Thatch Out a 'Week or So'

HoosierPal

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to knock Fred in any way, but this should give Demarius more minutes. While he may not be the defensive gem Fred is, he's more than capable. Also, he should know if he wants more minutes on this team he's got to play good D. I'd give the offensive edge to Demarius at this point since we haven't seen enough of Fred in the recent pass to know where his game is. While we'll miss Fred, we have a very capable guy in Demarius Jacobs. 

As for Has, yes, we'd all like him to be in there, but if he's not fully recovered let him rest. It's a long season, and Linssen looked pretty capable out there as well. One thing about the game against SIUE that I found a little disappointing was Jimmy Bell's reluctance to jam on put backs. He passed on taking it strong to the hoop twice and missed on layups when a jam would have done the job. Love ya', Jimmy, but you gotta play strong!

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Not to knock Fred in any way, but this should give Demarius more minutes. While he may not be the defensive gem Fred is, he's more than capable. Also, he should know if he wants more minutes on this team he's got to play good D. I'd give the offensive edge to Demarius at this point since we haven't seen enough of Fred in the recent pass to know where his game is. While we'll miss Fred, we have a very capable guy in Demarius Jacobs. 

As for Has, yes, we'd all like him to be in there, but if he's not fully recovered let him rest. It's a long season, and Linssen looked pretty capable out there as well. One thing about the game against SIUE that I found a little disappointing was Jimmy Bell's reluctance to jam on put backs. He passed on taking it strong to the hoop twice and missed on layups when a jam would have done the job. Love ya', Jimmy, but you gotta play strong!

Agree, this is why you build depth. If Jacobs is not up to the task that's a real problem, but he seems to play better the more minutes he gets so I think he'll be more than fine. 

32 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Totally agree about Jacobs. I thought he played really well on Wednesday and I think we forget he almost scored double figures (9), but it kinda faded to the background because other guys played so great. I’d also love to see more of TJ. He just brings so much energy and his jumper looks significantly better, smoother than last year. I also think agree about Jimmy Bell, he needs to go up stronger, but I remember 1 play on Wednesday where he went up strong for a 2-handed slam and just missed it but got fouled. He needs to bring that strength every play. He’s got the strength and the footwork to dominate down low, he just needs a little more confidence to take it up strong every single time, and worst case scenario he gets fouled. I’ll take that. But I give him a little bit of the benefit of the doubt since he just recently came back from a sore foot. He just needs to believe in himself a bit more. He’s got the tools.

39 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I wasn't as impressed with Linssen as others seem to be. Yes, he scored a bit but it was SIU-E. However, he also only had 2 boards against SIU-E. Imo Has is better offensively and far superior defensively. I want Has in this game if at all possible. I worry that we don't have a lot of out of conference games to leave a mark, we need to win this one. 

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I wasn't as impressed with Linssen as others seem to be. Yes, he scored a bit but it was SIU-E. However, he also only had 2 boards against SIU-E. Imo Has is better offensively and far superior defensively. I want Has in this game if at all possible. I worry that we don't have a lot of out of conference games to leave a mark, we need to win this one. 

skip no one said linssen should play ahead of french.   all i said and i think others agree, we finally have a credible backup for the inside.   not another bryce husak who brings nothing.  

AGB91, Zink and dennis_w like this

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

I don’t think there’s any question that Has is better in most aspects of the game. I also worry about the LSU game without Has. I kinda think of the Linssen situation in terms of a MLB starting pitching rotation. You can be an impressed with a guy being your number 3 starter but still understand that you’re gonna be in trouble if, for whatever reason, you need him to be your ace. Linssen looks like an excellent backup for Has (along with Jimmy Bell), but if we start needing him to play 30 minutes a game, we might be in trouble. It all depends on the context.

