Around the A10 20-21 season

brianstl

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dayton's message board is an ugly place.  Claiming the players don't care.  Turning on Crutcher, a guy who will be their all-time assists leader.  Comparing Anthony Grant, a coach who just gave them their greatest team in 50 years, to Brian Gregory. 

Half of their team is injured.  It's not Crutcher's fault that he is a Kevin Lisch caliber talent, which is still pretty good.  They think he should be able to carry a skeleton crew a la Tim Hardaway.  

Littlebill likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Davidson wins 61 to 48.  Both teams shot 30% or less.  Brutal.

Marcus Weathers was a beast last year but he's put on weight, it appears, and not in a good way. No way they're a top 4 team this year. And let's face it, Dayton may win some close games but they're not good. 

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Dayton's message board is an ugly place.  Claiming the players don't care.  Turning on Crutcher, a guy who will be their all-time assists leader.  Comparing Anthony Grant, a coach who just gave them their greatest team in 50 years, to Brian Gregory. 

Half of their team is injured.  It's not Crutcher's fault that he is a Kevin Lisch caliber talent, which is still pretty good.  They think he should be able to carry a skeleton crew a la Tim Hardaway.  

Crutcher is having a great year. He had a great year last year. He's really good, and has a chance to be first-team all-A10 again. With all due respect to Kevin Lisch, I think Crutcher is a definitively better player. Any Dayton fan who is turning on him is, in my opinion, a moron.

I generally think Dayton being good is good for the A-10 and probably good for SLU. But this year they're not good enough to be a resume booster for us so I'm not sure it really matters. I think Grant deserves a little criticism for not adding more help the last two seasons, but they have very strong recruiting classes lined and should be back in the mix soon.

I am looking forward to stomping them in both matches of this year's Arch Baron Cup. 

7 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Marcus Weathers was a beast last year but he's put on weight, it appears, and not in a good way. No way they're a top 4 team this year.

Duquesne was playing their 3rd game in 4 days, after being off for a month.  Think they might have had tired legs?

3 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Yeah, all youse guys who want to run them out of the league, (you know who you are), I bet you're singing a different tune now!

I mean, this is a good reason why they shouldn’t be in the league. Dayton is nowhere near postseason quality, but this loss alone would be enough to keep an iffy team out of the 68

I haven't posted here in a few years, but I've been lurking. To piggyback on what Taj said about VCU's Jamir Watkins: I'm extremely excited about him.

I watched a bunch of his high school and AAU games, and thought he had the potential to be a day 1 starter beside Ace Baldwin (who has started at PG since day 1). He competed with a bunch of 4 and 5 star kids. He's only getting better every game, and has all the tools to be a star. Per minutes played, he's the second most efficient player on the team. He's so calm, smooth, yet very aggressive. He's emerged as a very reliable 3-point shooter (along with Vince Williams). Here's a quick highlight video of Jamir's senior season last year: 

I'm so excited about this VCU team, but especially the team chemistry and all the freshmen and sophomores! Unlimited ceilings for everyone, and they're going to surprise a lot of folks this season. 

HoosierPal likes this

Agree on Weathers looking, how shall we say, fat.  And also agree on Duquesne playing a third game in four days.  Also add in that game was back at crosstown La Roche University because of the Palumbo delays and the note the announcers made that Duquesne had not been in the building since four non-conference tilts there in 2019.  Also according to the game announcers, Duquesne didn't even do a shoot around at La Roche prior to the game.  Who's fault is that?  They shot 29/29/57 for the game.  Clang, clang, clang.  As noted Lamar Norman Jr. entered the transfer portal.  No real loss there.  Sincere Carry looks nothing like Freshman Sincere Carry.  I expect he'll transfer too for next year.  He shot 3-for-7 with one of three from deep.  Missed all four FTs.  Something is up with Michael Hughes.  Limited offensively to begin with, three of hsi four shots came from three.  Dunn-Martin 2 for 8 overall making one of five from three.  Okani and Kelly continue to fade with two points in 26 minutes.  Ryan Murphy better but not good.  Davidson is Davidson and will bore you with non-spectacular basketball.  It's like a mandatory training video brand of basketball and you must watch until the end to get credit for the course.  Mennenga and Brajkovic remain earthbound Euro-bigs.  Sadly, they haven't shown much above bench stiffs Bates Jones, Nelson Boachie-Yiadom or David Kristensen.  Grant Huffman and Mike Smith aren't much better than the cardboard cutouts in the stands.  Huffman looks like he's 12.  Davidson remains Lee, Grady and Collins.  But in a cold, unfamiliar gym, they were much better in terms of shooting.  Just that McKillop's team looks more disciplined and runs scheme better than most.  Carter Collin two threes but both were under two minutes with the shot clock expiring and Duquesne in desperation mode.  Davidson committed ten team fouls the whole game.  Not to be outdone, Duquesne committed 8.  And its not like the refs swallowed them ---- it was as boring a game as possible.

