Around the A10 20-21 season

brianstl

From the Duquesne board:

Dambrot on Austin: "Mace's situation is probably a bit different because he's not quit, he's taking some personal time. He's not going to transfer as far as I know unless something has changed in the last 24 hours."

Dambrot on Carry possibly returning: "I hope he would, but I don't know. Obviously he wasn't happy but neither was I. It's hard to be happy when you don't win and don't play great."

Dambrot on the situation as a whole: "These kids have a right to be unhappy, have a right to go somewhere else and have a right make their own decisions. The NCAA has made it really easy on them quite frankly."   

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing of notes yesterday in three games —— Richmond handled Mason; Umass destroyed La Salle and depleted Duquesne hung on to beat Fordham.  

Rhodey handled VCU in Richmond quite easily.  Problem for VCU remains that only Bones Hyland is a consistent scorer.  This is really a head scratcher for me but it does show that on any given night ..... you going to again have to earn every win out there.  Hopefully, if we ever get back, we come back we’ll and ready.  If our first game back is at Umass, that will be extremely tough.  Umass doesn’t really defend but Mitchell is a true load.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Let's not get Carried away, now!  (I always thought "carry" was an unfortunate name for a basketball player [better for a football player] — especially with a first name of "Sincere"!  C'mon ref!  He carried that ball, sincerely!)

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Let's not get Carried away, now!  (I always thought "carry" was an unfortunate name for a basketball player [better for a football player] — especially with a first name of "Sincere"!  C'mon ref!  He carried that ball, sincerely!)

No such thing as carry in today’s basketball. 

almaman likes this

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

At this point, the scheduled dates are just placeholders. Going forward, you'll see a lot more teams who will decide to play because their respective opponents are in time out.

SEC went crazy doing this the last few weeks. You start playing teams with 1-2 day notice. 

On 1/11/2021 at 1:17 PM, HoosierPal said:

The amazing Dambrot has had two impact players leave in recent history - Williams and now Carry. What is going on there?

26 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

I am a major cynic, but I still think as we get closer to the Tournament, these protocols are going out the window. Teams will avoid testing as much as they can. 

The only incentive to do this would be if #1 teams need to get to the requisite 13(?) games required to play in the NCAA tournament or #2 they are on the bubble and need a good win to boost their resume.  I'd guess that teams that are firmly in the tournament will be more cautious as the tournament gets closer because there will certainly be testing at the NCAA tournament and they don't want to risk an outbreak before they enter the NCAA bubble.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2021/01/12/watch-duquesne-coach-keith-dambrot-on-moving-on-from-transfers-facing-dayton-more/

If you have nothing else to do, this 24 minute video of Dambrot is interesting.

Most of our guys have already been positive for COVID, so that is behind us.  They are still working on conditioning.

On Austin, 'I understand and support his decision'  He will be back.  He lost his sister a year ago.

Norman not happy with his role.  He wanted more responsibility.

Carry - he is just unhappy.  It wasn't playing time or role.  He had the keys to the car.  He was either unhappy with the team, the coach, or something else, or he was just unhappy.  Dambrot expects him to end up in the MAC (no bright lights).

When asked how Hughes and Weathers are reacting to these departures, he said they have already moved on.

Hughes and Weathers are battling to get back into shape.  Weathers mother was sick and he was with her all spring and summer not working out.  

On 1/10/2021 at 10:34 AM, Taj79 said:

Nothing of notes yesterday in three games —— Richmond handled Mason; Umass destroyed La Salle and depleted Duquesne hung on to beat Fordham.  

Rhodey handled VCU in Richmond quite easily.  Problem for VCU remains that only Bones Hyland is a consistent scorer.  This is really a head scratcher for me but it does show that on any given night ..... you going to again have to earn every win out there.  Hopefully, if we ever get back, we come back we’ll and ready.  If our first game back is at Umass, that will be extremely tough.  Umass doesn’t really defend but Mitchell is a true load.

VCU has some nice young players.  But anytime anyone gets going offensively Hyland will come down and start chucking up shots.  

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

It is weird. P5 programs would love that guy. Veteran PG and more than capable. Doesn't make sense that he'd transfer down (conference-wise at least)

It does if there are personal issues that are pulling him back home.  Per Dambrot's comments, this doesn't sound like a basketball issue.