GDT: Beat the Tigahs

wgstl

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

We are close to being in the mid 30s of the rankings if we continue playing like we have. Never fear, we have enough oomph to go to the Dance, all that it will take is to keep on playing like we have, particularly like we did today.

Before today’s game, in the AP rankings, the Billikens were already in the mid-30s — #35. And we just beat the AP’s #26 team. 

One would think we’d pick up 4-6 slots.

1 hour ago, JGR6396 said:

Stupid question, maybe. I don’t know a lot about the rankings, but with a W today, and UCLA losing (maybe others?) Do we have a chance to be ranked?

I think it'll take another week or two to crack the Top 25. Our wins won't amount to much between now and Minnesota on 12/20 (which hopefully happens), but some of the teams between us and 25 will find ways to lose between now and then. 

46 minutes ago, slu72 said:

No they had LSU record at 1-1. 

Computer systems can "listen" for changes in data and make updates in real time.  Hence why LSU's record was updated after today's loss while their ranking remain unchanged.

And it's not a real poll ranking anyway.  LSU is slotted number 23 in the "top 25 and 1 ranking" on the CBS Sports website.  It's the top 26 teams according to Gary Parrish, going into today's action.  The real polls, based on voter ballots (AP, Coaches), is released every Monday.

At this time in the season, there is a great deal of variation in the rankings of teams provided by different sources. I think the best way to handle this is to choose one ranking source and sticking with it for the season. This is, in my opinion, the best way to follow the ups and downs of a team as the season is played.

Of course, as the season progresses, the difference between the rankings provided by different sources should decrease. In statistical terms there will be a regression to the mean as this process takes place.

Saw the first half live, but could only follow the second half play by play on statbroadcast.com. That second half, WOW, what a game. Perkins and Thomas put on a show. Both looked like NBA ready players right now. Terrific win for the good guys!!

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

No they had LSU record at 1-1. 

Look at the time of the article. It was before the game. They just adjusted the records. All rankings that I know of update the records as games are played but don't juggle or recalculate the order after every win or loss. Next time it's updated the order will reflect the loss for LSU and maybe the win will propel us into the top 25

Rewatching the game from the couch in NYC (lot of time on my hands during holiday weekend in quarantine). Some more thoughts on today’s matchup:

-This game perfectly illustrates why we benefit from Hasahn but also why we can adjust without him. We sorely missed his rim protection and ability to guard a player like Watford. On the other hand, we did not miss his post up game. He can be a valuable offensive player, but it shouldn’t come at the expense of shots from Perkins/Jimerson

-Yuri noticeably improved his ballhandling and command of the offense during the offseason. He was able to quickly get us to adjust our offensive sets when LSU switched to zone. Also very active defensively and did a good job on smart

-While Jacobs understandably gets compared to Thatch/Jimerson, he really occupies a slightly different role. He is more of a combo 1/2 who can play point when Yuri is out. Uses wingspan to finish over longer defenders.

-Linssen moves well enough to become a good defender, but he was getting worked by Watford/Days. However, Bell had a couple mental lapses early in the second half which is why Linssen played most of the second half. It’s good that we can ride the hot hand with those two

-We play like a well coached team. We know our plays and we execute them. We know our rotations and we execute them. Great work by Ford and the team leadership in getting this group bought in and focused.

8 hours ago, NH said:

Rewatching the game from the couch in NYC (lot of time on my hands during holiday weekend in quarantine). Some more thoughts on today’s matchup:

-This game perfectly illustrates why we benefit from Hasahn but also why we can adjust without him. We sorely missed his rim protection and ability to guard a player like Watford. On the other hand, we did not miss his post up game. He can be a valuable offensive player, but it shouldn’t come at the expense of shots from Perkins/Jimerson

-Yuri noticeably improved his ballhandling and command of the offense during the offseason. He was able to quickly get us to adjust our offensive sets when LSU switched to zone. Also very active defensively and did a good job on smart

-While Jacobs understandably gets compared to Thatch/Jimerson, he really occupies a slightly different role. He is more of a combo 1/2 who can play point when Yuri is out. Uses wingspan to finish over longer defenders.