Dayton appears to be living off press clippings.  There just seems to be no interest and no passion on the Dayton roster.  Chatman and Blakeney remain out and Cohill has been down all year but I would not say HALF their team is injured.  Chase Johnson quit.  Amzil is a lucky find resting near godsend status.  USC transfer Weaver was back in the lineup.  Ibi Watson looks totally disinterested and he and Amzil were constantly talking at each other.  Not jawing; but still in discord.  Crutcher is good, but he can't and won't carry any team.  Watson was 3 of 8 and Crutcher was 5 of 10; combined they missed all seven of their threes.  Tshimanga can't shoot; Brea can't as a freshman; which leaves Amzil three games into his college career.  Nwojeki shows some game; Sissoko not so much.    Fordham wanted it more.  First win over Dayton in 15 years.  Neubauer tried to give it away.  He kept Soriano out there with two fouls in the first half and he got his third.  Then he put him back in with less that 2 to go in the half and he got his fourth.  He only had Soriana and Eyisi to counter Dayton's bigs.  Ivan Raut played injured for 10 minutes.  Neubauer was out of timeouts with ten minutes to go.  I guess he wanted a slow-down, walk it up game.  There was almost a bench-clearing brawl in warmups ... Crutcher versus Kyle Rose a sophomore from Maryland.  Austin made a game-winning three, through very good defense, with 18 ticks to go.  After a timeout, Dayton inbounded to 'Clutcher' who for some reason gave it to Watson, who didn't get the baseline jumper off in time.  As noted, Grant brought the team out at halftime to run through the offense and practice ---- they still didn't get it right in the second half.  

My opinion of the league has changed some .... Richmond is not as good as they could have been with Sherrod.  Still no bench.  VCU is getting a lot of love right now, but they are young and while shooting well now, we'll have to see.  Davidson is Davidson ---- boring, no excitement basketball for a coach who has won 600 college games now.  And the Bonnies can self-implode due to lack of offensive options on every night.  Just a bad time for us to go down under COVID quarantines --- hopefully we don't lose stride.  But again, every night will be a battle and we can't afford to take things likely like Dayton appeared to do yesterday.

St. Joes at the Bonnies (-12.5) at 4/3 today.  Umass (-5) at Geedubya at 6/5.  Rhodey at Richmond (-4) at 6/5.  VCU (-6.5) at Mason at 7/6.  All games ESPN+ with Rhodey/Richmond on CBSSN.

The Bonnie's had some impressive stats today.  27 assists on 32 made field goals (Lofton with 11 A).  Adaway 11 of 12 from the field.  Holmes 8 of 12 from the arc.  Adaway and Holmes by themselves outscored St. Joe 62 to 57.  Osunniyi with 12 boards and 3 blocks.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Pretty neat graphic done by SBUnfurled.  Anyone in Billiken nation savy enough to try this for the Bills?

That is cool.  So much information within a this graphic and a lot of neat things that it shows you.  For example, you can really see where SBU had a lag in scoring during the 1st half when Shaw & Roberts were on the floor instead of Adaway & Osunniyi.  

I don't think I understand what is going on with the +/-.  How do guys have decimals in their +/-?  Lofton played all 40 minute of a game they won by 26, but his +/- is -2.2?

Edit: I looked into the replies on the Tweet.  That is not pure +/-, but rather Box +/- from the college basketball reference box score.  https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm2.html

Edited by RUBillsFan
HoosierPal likes this

Davidson Dayton last night was the Grady vs. Cruthcher show.  Crutcher with a new career high of 29, Grady with 27.  Game went to OT on a Grady tying three with about 4 ticks left.  The key to the game was Dayton shutting Davidson leading scorer Lee out ---- averaging like 17 ppg he scored NOTHING.  Watson added 24 for Dayton and Elijah Weaver looked very nice with 11.  New kid Amzil added 12 and that's about it .... 76 of 89 points from four guys.  Tshimanga might have scored all six of hi sin a row early in the game  but was then history.  Sissoko is a walking foul machine waiting to happen.  brea is lost but Nwokeji might be good in the future.  If Grant's two four-star recruits are halfway decent, the Flyers will be back pretty well next year.  This is likely the trend in the A10 ..... lose some you shouldn't (Fordham) beat sothers you aren't expected to (Davidson).  Cannibalism at it's best.

29 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Sincere carry steps away from the dukes team, yikes 

Do his notices end with;         Sincerely, 

Sincere Carry  ?   

sorry gallows humor