "Fletcher, it will be difficult for him to stay at Kentucky.  I think he would be ideal in a SLU uniform."

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Frank:  Any reaction to Goodwin and French not returning for year 5?"  Coach: "I think all those things will be addressed at the end of the season.  I haven't thought about that much now.”

Have Jordan and/or Hasahn made any formal statements on not considering a year 5?   The above quote makes it sounds like a done deal and I didn’t know they’d indicated anything either way.