-Linssen moves well enough to become a good defender, but he was getting worked by Watford/Days. However, Bell had a couple mental lapses early in the second half which is why Linssen played most of the second half. It’s good that we can ride the hot hand with those two

-We play like a well coached team. We know our plays and we execute them. We know our rotations and we execute them. Great work by Ford and the team leadership in getting this group bought in and focused.

Absolutely agree with the bolded.  We have the flexibility to win in different ways. But in this particular case, French and Thatch's defense turn this into a double digit Billikens win.  Two guys were killing us and it just happens to be the two guys Thatch and French would have defended.  Perkins will do what he does no matter who's on the floor.

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Absolutely agree with the bolded.  We have the flexibility to win in different ways. But in this particular case, French and Thatch's defense turn this into a double digit Billikens win.  Two guys were killing us and it just happens to be the two guys Thatch and French would have defended.  Perkins will do what he does no matter who's on the floor.

Yep TF looking good. Cool use of Strickland end of half. Will be fun watching him use this depth rotating Has end of halves on offense n defense. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's exactly what I thought watching the game. I have no doubt it is a double digit win with those two. They would have just cooled down Thomas and Watford a little bit in the second half and we cruise to a comfortable win. As it turns out, we sorta play LSU's game in the second half and still win. It shows you how scary good we can be. Don't always have to rely on bullyball. We have the offensive firepower to outgun a team if we have to, but if we also have the likes of Thatch and Has we can play bullyball as well. I just want to see how our team looks when we're all healthy. Hopefully beginning next game.

31 minutes ago, almaman said:

Yep TF looking good. Cool use of Strickland end of half. Will be fun watching him use this depth rotating Has end of halves on offense n defense. 

Also, the sideline out of bounds play with only five seconds on the clock was a thing of beauty. We're lucky to have Coach Ford. Also, another overlooked play was JGood's great hustle to secure the rebound on the sideline which led to the three where Perkins was fouled. Without that one, who knows how it plays out. Perkins was unbelievable, GJ was clutch and everyone played well. GREAT Win!!

From my view, LSU was three players --- Watford, Thomas and Smart.  What they score --- 67 of 81 points?  Days was okay but their bench was non-existent.  I said they'd go to straight offensive bombing in the second half and they did.  Thomas was unconscious.  Smart had that role in the first half with Thomas down with two fouls.  Watford did what he wanted against our bigs but that's what all-SEC guys do.  We had better collective production to eke that out.

What is most impressive is doing so without French and Thatch.  This win clearly demonstrates what veteran savvy and understanding can mean to middle tier teams like ours.  This is the sustainability I have longed for.  We are there.  Keep it going. 

I hope Notre Dame accepts our call.   Make them come to us.

12 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

From my view, LSU was three players --- Watford, Thomas and Smart.  What they score --- 67 of 81 points?  Days was okay but their bench was non-existent.  I said they'd go to straight offensive bombing in the second half and they did.  Thomas was unconscious.  Smart had that role in the first half with Thomas down with two fouls.  Watford did what he wanted against our bigs but that's what all-SEC guys do.  We had better collective production to eke that out.

What is most impressive is doing so without French and Thatch.  This win clearly demonstrates what veteran savvy and understanding can mean to middle tier teams like ours.  This is the sustainability I have longed for.  We are there.  Keep it going. 

I hope Notre Dame accepts our call.   Make them come to us.

According to Ford that ship sailed

35 minutes ago, ACE said:

I hate the SEC and have I mentioned I also hate Will Wade 😉 The only disappointment from yesterday is that the FBI didn't arrest him when he left the Fetz.

I’m pretty sure the only people who don’t hate will Wade are the players he gave bags of cash to and his Grandmother. 
I’d be willing to bet even his Mom and Dad think he is a POS.

ACE likes this