Perkins...Underrated???

crymdg2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

I said it last year. He's the best player on the team. He's the only one with NBA potential. Has to learn to defend better though.

I am not sure I would say he was the overall best player but he certainly has the most NBA potential. And I would have said that last year. 

44 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

I said it last year. He's the best player on the team. He's the only one with NBA potential. Has to learn to defend better though.

Aside from his offensive skill the best thing Perkins has going for him as far as NBA potential is his size.  At 6-6 he can be a wing player in the NBA.

College ball has tons of scorers that at closer to 6 foot and have trouble getting an NBA look.  Myles Powell who is 6-2 for example just recently went undrafted.  

10 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Aside from his offensive skill the best thing Perkins has going for him as far as NBA potential is his size.  At 6-6 he can be a wing player in the NBA.

College ball has tons of scorers that at closer to 6 foot and have trouble getting an NBA look.  Myles Powell who is 6-2 for example just recently went undrafted.  

Myles Powell showed very little interest in playing defense at Seton Hall

To be fair, those posters were still advocating for him to get the 2nd or 3rd most minutes. They just wanted to see his scoring come as a first sub boost around the 17 minute mark. 

I had no opinion either way, but not surprisingly definitely think he looks great as a starter. Jacobs can come in and spell Yuri or JGood or Jimerson or even Perkins as fouls and gameplay warrant which now seems really great.  Thatch is also still in the mix. 

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Myles Powell showed very little interest in playing defense at Seton Hall

True, but in my opinion Perkins is a better offensive player in that he has something you can't teach. And that something is, you can't stop him even when you know what he is going to do, reminds me a little bit of Bernard King in his prime, nothing flashy but Bernard would do essentially the same thing 10 times in a row and still get the shot he wanted. 

5 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Remember a few months ago when some posters acted like Perkins wouldn’t start? Lol

There was no one who didn't want Perkins to paly as many minutes or right up there with French and Goodwin. I like him starting but I honestly don't think it makes a difference look what he did in conference play last year off the bench. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

There was no one who didn't want Perkins to paly as many minutes or right up there with French and Goodwin. I like him starting but I honestly don't think it makes a difference look what he did in conference play last year off the bench. 

I know. I’m just messing around because everyone knew Perkins would start after his conference play.

slufanskip likes this

139.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Player of the Week: Javonte PerkinsSaint Louis Billikens

It would have been easy to go with Iowa's Luka Garza, but I have a feeling we'll be making plenty of references to him throughout the season. So let's go with Perkins. He had 22 points in 20 minutes in the opener against SIU Edwardsville and followed it up with 32 points and five assists in a four-point win over LSU. Perkins also hit eight 3-pointers in the two games. A year ago, Perkins came off the bench for the Billikens. He played extended minutes but was the team's third option, behind Jordan Goodwin and Hasahn French. With French out for the first two games, Perkins saw his chance to emerge -- and took advantage. I also want to give a special mention to Ohio guard Jason Preston, who had 31 points, six rebounds and eight assists in a two-point loss to Illinois. Preston went toe-to-toe with All-American Ayo Dosunmu and almost willed the Bobcats to a win in Champaign.

35 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It would have been easy to go with Iowa's Luka Garza, but I have a feeling we'll be making plenty of references to him throughout the season. So let's go with Perkins. He had 22 points in 20 minutes in the opener against SIU Edwardsville and followed it up with 32 points and five assists in a four-point win over LSU. Perkins also hit eight 3-pointers in the two games. A year ago, Perkins came off the bench for the Billikens. He played extended minutes but was the team's third option, behind Jordan Goodwin and Hasahn French. With French out for the first two games, Perkins saw his chance to emerge -- and took advantage. I also want to give a special mention to Ohio guard Jason Preston, who had 31 points, six rebounds and eight assists in a two-point loss to Illinois. Preston went toe-to-toe with All-American Ayo Dosunmu and almost willed the Bobcats to a win in Champaign.

-Nice

58 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I didn't notice that Perkins also had 5 assist. That is really strong!

On 11/29/2020 at 8:49 AM, Duff Man said:

Since Javonte Perkins coming out party vs Dayton last January - a span of 16 games or roughly half a season, Perkins is averaging 20.8 PPG .539 FG%, .515 3P%, .794 FT%, (1.848)

image.thumb.png.0c3dffa5793d6a2466cd9fc5f5cdad84.png

My god, he has a legit chance of playing what would be a full season shooting 51% from 3. 

All this after, myself included, wanting him to slow down on the 3 point attempt last year. 

Also, French helps spread the court more than Linssen or Bell.

46 minutes ago, wgstl said:

My god, he has a legit chance of playing what would be a full season shooting 51% from 3. 

All this after, myself included, wanting him to slow down on the 3 point attempt last year. 

Well, Perkins did shoot 20% (11 of 55) from 3 in the first 16 D1 games last year and was 0 for 3 in that Dayton game when he went off for 25, so he was under 20% from 3 at the midpoint of the season before turning into a 52% 3 point shooter the rest of the way.

Not sure if he was adjusting to the speed of D1 or if it was a mechanical issue or if he was had a nagging injury or whatever but it's a stunning transformation.

46 minutes ago, wgstl said:

To be fair, he shot 21.8% from 3 through the first 18 games of last season (and only 18.9% against D1 opponents). His turnaround has been incredible. 

11 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

To be fair, he shot 21.8% from 3 through the first 18 games of last season (and only 18.9% against D1 opponents). His turnaround has been incredible. 

I figured he had the green light bc coaches knew an improvement would happen. Was still frustrating at the time, but thats why im just a fan 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I was in this boat with you and I am loving this giant helping of crow that I'm eating.  Perkins first several games I saw a high volume / low efficiency JUCO shooter who was a defensive liability and going to take away development opportunities / shots from our younger players.  I saw him as an okay depth piece / bench scorer at best.

Jesus was I an idiot / the progress Perkins has made is totally incredible.  As amazing as his progress has been since he arrived at SLU, his progress since HS has been perhaps more incredible.  No offers for a skinny twig out of HS, to dominating in JUCO, to where he is now.  I won't doubt him anymore.

53 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I was in this boat with you and I am loving this giant helping of crow that I'm eating.  Perkins first several games I saw a high volume / low efficiency JUCO shooter who was a defensive liability and going to take away development opportunities / shots from our younger players.  I saw him as an okay depth piece / bench scorer at best.

Jesus was I an idiot / the progress Perkins has made is totally incredible.  As amazing as his progress has been since he arrived at SLU, his progress since HS has been perhaps more incredible.  No offers for a skinny twig out of HS, to dominating in JUCO, to where he is now.  I won't doubt him anymore.

I think we also need to give credit to TF and the staff.  they had faith in JP and that faith had to translate into the confidence JP needed to become the shooter he is now.  I think this is one of the hidden aspects of coaching that they don't get enough credit for.