Billikens.com Server Problems

SluSignGuy

1 hour ago, SluSignGuy said:

Regrettably, there was difficulty in getting a new contract for a server upgrade this week - and we will still be on the old server this weekend.  If you want the details, I can share via PM.  But lets just say I am disappointed in my hosting company, as the delay is not technical but bureaucratic.

Throughout the last week, I have made many tweaks to Billikens.com on the backend to place reduced demand on the server.  Last week during the LSU game, some were able to participate in the GDT.  My hope is that we will not completely crash tonight.  However, overall I regret that we are experiencing any problems at all.

My apologies for this inconvenience, and I thank you for your patience.

Steve

We just appreciate you for all you do 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, slubilliken09 said:

Frustrating to hear this, Steve.

Hypothetically, do you know how much more another hosting service might cost? I'm happy to kick in some more money, and I'm sure we can get some other posters to also contribute more especially if it makes your time commitment to our board easier to manage.

I have looked at other options, and I think there are some alternatives.  The snag is

1) Moving hosts midseason is not desirable

2) Our current web host contract runs until May, so we would lose about 6 months of prepaid hosting costs.  I have bought hosting on a yearly rather than monthly plan in order to reduce costs.  Here, we are paying the price for that as we have reduced flexibility.

Currently, my current hosting company has indicated that my prepaid costs can go towards a new, shorter contract.  However, such an agreement has not been officially approved, which is the hang up we are experiencing. If we continue to have problems without resolution, as we cannot operate on a bare bones system for a full season (especially with increased traffic), I will seek a new host.  But at least for now, I would like not lose the hosting that is already paid for.  But if this is the needed solution, I will go with this path.

Steve

51 minutes ago, almaman said:

seems like it's been working much better since u started telling us about it. we'll see how it runs during game tonight.

This is good to hear.  I have made a lot of backend changes to the server and settings.  I am continuing to try to identify / learn how to make things run faster.  But I am getting into deeper and deeper waters that I may not be qualified to tweak.

Ive gotten a weird saying “a potentially unsafe operation has been detected in my request to this site” a couple of times when trying to post to the board today.  What’s up @SluSignGuy?

I think it has happened when I’ve tried to post Twitter links, but I’ve also been able to post some today so who knows.

863E5EF2-1FAE-4E4D-9A3B-08B61EEA432A.png

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Ive gotten a weird saying “a potentially unsafe operation has been detected in my request to this site” a couple of times when trying to post to the board today.  What’s up @SluSignGuy?

I think it has happened when I’ve tried to post Twitter links, but I’ve also been able to post some today so who knows.

The same thing happened to me the other day, so I posted a screenshot instead.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and the screenshot.

Are you sure you got the warning when posting to the board?  Or trying to access Billikens.com (i.e. the main page)?  Given you were trying to access the site this afternoon, I assume it was the board...(which has me puzzled).  Also were you blocked for a while?  Or just in one instance of trying to load a page?

I ask because the screenshot indicates the blocking is coming from a piece of software call "WordFence" that is giving you the warning.  This is a plugin for WordPress, the content management system that runs the main site (not the forum).  I only installed this software in the last week to try to reduce the number of bots that were making requests on the server, which it has done.  I admit it is not fully clear to me why this plugin would affect things when people were using the message board.

5 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Are you sure you got the warning when posting to the board?  Or trying to access Billikens.com (i.e. the main page)?  Given you were trying to access the site this afternoon, I assume it was the board...(which has me puzzled).  Also were you blocked for a while?  Or just in one instance of trying to load a page?

I ask because the screenshot indicates the blocking is coming from a piece of software call "WordFence" that is giving you the warning.  This is a plugin for WordPress, the content management system that runs the main site (not the forum).  I only installed this software in the last week to try to reduce the number of bots that were making requests on the server, which it has done.  I admit it is not fully clear to me why this plugin would affect things when people were using the message board.

Hey Steve, when it happened to me, I was trying to post a link to a tweet. I was not blocked or anything. I just reloaded the page and it let me right back in. I assumed there was something wrong with the tweet link and just posted a screenshot, but obviously somebody else is having the same problem.

6 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

It happed to me twice today once earlier this afternoon on my PC using Chrome and again this evening using my iPhone with Chrome.  Each time I was trying to make a post to the board.  I believe each time the post had a Twitter link in it.  Right after I clicked "submit" I got that screen and the post didn't go through.

I made several other posts to the board today and some contained Twitter links as well I believe, so I have no idea.

Like @Reinert310, I wasn't blocked or anything.  I could access the board just fine after I re-loaded.  I didn't try to post the same Tweet again I just moved on to something else.  I'm not as smart as Reinert to think to screenshot the Tweet.

Reinert310 likes this

2 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Thanks to you both for this feedback.  If you remember what tweet your were trying to post, it could be helpful.  Since you can't post it to the board, could you email it me at [email protected]?

Steve, this is the tweet I was trying to link, from Stu.

35E9BABD-46A5-49A3-B601-D89546CE19A2.png

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Steve, this is the tweet I was trying to link, from Stu.

35E9BABD-46A5-49A3-B601-D89546CE19A2.png

Thanks.  I am perplexed, as I am not sure what in that tweet would trigger WordFence to block you.  But I will look into it.

If others experience problems, please report them.  It is quite helpful.

55 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Or trying to access Billikens.com (i.e. the main page)?  d.

I do not know about anyone else's issues. This is what I find. When I access Billikens.com, the page I get is the Billikens.com Message Board page. I have no problem with that. I like the fact that you are sorting the different threads by time of last message posted in them. This is useful.

Another thought... Could I just start a twitter account and follow a similar list of tweeters?

If so, who should I follow in addition to: @SaintLouisMBB, @CoachTFord5, @studurando, @ChapleyMedia, @RichChaifetz, @WestPineBills, @HouseRickBuilt, @SLU_Billikens, @SLUnaticsSTL

10 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I really liked the twitter feed that Steve had on the billikens.com home page. I'll be honest that I am no twitter expert. Is there anyway to access this twitter list while the homepage is down? Just wondering. Thanks!

https://twitter.com/Billikensdotcom/lists/billikens-tweets

I just received the new contract from my web host.

Odds are that we will be switching servers this afternoon/evening.  We then may lose some posts from the start of the transfer to the end of the transfer.

Hopefully all of this goes smoothly.

We are now more likely looking at the server being upgraded tomorrow or Friday.

In anticipation of the move, I disabled one forum setting that could mess things up in the transfer.  This likely will make the forum a bit slower.  Apologies for this.

Not going to lie...Thankful for the new server today [as about 200 people are browsing the forum with the NC State Game news].  Also, props to my server company who helped fix a caching issue yesterday, which makes the forum run faster.

The site was slow at times for me tonight.  But I am curious if it crashed for anyone?

I ask because we can upgrade the server again, but it is not free.  And I feel that we are just on the cusp during Game Day Threads for needing it.