Locals, Tools and potential transfers to SLU

ACE

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

BBN is in such disarray that they're breaking down the last few minutes of the Kentucky/UNC game like the Zapruder film:

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/timeline-the-late-game-downrama-with-calipari-fletcher-and-clarke/

Well, that sums it up nicely. He asked him to step away as he is about to transfer. Either he is trying to save face for himself, the program, or give Fletcher time to make a decision. That said, Fletcher shouldn’t have walked out of a game. Shame on the media for making a big deal out of this, and shame on Calipari for making it a headline with his twitter activity. I wouldn’t be surprised if more players leave after this. You really can’t burn your current players. 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

So...Cam to SLU?

I wish but do you have a good feeling he would want to come home because I don’t have a good feeling.

Fletcher had some big time offers and our team is in good shape with Okoro, Bell, and Linssen.

@Coach314would have a better feel if there is a chance Fletcher would want to play for SLU, I trust his knowledge about local players.

4 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I wish but do you have a good feeling he would want to come home because I don’t have a good feeling.

Fletcher had some big time offers and our team is in good shape with Okoro, Bell, and Linssen.

@Coach314would have a better feel if there is a chance Fletcher would want to play for SLU, I trust his knowledge about local players.

I believe Fletcher is more of a wing forward, so the players in front of him at SLU would be Jacobs, Thatch, Jimerson, Hargrove, and Strickland.  (Those players might be part of what made Nesbitt opt for another school.)

CBFan and billiken_roy like this

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I believe Fletcher is more of a wing forward, so the players in front of him at SLU would be Jacobs, Thatch, Jimerson, Hargrove, and Strickland.  (Those players might be part of what made Nesbitt opt for another school.)

I felt the same way about Nesbitt.  Thank you for the clarification.

33 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I felt the same way about Nesbitt.  Thank you for the clarification.

I got the feeling Nesbitt wanted some time at PG, which he wasn’t likely to get behind Yurimania. Not saying that was the reason he chose Messphis but may have played into his decision. 

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I got the feeling Nesbitt wanted some time at PG, which he wasn’t likely to get behind Yurimania. Not saying that was the reason he chose Messphis but may have played into his decision. 

I saw the second half of Memphis v. Tulsa last night. Memphis looked awful. A lot of hero ball. They blew a 2nd half lead at home to a bad Tulsa team. They looked dysfunctional too - maybe not to UK levels - but pretty bad. 

Worse than playing bad basketball... they played extremely boring basketball - scoring only 49 points. They are now 5-4 and will have a lot of work to do to make the Dance. I don't really get the appeal of playing for Penny.

cgeldmacher likes this

18 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I heard it essentially came down to Penny putting on the full court press and Nesbitt really liking him and his pitch. I am not saying we got out recruited nor would I have any way of knowing that, but I think he may have perceived that Penny was doing more than the other programs recruiting him were to show him the love. I saw someone post that he may have been concerned about the competition at his position, I have a tough time with that considering the names listed.

I do think you are right that Nesbitt is more of a combo guard type playing on and off of the ball (despite being bigger than most guys we typically call combo guards) while Fletcher is more of a wing forward type, a more traditional SF to use what I assume is a dated term.

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I think Penny was selling Nesbitt a line about the PG position but it appears he's spoken the lie into existence.  Boogie Ellis at the point has been a disaster this year, averaging 1 apg.  He's been relegated to the sixth man role.  Penny and company lost to Tulsa last night, falling to 5-4.  

That's what I mean by saying Nesbitt is the next local player headed for a season of frustration.  That roster needs either a) a transcendent scoring point like Penny to cover up their flaws OR b) a pure point to get the most out of their talent.  Neither is forthcoming.  

12 minutes ago, ACE said:

I saw the second half of Memphis v. Tulsa last night. Memphis looked awful. A lot of hero ball. They blew a 2nd half lead at home to a bad Tulsa team. They looked dysfunctional too - maybe not to UK levels - but pretty bad. 

Worse than playing bad basketball... they played extremely boring basketball - scoring only 49 points. They are now 5-4 and will have a lot of work to do to make the Dance. I don't really get the appeal of playing for Penny.

IMG_1939-2_6192f2a6-95f2-40cb-9ed8-b83cb

CBFan and NextYearBill like this

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

The last thing SLU needs to do is bring a problem into the program. Dude though he was bigger than the UK program to pull what he pulled in the NC game, we don't need that.

18 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

The last thing SLU needs to do is bring a problem into the program. Dude though he was bigger than the UK program to pull what he pulled in the NC game, we don't need that.

I wouldn't totally write him off because of one incident his freshman year.  He signed up for UK assuming they would win.  He didn't sign up to lose and sit on the bench.  I can see how that would be frustrating.

I also don't think it is realistic to just assume that any local player who needs a change of scenery will wind up at SLU.

Hopefully Cam gets everything sorted out and has a successful career wherever.  Calipari on the other hand is a scumbag and especially repugnant for airing everything out on social media.  I hope this really hurts him and UK.

mdscott24 and brianstl like this

56 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I wouldn't totally write him off because of one incident his freshman year.  He signed up for UK assuming they would win.  He didn't sign up to lose and sit on the bench.  I can see how that would be frustrating.

I also don't think it is realistic to just assume that any local player who needs a change of scenery will wind up at SLU.

Hopefully Cam gets everything sorted out and has a successful career wherever.  Calipari on the other hand is a scumbag and especially repugnant for airing everything out on social media.  I hope this really hurts him and UK.

Agree not to write him off.  If Ford talks to him and says that can never happen again, and you have to earn your playing time here.  If you earn it great.  If not, you're on the bench.  If Cam agrees with that, then bring him on board.  Worst case scenario, if he melts down again, Ford wouldn't look like the one in the wrong by sending him packing a second time.

Don't misunderstand me either, Cam might be a great kid that just had a bad moment.  When you are as talented as he is and you assume that you picked the best school for you, but then find out that your team actually sucks, your coach is an a-hole, and your chances of going to the NBA after one year are dwindling, that can be a frustrating moment for a kid.  He could come here and be an outstanding player and teammate.

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

34 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Agree not to write him off.  If Ford talks to him and says that can never happen again, and you have to earn your playing time here.  If you earn it great.  If not, you're on the bench.  If Cam agrees with that, then bring him on board.  Worst case scenario, if he melts down again, Ford wouldn't look like the one in the wrong by sending him packing a second time.

Don't misunderstand me either, Cam might be a great kid that just had a bad moment.  When you are as talented as he is and you assume that you picked the best school for you, but then find out that your team actually sucks, your coach is an a-hole, and your chances of going to the NBA after one year are dwindling, that can be a frustrating moment for a kid.  He could come here and be an outstanding player and teammate.

Coach and staff will have the best perspective on this.  If Fletcher transfers (likely) and if SLU is in play (who knows?) the staff will vet him properly.  We had one recent head case with Gordon and we certainly don't want to go down that path.  If you assume all three seniors depart, then he is competing with Hargrove, Strickland, Jacobs, Thatch, Jimerson, and Lorentsson for time at the wing.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Well, I think you just found the recipe for taking our recruiting to a new level.

Fry it and you’ll have them thar recruits eating out of your hand. 
I’ll wager Mr Poach Coach would have no problem finding a slot for Fletcher.