2 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I don’t think there’s any question that Has is better in most aspects of the game. I also worry about the LSU game without Has. I kinda think of the Linssen situation in terms of a MLB starting pitching rotation. You can be an impressed with a guy being your number 3 starter but still understand that you’re gonna be in trouble if, for whatever reason, you need him to be your ace. Linssen looks like an excellent backup for Has (along with Jimmy Bell), but if we start needing him to play 30 minutes a game, we might be in trouble. It all depends on the context.

I looking forward to seeing what Linssen can do against strong competition.  If he acquits himself well, then this team's ceiling is even higher than we thought.  LSU's frontcourt is the most formidable one we'll face all year.

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

skip no one said linssen should play ahead of french.   all i said and i think others agree, we finally have a credible backup for the inside.   not another bryce husak who brings nothing.  

I get that obviously.  however 2 rebounds concerns me and it just seems like the tone is losing Has is more tolerable because we have Linnsen. One game against a far inferior opponent hasn't convinced me of much yet. 

i dont even think that linnsen plays ahead of bell when bell gets into shape.   (lets not forget jimmy only got out of boot less than a week ago).   he likely wont advance after french graduates either as okoro awaits as well.   but again, having an inside back up willing to protect the lane (took 3 charges!) and make some free throws and set some good screens is nothing to toss off.   you mention the rebounds, but it was pretty obvious goodwin wasnt going to share much of the rebounds in the first half.   

i didnt expect much from linnsen with this being his 3rd stop and all.   but i thought he showed fine Wednesday night.   i am excited he's here expanding our depth a lot.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Big Bill fan you must lead a pretty lonely life. 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I think the offense will take care of itself. It's on the defensive side that we will need to bring our game up a notch from SIUE.  The Tigers played a lot of 2 in, 3 out on Thursday.  Watford isn't a three point threat, but Days will shoot beyond the arc.  So does that mean Linnsen guards Watford?  Hmmm.  I'd feel much better with French on him. (If French does play, we will be holding our collective breath to see how many minutes he can go.)  When Shaq Jr comes in, he can stretch the floor, so again we need a mobile defender on him.  I'm seeing Hargrove getting some early minutes to see if he is tuned up on D.  Or Ford can get Goodwin on Watford and see how he can battle him.  That would leave Thomas to someone else.   

I'd expect to see a good amount of zone tomorrow.  

At the end of the season this could be our highest rated opponent.  That is a long way away, but today, they would be just that.  This game is important. Our OOC is 2 solid games, plus 6 cupcakes.  Come Selection Sunday, the NCAA won't remember who was hurt, who played, or who sat.  it will be the usual NET and quality wins.

billiken_roy and slufanskip like this

Just now, BIG BILL FAN said:

Let’s see...Linssen scored 11 points in 19 minutes and went 7 of 8 from the line, and you want to disparage his effort... hmm, let’s think about who the lonely, unhappy one is....

Seriously? Are you that childish?  At least have the balls to admit that it really has nothing to do with my post if it did you'd be bad posting a hell of a lot more posts on here. You got your panties in a wad before because you thought I was being mean and now you have bad posts you can play with. Go to it. Honestly with your reputation on the board I'll wear like a badge of honor. 

And I didn't disparage his effort, I noted his offense was against a bad opponent and he did not rebound well. Those are both factual statements. Do you think SIU-E is a good team? Do you think 2 rebounds in 19 minutes against them is good? Maybe we just have different opinions of good. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Big Bill fan you must lead a pretty lonely life. 

Personal attacks on fellow posters is low class, Skip....please knock it off.  Seems to me you fall into the category of can dish it out but can't take it.  You have no problem mocking young Hightower but get your panties in a knot for receiving a bad post. 

billikenbill likes this

28 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Personal attacks on fellow posters is low class, Skip....please knock it off.  Seems to me you fall into the category of can dish it out but can't take it.  You have no problem mocking young Hightower but get your panties in a knot for receiving a bad post. 

Thanks for proving my point, Skip.

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I disagree. I think it was the goal for our guards to rebound more so we can push the tempo better. 

