GDT: Beat the Tigahs

wgstl

15 minutes ago, Band Legend said:

The best part of the radio broadcast was Rammer's persistent snide remarks about Will Wade.  I think beating him made the day even more sweet than other big wins.   He is a pear shaped ******.

KMOX or SLU or someone should provide podcasts of Rammer and Earl's game broadcasts. Dayton has this and I've listened to replays of our games with them from time to time. My son was listening to Rammer and Earl while I was at work and texted me some Rammer commentary. Has anyone tried the "sync my broadcast" tool that let's you sync up a radio broadcast with what's showing? Would love to see be able to watch while getting play by play from Rammer and Earl.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

From my view, LSU was three players --- Watford, Thomas and Smart.  What they score --- 67 of 81 points?  Days was okay but their bench was non-existent.  I said they'd go to straight offensive bombing in the second half and they did.  Thomas was unconscious.  Smart had that role in the first half with Thomas down with two fouls.  Watford did what he wanted against our bigs but that's what all-SEC guys do.  We had better collective production to eke that out.

What is most impressive is doing so without French and Thatch.  This win clearly demonstrates what veteran savvy and understanding can mean to middle tier teams like ours.  This is the sustainability I have longed for.  We are there.  Keep it going. 

I hope Notre Dame accepts our call.   Make them come to us.

Don’t discount LSU so easily. They return all 5 starters (experience) and 2 were all SEC selections. Plus, they bring in a top 10 recruiting class. I can see them really challenging UK and UT for the top spot in the SEC. They are a good solid team. The fact we beat them w/o Has and Thatch just shows how deep and talented our Bills really are. I do think with a healthy Has we win that game by double digits. Our two big subs were just not capable of dealing with Watford, who kept LSU in the hunt. Would have been fun to watch him and Has go after one another. 

AGB91, HoosierPal and bauman like this

I would like to see Has' get through one season without having to deal with "big man discrimination" from the refs. Normally, when a driving player runs into a defender, the defender falls down and gets the call. When a driver runs into Has', he remains upright, the offensive player hits the deck, and they call the foul on Has'. Someone needs to wise up the refs that just because a guy is built like a house and is strong as an ox doesn't mean that they're the one committing the foul.

57 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Do not take me wrong I think French is just a great player. The only thing that really bothers me about his is his FT problem. We would not have won against LSU without the FT scoring we had during that game.

You can’t assume that as Has likely would have defended Wartford much stronger than Linssen and Jimmy. LSU would have had a much tougher time on the inside. 

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Do not take me wrong I think French is just a great player. The only thing that really bothers me about his is his FT problem. We would not have won against LSU without the FT scoring we had during that game.

We shot 14 free throw's. Linssen hit 3/4. Lets give those 2 Has and assume he just hits 1. That's 2 points difference. Has rather than Linssen is worth more than 2 points.  The F/t shooting that made the difference was Perkins down the stretch and Has is irrelevant to Perkins F/t shooting. Has plays we win by double figures

Zink and willie like this

Now that I’ve basked in the glow of victory for a couple days, I wanted to pick a few nits.  Not taking away anything from a tremendous victory, but I think there was room to improve.

1. We missed some wide open looks near the start of the game.  Obviously the that evens out as the game goes along, but that contributed to our slow start.

2. We got a little careless with the ball and missed some opportunities during our run late in the 1st half.

3. We had some silly fouls that put them on the line near the end of the half and allowed them to score when they were struggling.

1-3 tells me that we could have been up a lot more at half.

4. I would have liked to see Hargrove get a little more playing time especially for defense.  His length/athleticism can be super disruptive if we go zone. The one time we was in the the 2nd half Watford bullied him to the paint drew an and 1 on a questionable call and that was it for Hargrove.  Nothing else was working on D, so why not try TJ more.

5. I was surprised we weren’t subbing offense / defense near the end of the game.  For example Hargrove for Jimerson.  Ford did sub in Strickland for D at the end of the 1st half, so it was a little surprising he didn’t also do it at the end of the game.  Also surprised he left both Goodwin & Collins on the floor at the end when they were fouling instead of going to Jacobs.

