Around the A10 20-21 season

brianstl

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dyton handled Mason last night 74 to 65.  Never really challenged.  Crutcher with 21; Watson with 20.

I saw Mitchell get injured against Davidson late.  I would guess either a collarbone fracture on the lft shoulder or a shoulder separation.

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This is what every conf should race to do.  Pick somewhere in Indy so whoever gets in can stay there the week before. 

This seems like a huge NCAA tournament advantage for Big Ten teams given that Lucas Oil will be used for all Elite Eight, Final Four, and NCAA championship games as well as some 1st & 2nd round games.  Really nice work by the Big Ten nabbing that advantage.

I wonder if others will scramble to move their tournaments to Banker's Life or Hinkle to get a small advantage.

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This seems like a huge NCAA tournament advantage for Big Ten teams given that Lucas Oil will be used for all Elite Eight, Final Four, and NCAA championship games as well as some 1st & 2nd round games.  Really nice work by the Big Ten nabbing that advantage.

I wonder if others will scramble to move their tournaments to Banker's Life or Hinkle to get a small advantage.

and more importantly help minimize an chance of teams missing the tourney due to positive cases.  

14 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

The Big East would be a logical conference to move to Hinkle, but they seem intent on playing in Madison Square Garden, in front of no fans.  That seems a little off base to me.  They would have to have all potential NCAA teams stay in NY until Selection Sunday or Monday and then fly into Indy. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

The Big East would be a logical conference to move to Hinkle, but they seem intent on playing in Madison Square Garden, in front of no fans.  That seems a little off base to me.  They would have to have all potential NCAA teams stay in NY until Selection Sunday or Monday and then fly into Indy. 

The East Coast originals still have a lot of sway in the Big East, and the Big East does not want to cede its traditional hold on MSG, with the ACC and Big Ten knocking on the door.

5 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Who do we hope wins in the VCU-Dayton matchup from potential league standings and NET rankings? do we hope VCU stays hot? or do we hope Dayton wins to make the loss look better?

Good question.  I would think at this point the dayton loss is a lost cause, but has a chance to be a Q1/likely Q2 game for us next time around.  And VCU will likely be a Q1 for us regardless of their outcome today.

Plus I doubt we get 3 bids, so if VCU is out, gives us one extra spot to make it. 

So, dayton?

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Good question.  I would think at this point the dayton loss is a lost cause, but has a chance to be a Q1/likely Q2 game for us next time around.  And VCU will likely be a Q1 for us regardless of their outcome today.

Plus I doubt we get 3 bids, so if VCU is out, gives us one extra spot to make it. 

So, dayton?

I just sat there thinking about it earlier today and came up with 5 plus reasons for each. lol. just made me realize nothing matters if we don't win ball games. Excited for Rhody tomorrow. 

wgstl likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

So, dayton?

If the regular season ends with 3 teams in the top 40, why would you doubt it?  Especially if one of those three teams wins the conference tournament and ends up in the top 25.

If we finished 39 or 40 did not win conf tourney and was 4th place in the A10 but Duke was 45 and it came down to Duke or us.   I wouldnt bet on the billikens

dennis_w likes this

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

If we finished 39 or 40 did not win conf tourney and was 4th place in the A10 but Duke was 45 and it came down to Duke or us.   I wouldnt bet on the billikens

We're looking at a season where Duke and Kentucky aren't even sniffing the top 60.  Kansas is safely in.  UNC is figuring it out. There aren't any bluebloods to protect.

Littlebill likes this

14 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

If the regular season ends with 3 teams in the top 40, why would you doubt it?  Especially if one of those three teams wins the conference tournament and ends up in the top 25.

I doubt we get 3 bids because I think VCU has a few losses coming up.  I dont think they make it through: H - Bonnies, @ Richmond, H- SLU, @ Davidson, and @UD (3rd time) with out a few losses. I don't think the committee will like a vcu team that losses at min 2 more games.  Also, if they beat the Bonnies Friday, It will put the bonnies out of the top 40 with just just one win to hang their hat on, vcu.   On top of this, you have SLU on the outside(looking in) Who will likely have to beat VCU on the road to get an at large(maybe not, tbd).  If they also beat VCU then, Id be shocked if VCU ends up in the 30's, like the bonnies.  We'll see, I just have a feeling the committee will take more teams who have played in tougher conf (bc of covid), and the A10 will end up with no team in the top 35.

Last night, VCU took down the Flyers in Dayton and the Bonnies handled La Salle in Olean.

At Dayton, Jalen Crutcher had another off night.  He shot just 3 for 11 with 1 out of 5 from three.  He did add 8 assists.  Ibi Watson was the man going for 20 and Tishymanga added 14 with Elijah Weaver adding ten.  VCU took the lead just before half and maintained it for the entire second half.  Bones Hyland let the game come to him and finished with 19 but tyhe Rams finally got a balanced attack with Vince Williams hitting threes (19  overall) and Stockard and Baldwin adding 10 each.  In addition, Jhamir Watkins added another 8 off the bench.  VCU shot an uncharacteristic 52% from 3 (12 of 23) to keep the Flyers at bay.  While winning by 9, 76 to 67, VCU was never really threatened down  the stretch.  Hyland covered Crutcher the entire night and once again, VCU's overall athleticism made it tough for Dayton to counter outside of the three guys mentioned.  Amzil appears to be running out of gas and the bench remains relatively weak.  At this point, unlike wgstl above, I see VCU as the real power/challenger in the A10 to us.  No Corey Douglas in this one but i don't know what happened to him.  Once again, you shut down Crutcher and Dayton is severely shorthanded.  Of course, shutting down Crutcher is a tough task.  This was an additional scheduled game as the A10 tries to get teams still playing games on their record.  VCU will go back to Dayton on March 3 before the A10 tournament starts.

The Bonnies ran away from La Salle then held on to win 86 to 73.  La Salle shot itself in the foot early, missing a lot of threes in the middle part of the gamer.  Jack Clark went 3 for 16 and all thre emakes were from 3 where he ended up going 3 for 11.  The other Billiken beater, David beatty, went 2 of 6 from deep and finished with 12.  La Salle's only other consistent scorer was Brickus with 13.  As usuall, the Bonnies got absolutley nothing (Vasquez for 6) from their bench.  But all five starters scored in double figures.  Adaway (20) Lofton (18) Osunniyi (17), Holmes (15) are tough to beat when they are that balanced.   Welch hit two three pointers late to finish his night with 10.  But once again, the Bonnies beat a low- to middling-A10 team to improve their record to 8 and 2 in conference.  One cannot discount the tremendous confidence the Bonnies have given who they have played.  

Of interest in all this, the Bonnies go to VCU on 2/12.  The game is on ESPN2 at 7 EST.  I see VCU out for sweet revenge given what the Bonnies did to them second half in Olean recently.  

https://www.a10talk.com/spiders-schedule-changes/

This is kind of weird, but in retrospect, maybe something the Bills should have considered coming off of the pause. 

But I'm equally not sure this is a proper game, D3, to schedule, when so many of the Spiders games have been postponed. Is the A10 trying to revive Richmond's season?

The more I look at KenPom and other rating sites, the more concerns I have about our defense. 54th in D-Efficiency is nothing special. I think they have been solid against teams who want to go inside, but this defense cannot guard the perimeter. 

I think this team is better than 52/54 offense and defense, but time could be a factor.