4 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Who has ever remotely suggested that Linssen should be starting and getting 30 minutes per game??? The man has a role on this team as a backup, and he performed admirably... that’s how he should be appraised, but some will never be satisfied... but make sure the next time you and Skip see him, let him know you’re not impressed.. as for me, I’ll say well done young man, and glad to have you as a Billiken...

4 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I get that obviously.  however 2 rebounds concerns me and it just seems like the tone is losing Has is more tolerable because we have Linnsen. One game against a far inferior opponent hasn't convinced me of much yet. 

Nobody should have expected Linnsen to be a strong rebounder.  He never showed any signs of being one to this point. What he was last season was one of the most effective and efficient scoring big men in the country last season when he was on the floor.

42 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

I disagree. I think it was the goal for our guards to rebound more so we can push the tempo better. 

I highly doubt we had a plan to have our bigs not rebound as much so our guards could crash the boards allowing us to push the tempo. How would a guard getting the rebound rather than a big allow you to push the tempo easier than if a big got the board? 

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I highly doubt we had a plan to have our bigs not rebound as much so our guards could crash the boards allowing us to push the tempo. How would a guard getting the rebound rather than a big allow you to push the tempo easier than if a big got the board? 

It was his first game with the team. He had 11 points. Made free throws and took 3 charges. There’s a lot of positives compared to 1 negative, especially when he’s playing with the best rebounding guard in the country who had 9 rebounds at halftime. If rebounding is the aspect of Linssen’s game that we’re most worried about this season, we’re going to be winning a lot of games. 

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Nobody should have expected Linnsen to be a strong rebounder.  He never showed any signs of being one to this point. What he was last season was one of the most effective and efficient scoring big men in the country last season when he was on the floor.

He averaged 4.6 in 20.5 min last year and 2.0 in 7.4 the year before that. Look, I'm not expecting him to be Has nor was I disparaging him, but 2 boards in 19 minutes against a bad opponent isn't good. His 11 points are nice, it was a good offensive game, however, we can't forget it was against SIU-E. How many times have we seen a player score a lot in an early season game against an inferior opponent and then not be able to repeat that. I appreciate his good f/t shooting. I didn't say he was good or bad, just that I want to see him continue that sort of offensive game against better opponents and I'd like to see better rebounding before I'll say I'm impressed with his play. 

When did this board become a place where you can't comment on a players game unless you say they were fantastic. 

RUBillsFan likes this

4 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

It was his first game with the team. He had 11 points. Made free throws and took 3 charges. There’s a lot of positives compared to 1 negative, especially when he’s playing with the best rebounding guard in the country who had 9 rebounds at halftime. If rebounding is the aspect of Linssen’s game that we’re most worried about this season, we’re going to be winning a lot of games. 

WTF ... I regress, I thought his rebounding was fantastic. I'll be excited if he keeps that pace. And if you ask me the thing I want most from the player subbing for French it'd be defend and rebound. Can we not mention something we didn't like anymore? 

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

He averaged 4.6 in 20.5 min last year and 2.0 in 7.4 the year before that. Look, I'm not expecting him to be Has nor was I disparaging him, but 2 boards in 19 minutes against a bad opponent isn't good. His 11 points are nice, it was a good offensive game, however, we can't forget it was against SIU-E. How many times have we seen a player score a lot in an early season game against an inferior opponent and then not be able to repeat that. I appreciate his good f/t shooting. I didn't say he was good or bad, just that I want to see him continue that sort of offensive game against better opponents and I'd like to see better rebounding before I'll say I'm impressed with his play. 

When did this board become a place where you can't comment on a players game unless you say they were fantastic. 

I not saying he is fantastic.  I just knew he wasn’t a good rebounder going in.  So the two boards yesterday is about what I was expecting.  I expect some improvement before he leaves.  Tate has been effective before with improving big men when it comes to rebounding.