6. Perkins hit his FTs so it was moot, but he totally missed boxing out his man on LSUs final O rebound & score.

Again- great win.  We could talk all day about the good things we did and the big counter argument to any of the above is that we won so it worked/why question anything.

12 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

4. I would have liked to see Hargrove get a little more playing time especially for defense.  His length/athleticism can be super disruptive if we go zone. The one time we was in the the 2nd half Watford bullied him to the paint drew an and 1 on a questionable call and that was it for Hargrove.  Nothing else was working on D, so why not try TJ more.

Not saying I disagree but who would you have taken minutes away from in order to get TJ more playing time? I think when Gibson, Javonte and Demarius play the way the way they did yesterday minutes are going to be hard to come by for TJ. 

majerus mojo likes this

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Now that I’ve basked in the glow of victory for a couple days, I wanted to pick a few nits.  Not taking away anything from a tremendous victory, but I think there was room to improve.

1. We missed some wide open looks near the start of the game.  Obviously the that evens out as the game goes along, but that contributed to our slow start.

2. We got a little careless with the ball and missed some opportunities during our run late in the 1st half.

3. We had some silly fouls that put them on the line near the end of the half and allowed them to score when they were struggling.

1-3 tells me that we could have been up a lot more at half.

5. I was surprised we weren’t subbing offense / defense near the end of the game.  For example Hargrove for Jimerson.  Ford did sub in Strickland for D at the end of the 1st half, so it was a little surprising he didn’t also do it at the end of the game.  Also surprised he left both Goodwin & Collins on the floor at the end when they were fouling instead of going to Jacobs.

6. Perkins hit his FTs so it was moot, but he totally missed boxing out his man on LSUs final O rebound & score.

Again- great win.  We could talk all day about the good things we did and the big counter argument to any of the above is that we won so it worked/why question anything.

Totally agree with almost all of this. Only slight quibble I might have is about the shots we missed early. They were good shots and at least a few of them were in a rattled out. This is the first time in forever I can honestly say this, but I’m not worried about our outside shooting.

RUBillsFan likes this

17 hours ago, Old guy said:

At this time in the season, there is a great deal of variation in the rankings of teams provided by different sources. I think the best way to handle this is to choose one ranking source and sticking with it for the season. This is, in my opinion, the best way to follow the ups and downs of a team as the season is played.

Of course, as the season progresses, the difference between the rankings provided by different sources should decrease. In statistical terms there will be a regression to the mean as this process takes place.

not enough playing time to go around with quality players is sort of a new concern will take a bit adjusting.

36 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

Not saying I disagree but who would you have taken minutes away from in order to get TJ more playing time? I think when Gibson, Javonte and Demarius play the way the way they did yesterday minutes are going to be hard to come by for TJ. 

Yes, this is definitely the counter argument.  You’re not pulling Collins (ballhandling/press breaking), Goodwin or Perkins (duh), that leaves Jimerson who was lighting it up from 3 to match the LSU offensive outburst or playing small which I might have tried but I understand why you stuck with it.  Linssen actually did a decent job down the stretch on Watford after getting abused early in the 2nd half.

I had forgotten LSU was 26th in the AP poll. 

cam Thomas is a monster, probably one and done. Watford is also likely to be drafted. This LSU team is good, we should be very happy about this result come March. 

21 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I had forgotten LSU was 26th in the AP poll. 

cam Thomas is a monster, probably one and done. Watford is also likely to be drafted. This LSU team is good, we should be very happy about this result come March. 

If LSU starts defending like past Wade teams, they're going to give Kentucky some serious problems in the SEC.  Watford and Thomas are tough covers for anybody.  And you saw from today's game that's Kentucky's youngsters have a lot to learn about defending at this level.

-who is Emmitt Williams? in 2019-20 he started 25 games for LSU, averaged 28mpg (3rd on team) and 13.3ppg (3rd on team), declared for draft but not selected but not on LSU this season

-who is Skylar Mays? in 2019-20 he started all 31 games for LSU and topped the team with 34.5mpg and 16.7ppg, he was a senior so not on LSU this season

-but still a great win