GDT: Beat the Tigahs

wgstl

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, JGR6396 said:

Stupid question, maybe. I don’t know a lot about the rankings, but with a W today, and UCLA losing (maybe others?) Do we have a chance to be ranked?

We are ranked at all times, regardless of how good or bad the ranking is. For example before beating SIUE TeamRankings had us at 63. After we beat SIUE the way we did it, we went to 43. I imagine they will get us higher after beating LSU.

LSU started at 36, went down after their mediocre win over SIUE to 54, I imagine they will go further down now after being beaten by us. How much? I do not know.

So it all depends on what you mean by ranking.  Top 50? top 25, what do  you have in mind?

28 minutes ago, SLUperman said:

• Javonte Perkins is the best pure scorer to ever don a Billiken jersey. One of the purest shots I've ever seen. He has a spot in the league if he keeps playing like this IMO. Not joking.

That was some video game sheyat down the stretch. I mean, he show us he could do it last year, but this game was slipping away after Yuri picked up his 4th, we couldn't get stops as we badly missed French on the defensive end, but Perkins would not let us lose.

Credit Jordan Goodwin for making big plays when we absolutely needed them while having a rough game overall.

Great team win.

INCREDIBLE WIN! Perk is otherworldly. Gibson hit some HUGE shots. To be honest this is nitpicking, but I think JGood would say this himself, he did not play well tonight. At least not by his ridiculously high standards. And that’s ok, everybody has off nights and he’s going to have huge games for us later in the season, no doubt about it. But to win a game like this, without Has, without Thatch, and with JGood not playing his best, would’ve been unfathomable last year. So happy for the guys. And honestly, we’re only going to get better, which is a scary proposition. #TeamBlue

LSU returned all 5 starters and has recruited some great FR. I think I read where they had like the 5th ranked class this year. Please correct me if I’m wrong on that. My point is 5 starters returning plus good recruiting class (Thomas 5 star is justified) with 2 players named to preseason all SEC 1st team is a very solid team. We beat them missing 2 key players (no way Wartford goes off like he did against Has and having Thatch on Smart or Thomas would have helped too) with really no home court crowd advantage. This was straight up hoops like playing on a playground court. We were the better team. Hats off to Perk, Jimerson, JGood, and a special tip of the cap to Demarius who rose to the occasion. Bottom line we beat an experienced talented P5 school. I don’t think the A10 has a better team than LSU. When we get back to full strength watch out the Bills are coming!

26 minutes ago, Old guy said:

We are ranked at all times, regardless of how good or bad the ranking is. For example before beating SIUE TeamRankings had us at 63. After we beat SIUE the way we did it, we went to 43. I imagine they will get us higher after beating LSU.

LSU started at 36, went down after their mediocre win over SIUE to 54, I imagine they will go further down now after being beaten by us. How much? I do not know.

So it all depends on what you mean by ranking.  Top 50? top 25, what do  you have in mind?

Psst!  When some asks about "being ranked," they're talking about the AP Top 25.  It's that simple.

25 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

INCREDIBLE WIN! Perk is otherworldly. Gibson hit some HUGE shots. To be honest this is nitpicking, but I think JGood would say this himself, he did not play well tonight. At least not by his ridiculously high standards. And that’s ok, everybody has off nights and he’s going to have huge games for us later in the season, no doubt about it. But to win a game like this, without Has, without Thatch, and with JGood not playing his best, would’ve been unfathomable last year. So happy for the guys. And honestly, we’re only going to get better, which is a scary proposition. #TeamBlue

It is nice when not playing well still results in a double double.

I actually agree with you.  Goody had 6 turnovers and got beat on D uncharacteristically a couple of times.  "Only" 2 offensive rebounds and 1 steal for him.  He also had at least 1 silly foul near the end of the 1st half.  Took him 13 shots to get to 11 points.

Great thing about him is that even in an off game he always has a positive impact with his effort.

Crazy to me that Goodwin did not take any FTs this game.  This is only his 10th without a FT attempt in 95 career games.  The last one was January 22, 2020 at Davidson and that was his only free throw-less game last season.  His last game at Chaifetz without FTs was January 6, 2019 vs Rhode Island.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

It is nice when not playing well still results in a double double.

I actually agree with you.  Goody had 6 turnovers and got beat on D uncharacteristically a couple of times.  "Only" 2 offensive rebounds and 1 steal for him.  He also had at least 1 silly foul near the end of the 1st half.  Took him 13 shots to get to 11 points.

Great thing about him is that even in an off game he always has a positive impact with his effort.

Crazy to me that Goodwin did not take any FTs this game.  This is only his 10th without a FT attempt in 95 career games.  The last one was January 22, 2020 at Davidson and that was his only free throw-less game last season.  His last game at Chaifetz without FTs was January 6, 2019 vs Rhode Island.

Exactly. I think he was just trying to force things a little too much today. But most of his mistakes today were aggressive mistakes, trying to force the action. You never have to worry about JGood’s effort. Today just wasn’t up to his usual standards. I honestly kinda feel bad for Arkansas-Pine Bluff on the 5th. You still have this same team, you have to face Perk, Gibson, Yuri, JGood will inevitably play better, Thatch should be good to go, Has will probably be so pumped up he might rip somebody’s head off, then after that, you still have TJ, Jacobs, Jimmy Bell, Linssen, then our talented (if inexperienced) freshmen. We might beat Pine Bluff by 100!

58 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I guess I was thinking top 25. Number next to your name kinda rankings. After cooling off from the thrill and the 6 pack of 4 hands rye IPAs, I think I just got caught up in it. Win out through Minnesota and I won’t be so off base!  

11 minutes ago, JGR6396 said:

I guess I was thinking top 25. Number next to your name kinda rankings. After cooling off from the thrill and the 6 pack of 4 hands rye IPAs, I think I just got caught up in it. Win out through Minnesota and I won’t be so off base!  

I think we will be in the top 25 when the next rankings are published 

Checked the stats for the game both teams were very close to one another with the exception that SLU's stats were generally better than LSU's. The stats that were significantly better for SLU were FT scoring at 92.9% vs 76.2%, rebounds 30 vs 22, assists 21 vs 12.

I am very happy with the FT stats, that is something we have not enjoyed for years. It may well be that we won this game because of our superior FT scoring.

unclecarl likes this

Great win without one of our best players.  Perk is the real deal, I haven’t seen anyone else IN THE COUNTRY that can put the ball in the bucket like he can since maybe Steph curry.  Also Jacobs off the bench making big buckets was huge.  He looked cool and relaxed.

31 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

I don’t see SLU being ranked since there has been very few teams losing in the Top 25 so far. 

We are close to being in the mid 30s of the rankings if we continue playing like we have. Never fear, we have enough oomph to go to the Dance, all that it will take is to keep on playing like we have, particularly like we did today.