Locals, Tools and potential transfers to SLU

ACE

6 hours ago, slu72 said:

Fry it and you’ll have them thar recruits eating out of your hand. 
I’ll wager Mr Poach Coach would have no problem finding a slot for Fletcher. 

Probably has called him since the incident.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I wouldn't totally write him off because of one incident his freshman year.  He signed up for UK assuming they would win.  He didn't sign up to lose and sit on the bench.  I can see how that would be frustrating.

I also don't think it is realistic to just assume that any local player who needs a change of scenery will wind up at SLU.

Hopefully Cam gets everything sorted out and has a successful career wherever.  Calipari on the other hand is a scumbag and especially repugnant for airing everything out on social media.  I hope this really hurts him and UK.

Not to mention the added stress from COVID.  Players are isolated like never before from friends and family.  I am surprised we haven’t had more situations like Fletcher’s so far.

RUBillsFan likes this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

McKissic's tweet about transferring appears to be gone now and he recently tweeted this:

I'm guessing that means he's sticking with the Roos.  @Coach314 any insight?

Out of respect to the family I won't go into details.  There's a lot to the story.  In the end...Brandon heard from a lot of schools once he entered the portal.  SLU,  Arkansas and some schools from the WAC conference.  He will graduate in the spring and explore his options then.  

21 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Out of respect to the family I won't go into details.  There's a lot to the story.  In the end...Brandon heard from a lot of schools once he entered the portal.  SLU,  Arkansas and some schools from the WAC conference.  He will graduate in the spring and explore his options then.  

Thanks.  That's probably the best option for him.  He can continue to play / be on scholarship at UMKC and finish his academic year there.  If he were to transfer now, a lot of schools may not have scholarships available for him, so he'd need to pay his own way for a semester.  Better to wait and have your pick of schools than settle for one that happens to have a scholarship available now.

The mighty Mick played but did score for TCU’s victory against power house Prairie View.

KC Hankton with 17 in a loss to Furman.  7-10 from the field 3-5 3pts

Kobe Clark is back after missing a few games due to injury. He's scoreless in his last three games. Averaging 5 minutes and 0.5 pts/game on the season.

In random transfer news, not related to this thread or SLU, a five star freshman from Texas Tech is transferring after just a semester. He was averaging 17 mpg which is not bad, but he only got 6 minutes in his last game, so then he bails. There may be more to the story, but it just highlights how impatient some talented young players are. I think many of them are used to being the man in high school and have never learned how to battle through a little adversity.

6 minutes ago, ACE said:

Kobe Clark is back after missing a few games due to injury. He's scoreless in his last three games. Averaging 5 minutes and 0.5 pts/game on the season.

In random transfer news, not related to this thread or SLU, a five star freshman from Texas Tech is transferring after just a semester. He was averaging 17 mpg which is not bad, but he only got 6 minutes in his last game, so then he bails. There may be more to the story, but it just highlights how impatient some talented young players are. I think many of them are used to being the man in high school and have never learned how to battle through a little adversity.

Burnett was shooting 28% from the field and 17% from three on the season.  Not only is he struggling mightily, the starting guards are only juniors.  A sophomore transfer who made his debut in late December has displaced him from the rotation. 

One of the major reasons a top 40 kid goes to a non-blue blood is to play right away.  Burnett's choice hasn't panned out at all.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Burnett was shooting 28% from the field and 17% from three on the season.  Not only is he struggling mightily, the starting guards are only juniors.  A sophomore transfer who made his debut in late December has displaced him from the rotation. 

One of the major reasons a top 40 kid goes to a non-blue blood is to play right away.  Burnett's choice hasn't panned out at all.

I understand they are not historically, but Texas Tech under Chris Beard is pretty much a blue blood.  They're currently 15th in KenPom and the last few years have been 21, 5, and 11.  That's an average of 13 over the last 4 seasons.  By my count only programs who have been equal or better are Gonzaga (3.75), Duke (7.25), Michigan (8.75), Kansas (9.75), and Villanova (13).

If this kid expected to still get playing time even if he sucked, then he picked the wrong school.

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He had a SLU offer. Missed his shot.

There have been an amazing number of top 100 recruits who have been ineffective this season.  The inability to go through normal preseason preparation has taken its toll.  Since every player gets a mulligan this year, there may be more freshmen than usual looking to start over somewhere else. Coach Ford's decision to wait until spring to complete this year's class looks better ever day.

Not sure why I expect this, but I think Javonte’s going to take that extra year. He’s a marked man now vs an unknown. I think he might decide he needs another year to refine his game a bit more. He might declare but just to see where he stands. Of course, if he gets some assurances he will be drafted all bets are off. 

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Not sure why I expect this, but I think Javonte’s going to take that extra year. He’s a marked man now vs an unknown. I think he might decide he needs another year to refine his game a bit more. He might declare but just to see where he stands. Of course, if he gets some assurances he will be drafted all bets are off. 

IF JP does come back, SLU would have to be (heavy?)favorites again next year, right?

23 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don't know anything more than you do (probably less😄) but it is EXTREMELY hard to get into the NBA.  There are 60 players drafted each year, and lately 10 to 20% have been foreign.  College freshmen make up a significant percentage of the remainder.  Fifth year seniors getting drafted is extremely rare.  First round picks have guaranteed salaries (see Obi Toppin's 10 mil) and most second rounders get some form of contract.  An NBA two-way contract for this past draft class runs $80,000.  That is what most/many second rounders are looking at.  Foreign dollars are out there and can outpace that $80K.  

almaman and billiken_roy like this

23 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't know anything more than you do (probably less😄) but it is EXTREMELY hard to get into the NBA.  There are 60 players drafted each year, and lately 10 to 20% have been foreign.  College freshmen make up a significant percentage of the remainder.  Fifth year seniors getting drafted is extremely rare.  First round picks have guaranteed salaries (see Obi Toppin's 10 mil) and most second rounders get some form of contract.  An NBA two-way contract for this past draft class runs $80,000.  That is what most/many second rounders are looking at.  Foreign dollars are out there and can outpace that $80K.  

Like I said just a feeling.