Locals, Tools and potential transfers to SLU

ACE

Mononucleosis is not a one size fits all disease. Some cases are very severe, other cases are not. Besides the weakness and feeling of depletion it produces, it does cause spelnomegaly (enlargement of the spleen) in any number of cases. This is what would keep an athlete from playing contact sports. If the enlargement is sizable, the chances for a spleen perforation or rupture are high. Athletes cannot be allowed to play until the spleen is back to normal or close to normal in size. Not everybody has a significantly enlarged spleen with mononuclosis. True, splenomegaly or not the symptoms of weakness and depletion may continue for a longer time, making it harder for the athlete to play at his/her normal tempo. So, they may be able to play but they may not be playing their usual game for a variable amount of time.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

When not recruiting a point guard goes wrong.

That is a weird collection of talent. Askew seems to be the point, but he's no Yuri. Boston may be the most over-rated player I've ever seen at any level (he makes Brett Thompson look worthy of his star rating).  Saar is talented as a big, but he is soft. If Fletcher can't find minutes with that roster, he never will at UK. UK fans are also wondering why the local kid who averaged 40 a game in HS last year has barely taken off his warm-up (Dionte Allen).

It is a reflection on the job that Travis Ford has done recruiting and building a team here that I could make an argument that all 5 of our starters are better players than UK's starting 5. 

billiken_roy likes this

Someone should have told Cam the success rate of a non 5 star recruit at UK is close to zero.

Even if the team sucks Calipari has to keep the freshman going so they can get drafted and he can keep recruiting one and dones.  His guys will get drafted if the team is terrible or not.  There is no room for someone like Fletcher to flourish short of mass injuries.  UK also has two incoming SFs, both ranked higher than Cam coming in next year.

But Irons can now say he's sent a kid to Kentucky to play for Calipari.  That is what is most important.

29 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Someone should have told Cam the success rate of a non 5 star recruit at UK is close to zero.

Even if the team sucks Calipari has to keep the freshman going so they can get drafted and he can keep recruiting one and dones.  His guys will get drafted if the team is terrible or not.  There is no room for someone like Fletcher to flourish short of mass injuries.  UK also has two incoming SFs, both ranked higher than Cam coming in next year.

But Irons can now say he's sent a kid to Kentucky to play for Calipari.  That is what is most important.

It's a shame that both McKinney and Fletcher walked into situations where the chips were stacked against them.  Jordan Nesbitt looks like the next local kid headed for a frustrating freshman year.  I hope the kids coming behind them come to realize that fit is everything.  Goodwin and Perkins found the right fit and now they're destined to be program Hall-of-Famers.

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's a shame that both McKinney and Fletcher walked into situations where the chips were stacked against them.  Jordan Nesbitt looks like the next local kid headed for a frustrating freshman year.  I hope the kids coming behind them come to realize that fit is everything.  Goodwin and Perkins found the right fit and now they're destined to be program Hall-of-Famers.

You can preach fit to high schoolers all you want, but you have to show that you can put kids in the Association.  Until we do that, kids will still pass us up for the brighter lights of P5 schools, and it's a shame.  

4 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

You can preach fit to high schoolers all you want, but you have to show that you can put kids in the Association.  Until we do that, kids will still pass us up for the brighter lights of P5 schools, and it's a shame.  

Sadly, this is the truth. Because these kids come out of HS and AAU ball feeling like Kings of the Mountain and then getting chased by coaches dangling the NBA carrot in front of them, all rational thought goes out the window. As 3 star points out someone should have told Cam 4 stars are backups at UK. Would it have mattered? It couldn’t hurt, and he might have selected a different landing spot and been playing yesterday rather than crying on the bench. 

31 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Sadly, this is the truth. Because these kids come out of HS and AAU ball feeling like Kings of the Mountain and then getting chased by coaches dangling the NBA carrot in front of them, all rational thought goes out the window. As 3 star points out someone should have told Cam 4 stars are backups at UK. Would it have mattered? It couldn’t hurt, and he might have selected a different landing spot and been playing yesterday rather than crying on the bench. 

I am sure those recruiting against KY for him did tell him but it is hard for a kid who has been a star all his life to ever believe he won't be were ever he goes.  I had a friend years ago obviously who was an All American national football  JUCO player who went to a P5 school and he thought he was hot stuff - he was also All Metro and all state football and baseball.  He got to the P5 school and found out real quick that everybody there was a national something or all state something.  He never did start those 2 years but did get some playing time.  He said it never dawned on him that he wouldn't play - he always had but he learned a valuable lesson - there is always somebody better than you.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think Nesbitt’s situation should be a little different. Nesbitt might be the best college basketball on the Memphis roster when he arrives.  I think Penny realizes what he has in Nesbitt.  

I think he would have been better showcased at SLU and it would have been the better choice for him, but I don’t think think he is looking at a Fletcher or McKinney situation.  Out of all the locals that got away in recent years, he is the one I wanted the most. Even more than Love.

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

Cal will play and start non five stars, but you have to bring something on the roster that those top recruits don’t and you won’t get those starts until you have been in the program for a few years.  Josh Harrellson started every game for them on an Elite Eight team his senior season.

Fletcher was crazy if he thought he was going to start right away.  I wonder how much of his frustration is that they are losing while he is not playing while back at home SLU is getting all kinds of attention nationally and his boys back home are now telling him he should have gone to SLU.

2 hours ago, Coach314 said:

I get that people feel Cam would make a nice addition to the team ...but the teams that made his Final cut were the teams that were actively recruiting him.  I think Cam will take the frustration over minutes as a challenge to do better.  

But did SLU "stop" recruiting him — or back off — because he told them early on that SLU wouldn't be an option he'd consider?

Since this thread is about tools, I thought I would provide a brief f/u about one of my favorite players, the one with the "sick grandma." Pearson has managed to play this season at TCU (6-2). Early on in the season he played a fair amount for 3 games, since then he has been playing about 2 minutes per game. Average mpg 10.8 average ppg 2.4 average rpg 2.  Not exactly impressive.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Since this thread is about tools, I thought I would provide a brief f/u about one of my favorite players, the one with the "sick grandma." Pearson has managed to play this season at TCU (6-2). Early on in the season he played a fair amount for 3 games, since then he has been playing about 2 minutes per game. Average mpg 10.8 average ppg 2.4 average rpg 2.  Not exactly impressive.

more importantly. how's grannie?

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

No, probably should have but since we quit recruiting him, Box and me discussed it and decided to let him off without paying it. Just so you know for future reference we refer to it as the vig

What is the percentage these days, anyway? 

11 hours ago, slufanskip said:

No, probably should have but since we quit recruiting him, Box and me discussed it and decided to let him off without paying it. Just so you know for future reference we refer to it as the vig

Yes, exactly - the vig.  As professionals, we use the proper terminology.

slufanskip likes this