Around the A10 20-21 season

brianstl

Richmond has had their game today against Detroit postponed and Fordham's against Pitino's Iona team has been canceled.  That leaves us with GW @ Navy (no line), URI v. ASU (ASU -8), High Point @ Davidson (no line)and VCU v. Utah St. (USU -4). 

We should get a decent idea how good URI and VCU are today.  Wins for either would be good for the conference.  I think both VCU and URI could be much better than predicted, especially URI.  URI is all going depend on getting all the new pieces to fit together.  They have talent.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice win by VCU over a solid Utah State team last night.  The Aggies are picked 3rd in the Mountain West. Stockard starts, plays only 8 min, gathering 2 points and 3 fouls in his minutes. Bones was Nails, going for 23, 5 of 10 from the Arc.  VCU completely locked down Utah State in the last 10 minutes of the game.  Add this win to Rhody's narrow lost against a top 20 team (with Russell on the bench in crunch time due to DQ on PF), and perhaps the A10 has a solid mid tier.  Makhi Mitchell demonstrated that French is not the worst FT shooter in the A10.  He had trouble hitting the backboard. He hit the bottom of the backboard on one attempt.

Big tests today for VCU against 15th ranked West VA, and Rhode Island, against BC who put up a great fight against Villanova, leading by 8 with 13 to go, but fell to the Wildcats.

At least 3 of our lost match ups against good teams (on original schedule) BC, Penniville and S D St looked pretty good yesterday.  I was especially impressed with S D St's big win over UCLA and BC and Memphis both look like they will be tough when we play them next year

Anybody know why Jermaine Harris Didn't see the court for URI yesterday?  I admit to following him because he has been the most unproductive four star recruit ever so I'm curious.  Also, just want to point out that the Mitchellbtwins we're relative opening night busts as well.

For anyone looking for some Thanksgiving A10 action:

George Mason-Queens NC-1:00 Central ESPN3

LaSalle-St. Johns-1:00 Central FS1

VCU-West Virginia-1:30 Central ESPN

St. Joe’s-Auburn-3:30 Central FS1

Rhodey-BC-6:00 Central ESPN

Side Note-Not A10 action, but if anybody didn’t already know, SIUE-LSU 6:00 Central ESPN+

5 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Anybody know why Jermaine Harris Didn't see the court for URI yesterday?  I admit to following him because he has been the most unproductive four star recruit ever so I'm curious.  Also, just want to point out that the Mitchellbtwins we're relative opening night busts as well.

Somebodies must have played well. ASU ranked 18 and they hung with them. I realize the Taj Mahal 79 eye test is a tough nut to pass, but who else do they have that played well besides Phats? 

Someone asked about who was playing well for URI.  Two guys, Shepard and Fatts, altho we have shown we can stop Fatts.  The twins from Maryland are no way near our bigs.  French will eat them up  (and shoot FT's better).

Watching lots of games today and I am amazed at the misuse of masks.  Players and coaches pulling them down when they are talking to refs or players and when finished, pulling the mask back up. 

Hey it's early sports fans but I did digest most of the A10 games today.  One or two does not a season make but what I saw .....

VCU - still looking for skill players who can put the ball in the basket.  Stockard hasn't shown much but if you expected him to, you're wrong.  Bacon-Medley has shown to be a MEAC- level player.  Bones is inconsistent but he is all they have along with Vince Williams.

Rhode Island - goes as Fatts goes.  None of the transfers looks good so far and the Mitchell twins are proving to be more hype than substance. I can see why no love was lost when they left UMd.  Ishmael Leggett is a nice looking freshman however.  

La Salle -  looks typical.  Their starters did very little except for Christian Ray.  He had 12 while the other four tallied 13 total.  Hikim is still a little wild at the point and the Indiana transfer Moore might get better as the season progresses.  He looked like a possible defender/rim protector but little more.

St. Joe's impressed but Auburn is steps below the Auburn of old.  Gonzaga will kill them.  Very little skill but a lot of athleticism.  Funk went wild because Auburn's bigs defended the dribble/drive and left him outside the arc.  Apparently they didn't know.  Foster looked decent and Bishop hit a few threes so they alone will make the Joeys better.  That was obvious late as all Daly did was drive the lane late to bully his way to the rim or foul line.  The Joeys will play five out with Funk and Longpre as shooters.  The Joeys might surprise but they don't rebound or defend well.  Like Harris at URI, Myles Douglas who started last year also Didn't make an appearance.  The other transfer, Jack Forrest, is another distance shooter.  Freshman Jordan Hall started and looked a little like DeAndre Bembry at first.  But all he did was foul out in 20 minutes or so.

Out of today, I'd say the Joeys are potential climbers.  But it IS early.

13 minutes ago, BuiltFordBills said:

Davidson looking pretty good against Texas right now, would be another great win for the A-10.  Love these day games as a nice distraction from work, might have to mute Bill Walton though.....

I was going to check out the game until you mentioned Bill Walton.  I think he is the absolute worst announcer on college basketball.  I thought motor mouth stuck with the west coast schools, but maybe he is moving east which can't be good for college basketball.