Around the A10 20-21 season

brianstl

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Compton said:

For some context, Coppin State (1-8, ranked #334 by Kenpom) lost to GW by 16 in DC. Fordham just lost to GW by 24 at home

Don't get me wrong - Fordham sucks.  However, they hadn't played a game in over 9 months.  I'll cut them a little slack before declaring them as one of the absolute worst teams in D1.

5 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Don't get me wrong - Fordham sucks.  However, they hadn't played a game in over 9 months.  I'll cut them a little slack before declaring them as one of the absolute worst teams in D1.

That's perfectly decent and reasonable of you.

Based on today's performance I think they're on track to win less than 2 game, continuing Jeff Neubauer's streak of being worse every year. 

Billiken Rich likes this

Blake Francis hits a dagger three with :01 on the shotclock to extend the lead to 78-72 with :27 to go. Spiders win 80-74.

Mason comes back in double OT to beat UMass 93-92.

3 hours ago, billikenbill said:

LaSalle scores with :03 to go to take a 67-65 lead over Dayton... and down go the Flyers!!

That's a shame. A strong Dayton team is (was?) good for the A10. SMU - Dayton's only loss before tonight - is looking increasingly solid at 6-0 with a 2-0 start in conference play and got their first AP Top 25 vote on Monday. Losing to LaSalle at home is a big step back for the Flyers. 

Richmond loses Crabtree for 10 weeks with a fractured foot.  Gustavson was also absent last night with a groin issue, but the Spiders prevailed at Davidson.

Dayton found their replacement for Johnson.  Freshman Amzil, with 2 practices, scored 22 with 7 boards.  He did look lost on defense.  R.J. Blakney and Elijah Weaver were out with injuries suffered in practice.  Dayton lost by 2.

Mason goes to Amherst and takes down UMass in double OT, with Greene playing only 5 minutes.  Rumor from the GMU board is that he is in Paulson's doghouse.  And is Coach McCall's seat getting warm?  Too much talent up there to be 2-3.

9 hours ago, Compton said:

That's a shame. A strong Dayton team is (was?) good for the A10. SMU - Dayton's only loss before tonight - is looking increasingly solid at 6-0 with a 2-0 start in conference play and got their first AP Top 25 vote on Monday. Losing to LaSalle at home is a big step back for the Flyers. 

Dayton has been gutting out close victories with defense but it just wasn't there last night.  For their sake, they need transfer Elijah Weaver to get healthy as soon as possible.  Rodney Chatman isn't providing the scoring many Flyer fans were expecting.  And I think Crutcher and Ibi Watson have already maxed out what could be reasonably expected from them offensively.

A10 watching now that the Bills  are down .....

Missed VCU and the Joeys as well as Geedubya and Fordham.  The Joeys jumped off to a 10 poitn lead but finished the afternoon with 25 turnovers.  Ryan Daly did not play and was on the sidelines with his left thumb in a cast due to an injury suffered against Tennessee.  There is no schedule for his return right now.  Greg Foster Jr., supposed stud transfer from Gonzaga was 1-for-7 with 0 for 4 from three and no assists.  Four-star point guard?  Keep an eye on Jamir Watkins for VCU.  Looks like a real nice freshman forward.

Battle, Bishop and Seymour scored 58 of Geedubya's 71 points.  Fordham is just bad as usual.

The Bonnies are another team who appears to be who we thought they were.  They have absolutely no offense that I can see.  Their 'shooter' remains Dom Welch and he had another bad night at 2-for-9 with both baskets from deep where he was 2 of 7.  Lofton was nothing to write home about and while Osunniyi looks better offensively, he is still foul-prone as he goes for blocks ala Wilson at Mason and Hughes at Duquesne.  He makes dunks and putbacks, that is all.  Schmidt is going to do it on boring offense with tough defense all predicated on funnelign shooters into Osunniyi ---- same old Bonaventure.  Rhode Island remains a mess in my book.  Antwan Walker and Jeremy Shepperd carried Rhodey but Fatts still looks really lost out there.  Markhel Mitchell is an odyssey at the foul ine and there doesn't appear to be anyone competent and consistent on the offensive end.  Osunniyi fouled out with 3:47 to go and the Bonnies down 52 to 49 and the Bonnies looked absolutely lost on offense.  Welch made on of his two three pointers in the closing run but once Osun left, the game was over.

