• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Also, if St Joes beats Richmond the oath would be:

StJ/Gw winner / UMass, Bona, Rich/VCU

For maximum A10 NCAA bids, I want Bona, VCU, & Richmond to win out until they play us with us meeting / beating Richmond in the title game.  I'm not sure that gets 4 bids, but that is the optimal result to potentially get 4 bids.

St. Joes would be a nightmare for us.  Think about it ..... they have a 6'8" point forward in Jordan Hall.  Does Yuri match up with that?  Or is it Goodwin?  It doesn't seem to fit for Perkins who can't seem to avoid foul trouble lately the way it is.  Then you've got two guys who basically shoot the three in Funk and Brown.  Given our current inability to cover the three. who gets them?  And Funk is essentially their starting 4/5 so in direct correspondence, that means French or Linssen goes out on him?  Not a good matchup for us either.  Brown is then left to Collins and he's 6'5".  Jimerson?  Thatch?  Jacobs?  All the while knowing just how suspect our defense of the three is.  Don't like it.

Then there is Daly.  At 6'5", he's too big for Collins, Thatch, and Jacobs.  Goodwin?  What if Goodwin is on Hall?  Perkins?   Uggh.   And Daly can shoot the three or use his bulk to drive for the basket as he did against us last year.  Plus he's hungry.  Nope --- don't like that at all.

AGB91 likes this

Good points, Taj Mahal 79. When you analyze our losses to UD, VCU, and LaSalle it's because we're letting 3 point shooters crap all over us. And we're only able to answer the 3 with a 2 since Jimerson's and Jacob's shots have gone MIA. I don't consider Thatch and TJ to be snipers, but right now they're the best we got to support Perkins' 3's. 

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

St. Joes would be a nightmare for us.  Think about it ..... they have a 6'8" point forward in Jordan Hall.  Does Yuri match up with that?  Or is it Goodwin?  It doesn't seem to fit for Perkins who can't seem to avoid foul trouble lately the way it is.  Then you've got two guys who basically shoot the three in Funk and Brown.  Given our current inability to cover the three. who gets them?  And Funk is essentially their starting 4/5 so in direct correspondence, that means French or Linssen goes out on him?  Not a good matchup for us either.  Brown is then left to Collins and he's 6'5".  Jimerson?  Thatch?  Jacobs?  All the while knowing just how suspect our defense of the three is.  Don't like it.

Then there is Daly.  At 6'5", he's too big for Collins, Thatch, and Jacobs.  Goodwin?  What if Goodwin is on Hall?  Perkins?   Uggh.   And Daly can shoot the three or use his bulk to drive for the basket as he did against us last year.  Plus he's hungry.  Nope --- don't like that at all.

What team are you talking about?  st Joe from the A10 who is 2-9? A nightmare?

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

What team are you talking about?  st Joe from the A10 who is 2-9? A nightmare?

Clock, st joes with or without daly are vastly different teams.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

This is correct. With Daly, each player morphs into the NBA equivalent of their height. All normal expectations and rationality go out of the window. Even the flappy bird mascot has actually left the ground for substantial amounts of the game. He shoots fireballs down upon opposing players.

Jokes aside, we cannot afford to overlook any team in the A10 at this point.

Billiken Rich likes this

@Clock --- I'm talking matchups, right there in black and white.  Many people on here go in many directions and the matchup scenario comes from a very good poster in 3star.  Yes, the Joeys are 2 and 9 but they've done the nine without Daly.  Since he came back, they are doing the two.  Let's see what happens to them at Richmond tomorrow.  

Everyone on here has lamented our inability to cover those shooting the three ball.  THIS IS WHAT THE JOEYS DO.  Ditto the bench in Tracey, Forest, Longpre Douglas and Bishop.  The Joeys play five out ... meaning no traditional center.  This negates anything Bell could provide defensively and hurts with Linssen some.  If you delete Perkins and Jimerson from our three point shooter lists, our next highest volume shooter is Goodwin at 56.  Then we drop off to Jacobs at 32.  The Joeys have six guys who have launched over 32 threes this year.  Almost 50% of their shots come from three.  What has been our weakness of late?  A three point shooting team against a team that doesn't defend it well.  Damn right I don't like it, record regardless and notwithstanding.

Plus factor in some schmoe having his career night against.  Maybe one of those secondary five I mentioned.  I really don't like it.  

By the way, their staring "center" Funk, has launched 140 threes all by himself.  Jimerson has 88 and Perkins 83.

billikenbill likes this

6 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Yes. 

Daly has been back for the last two games.  Both wins.  Daly has scored 55 points in those two games. 22 of 38 from the field, 8 of 17 from the arc. It really is too bad he got hurt early in the season.  St. Joseph's wouldn't be in the PIG if he had played the entire season.  He has played in only the two A10 games.  He is a special talent.

brianstl likes this

I have to agree to disagree with the Daly love on this board. He’s a good player, but not a great player. He takes a ton of shots, misses a ton of shots, turns the ball over all the time, and it’s not like St. Joe’s was good before he got hurt.

That said, St. Joe’s does scare me in a one game matchup. If they get hot they can beat any team in the A-10 (they just usually don’t get hot). 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

transfer, not declare for the draft!  wow, now that is a big fish.   

Surprising.  I thought no way he'd come out, I still don't think he's developed enough behind guys like Cockburn, Liddell, Garza, Timme, and probably about a dozen others.  I also didn't see him transferring but into today's mercenary NCAA atmosphere, it is not unexpected.  Personally, I wouldn't take him ---- he takes plays off and seems much more me-centric than a team player.  Of course, all of Umass seemed that way to me, this year and in a few years past.

On 2/28/2021 at 7:47 PM, Taj79 said:

@Clock --- I'm talking matchups, right there in black and white.  Many people on here go in many directions and the matchup scenario comes from a very good poster in 3star.  Yes, the Joeys are 2 and 9 but they've done the nine without Daly.  Since he came back, they are doing the two.  Let's see what happens to them at Richmond tomorrow.  

Everyone on here has lamented our inability to cover those shooting the three ball.  THIS IS WHAT THE JOEYS DO.  Ditto the bench in Tracey, Forest, Longpre Douglas and Bishop.  The Joeys play five out ... meaning no traditional center.  This negates anything Bell could provide defensively and hurts with Linssen some.  If you delete Perkins and Jimerson from our three point shooter lists, our next highest volume shooter is Goodwin at 56.  Then we drop off to Jacobs at 32.  The Joeys have six guys who have launched over 32 threes this year.  Almost 50% of their shots come from three.  What has been our weakness of late?  A three point shooting team against a team that doesn't defend it well.  Damn right I don't like it, record regardless and notwithstanding.

Plus factor in some schmoe having his career night against.  Maybe one of those secondary five I mentioned.  I really don't like it.  

By the way, their staring "center" Funk, has launched 140 threes all by himself.  Jimerson has 88 and Perkins 83.

St Joe lost 100 - 66 to UMass despite the play/return of Daly and his 7 points...