Around the A10 20-21 season

brianstl

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

St. Joseph has played, and lost to, Auburn, Kansas, Villanova, now Tennessee and Drexel.  I imagine they are glad their OOC schedule is over.

And that's not even including the games they had to miss - Bradley (6-2) and Temple (1-0). They were able to reschedule Villanova.

HoosierPal likes this

Watched the UT-St. Joseph game last night. Vols have too many athletes for St. Joe's to compete. Really like the 5 Star Frosh players but they also picked up a couple new transfers. It was their second game over the century mark in a row. They'll try for 3 in a row before they head to a SEC meeting with Missouri.

Interesting to look at KenPom now that the numbers are starting to balance out. League has clear tiers: Tier 1 is SLU, at #32, with a bunch of other teams huddled around 60 (VCU, Richmond Dayton) and four more inside the top 100 (Davidson, Bonnies, URI, Duquesne). 

Richmond is what the eye test has always told us: a good, veteran offensive team (#35) without the depth or personnel to be strong defensively (#89). I wouldn't be surprised if they're top 20 on offense before the season ends, although it's hard to see them having any kind of success with Gilyard or Golden off the floor. Never has a team benefitted more from the mirage of a big win than Richmond in that win over generationally awful Kentucky team. 

I never understood why so many people were downplaying the loss of Sherod for Richmond. Golden, Francis, and Gilyard are better but he's their senior captain and no team in the conference now has a greater drop-off after the starting five. Any small doubts I had about whether SLU would end up being the better team were erased when he went down. But people stayed high on them, which was surprising to me.

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I never understood why so many people were downplaying the loss of Sherod for Richmond. Golden, Francis, and Gilyard are better but he's their senior captain and no team in the conference now has a greater drop-off after the starting five. Any small doubts I had about whether SLU would end up being the better team were erased when he went down. But people stayed high on them, which was surprising to me.

East Coast bias.  Same reason that those Charlie Brown, Lamarr Kimble St. Joseph teams were ranked highly in the preseason despite the fact that they were injury-riddled and played weak defense.

Had my first real long look at Mason against Towson yesterday.  Yikes!  What a Chinese fire drill!  AJ Wilson was never that good, a decent shot blocker with the propensity to foul but never an offensive force   outside a putback of two.  Yesterday?  A paltry 2-for-14 from the floor including one of three treys.  Must think he's preppign for some next level of some kind.  Two official blocks with four fouls.  Typical.  Mason suspended starter Jordan Miller and two key reserves for the game and were shorthanded but Towson never really took advantage of much yet still only lost at Mason by 5.  Javon Greene remains the Justin Kier clone and there was a stretch where Josh Oduro scored nine in a row then Jamal Hartwell Ii scored 9 of 12.  Both runs were in the second half and gave the Patriots enough room to breathe and win.  The Patriots are who we thought they were as well.

Mason 'improved' to 4 and 1 Howard, VMI and Towson are all part of the glut of college teams in the New York City to Richmond corridor and all are fairly pretty bad year to year.  Mason will play and likely beat Norfolk State next to go to five and one but then opens at Umass, at Dayton and hosts VCU and Richmond out of the A10 gate.  I'd say an 0 and 4 start is looming.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Had my first real long look at Mason against Towson yesterday.  Yikes!  What a Chinese fire drill!  AJ Wilson was never that good, a decent shot blocker with the propensity to foul but never an offensive force   outside a putback of two.  Yesterday?  A paltry 2-for-14 from the floor including one of three treys.  Must think he's preppign for some next level of some kind.  Two official blocks with four fouls.  Typical.  Mason suspended starter Jordan Miller and two key reserves for the game and were shorthanded but Towson never really took advantage of much yet still only lost at Mason by 5.  Javon Greene remains the Justin Kier clone and there was a stretch where Josh Oduro scored nine in a row then Jamal Hartwell Ii scored 9 of 12.  Both runs were in the second half and gave the Patriots enough room to breathe and win.  The Patriots are who we thought they were as well.

Mason 'improved' to 4 and 1 Howard, VMI and Towson are all part of the glut of college teams in the New York City to Richmond corridor and all are fairly pretty bad year to year.  Mason will play and likely beat Norfolk State next to go to five and one but then opens at Umass, at Dayton and hosts VCU and Richmond out of the A10 gate.  I'd say an 0 and 4 start is looming.

Taj, thanks for your continuous and thorough A 10 updates.  It's nice having someone like you in the eastern area keep us fly-over Billiken fans, informed of what's going on east of Dayton.

slufanskip likes this