How Umass blew that game is unbelievable to me.  They were up about five or six in both regulation and overtime and lost not only those leads but the game.  The win goes to Jamal Hartwerll Ii who got red hot from three late in regulation and in overtime.  Jordan Miller carried the Pats off suspension but missed 5 of 15 foul shots or it would have ended sooner.  Javon Greene got five total minutes so what he has done is an unknown.  Five guys fouled out for Mason including king hacker AJ Wilson.  I still don't find Tre Mitchell all that spectacular but he did a decent job endign with 23 despite getting doubled all night.  He is just not exciting in my book.  He does lots of things well, just nothing spectacular.  Near the end, he appeared disgusted for whatever reason and it appeared he and TJ Weeks don't really take coaching or instruction well.  Umass plays helter skelter to speed things up but their overall defense is a sieve.  My guess is McCall is just trying to outscore the opposition. 

My final view was Dayton and La Salle.  La Salle snapped a 22-year losing streak in Dayton.  They also overcame a 14 point deficit (and an early 9% shooting percentage) that to me was due to Dayton's inability to protect the ball and ultimately to shoot and score against a zone defense.  This new guy, Mustapha Amzil is okay ---- he looks a lot like KC Hankton ---- and I think a lot of his scoring was attributable to La Salle not knowing who he is.  He's nothing spectacular either and won't carry Dayton any further than Chase Johnson would have.  With Johnson quitting basketball again, Amzil just fills that gap on an already weak front line.  Chatman really has problems scoring and Ibi Watson had a horrid night shooting 3 for 10 and zippo on three treys.  Jalen Crutcher AIN'T that good in that he can carry this team night in and night out.  La Salle just got solid efforts from about five guys all getting about a dozen points each and pulled it out.  They got the ball tied with 29.5 second to go and 27 seconds on the shot clock.  Their game winning shot went through the net as the shot clock expired.  Dayton took its last timeout as the refs looked to put time back on the clock.  They could not --- La Salle played it perfectly.  The inbound was set up to go to Crutcher (yeah, like who knew that would be the plan) and La Salle deflected and stole the inbound.  Buh-bye Dayton.  

Richmond went into Davidson and won but I didn't catch any of that.  All I had for COVID releif in 2021 was the Bills.  Looks like that's on hold for a while.

10 hours ago, Compton said:

I think last night shows how the home court advantage becomes simply a home rims advantage with an absence of fans.

I am preparing for every team to lose a couple or more games to inferior teams. There are just too many variables this season to expect normal trends to continue.

Hopefully the Bills can even that out with some road wins we might've dropped with a road crowd present.

Here’s praying no one associated with the team is seriously affected by this plague. French said it laid him up for 5 weeks. Also, since the women’s team can’t seem to bounce back, and now the men’s team has it, it makes you wonder if the Fetz doesn’t need to be doused in Lysol and Clorox. 

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Here’s praying no one associated with the team is seriously affected by this plague. French said it laid him up for 5 weeks. Also, since the women’s team can’t seem to bounce back, and now the men’s team has it, it makes you wonder if the Fetz doesn’t need to be doused in Lysol and Clorox. 

This will be the new Billiken Club fundraiser. 

43 minutes ago, slu72 said:

French's game has seemed off this season. I'm wondering how much his physical abilities are continuing to be chronically affected by Covid....

24 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

French's game has seemed off this season. I'm wondering how much his physical abilities are continuing to be chronically affected by Covid....

I disagree. I think he's been great these last few games. I think he's just seeing less of the ball due to Perkins and Jimerson getting more touches

slufanskip likes this