Around the A10 20-21 season

brianstl

19 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

It appears that GT Ryan Murphy is joining Duquesne, immediately.  He is a 6'2" Guard coming from Pitt where he averaged 7.6 ppg.  He led Pitt in 3FG made last season.

I'm unsure on the mid-year transfer aspect.  But the Duquesne website says he is on the squad.

Probably didn't take much effort to move his stuff across town from Pitt to Duquesne.

They play at Richmond tomorrow. Then their next game is at us on the 30th. That is a rough way to start A10 play.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

They play at Richmond tomorrow. Then their next game is at us on the 30th. That is a rough way to start A10 play.

Yeah.  Duquesne hasn't played since Dec 2. According to Rothstein, they are still on pause until Dec 20.  Richmond is scheduled to play Loyola tonight in Indy, and their game v Duquesne is marked as Postponed.  So my guess is the Duke's first game will be against us on the 30th unless they get one of those pop up games. 

Duquesne most likely won't play until their game at Saint Louis which is a hard way to begin A-10 schedule after what will be a 4-week layoff and only 2 non-league games under their belts. The Dukes return all but one player from last season, but have added sharp-shooter Ryan Murphy (who has yet to play this year), 6-9 soph Amari Kelly (who played 300 minutes 2 years ago as a freshman) and 2 promising true freshman in 6-7 Chad Baker and 6-7 Andre Harris.  A couple long-time members of this message board slammed me last season when I tried to voice my opinion, while also praising the Bills who appear to be the top team in the league this season.  The Dukes are my favorite college team, but I am also a very huge fan of this league (partly stemming from my youth when the league began and the Big East stole several teams from them).  Take Villanova away from the Big East and  I don't see much difference from their other 9 teams and the top 7-8 A-10 teams.   I suppose the BE does not have hapless programs like LaSalle, Fordham, GW and St. Joe's.  But the top teams in the A-10 could successfully compete in the BE this year. I am hoping the A-10 gets at least 3 teams in the Big Dance this year although it may be difficult for decent teams like St. Bonnie, Duquesne and UMass because they do not play many OOC games.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Indy had set up a court for a FIBA tourney in a hall in their Convention Center, and they have kept it in place.  It has no stands, several rows of tables, and the teams chairs on risers.  It is what will be used for some of these pop up games. 

Aren't some of the court markings (e.g., lane shape, 3-point distance) different between FIBA and NCAA?  (Or is the current NCAA 3-point distance the same as FIBA?)

11 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Aren't some of the court markings (e.g., lane shape, 3-point distance) different between FIBA and NCAA?  (Or is the current NCAA 3-point distance the same as FIBA?)

That's a good question.  I know the 3 point line was weird, kind of converging lines, but don't recall the lane being different.  I also looked on the FIBA website and couldn't find the tourney, but my post is what the ESPN+ commentators reported during the Richmond Loyola game.

Watched both the Rhode Island/Davidson game and the Richmond/Loyola game some last night.  

Richmond ran out and posted like a 20 point lead over the Ramblers and "hung on" for a two point win that frankly was never in questions.  That's why I put hung on in quotes.  Krutwig had a putback (on a third tip try) that went through the net with 0.2 seconds left for the final score but that only made the margin what it was.  Richmond was always up at least two scores coming down the stretch so the immediacy and urgency of needing a game tying shot was never there for Loyola.  Richmond relied on seniors Francis (27), Gilyard (19) and Golden (14) for this win but mostly Francis.  Francis is the the key --- went 4 of 5 from three and when he does that and is on, Richmond is tough.  Cayo and Burton did very little and the Richmond bench was impressive again with 6 points in 35 minutes.

The real game was Davidson at Rhodey which Davidson won 67 to 58.  Rhodey remain a "mess" in my book.  I know folks keep talking about when all their transfers get their sea leags back but I don't think that will help.  The lesser of the Mitchell twins (Mahkel) is now gone for the year with a torn ACL but Rhodey is helter-skleter personified.  It is Fatts team but he was awful ---- 2 of 11 on the night, zippo on three treys, a total of five points.  Davidson's defensive plan was to let Fatts drive and they have another taller Wildcat (Jones, Mennenga, Brajkovic) meet him in the lane.  This forced bad shots or for Fatts to dump it outside where everyone short of Malik Martin was terrible.  The folks outside of Martin went 6 of 30 on the night (Fatts included).  Jermaine Harris continues to be my favorite 4-star whipping post.  Just not good.  Mahki Mitchell had a nice night but he is a shooter from 5 feet in.  And he fouled out against Davidson's styellar front line.

Davidson is the big three ---- Grady, Collins and Lee.  Grady had an off night hounded by Fatts and his physical buddies and ended with 10.  Fatts and Grady didn't really score until the second half, I think.  Lee, much like Francis at Richmiond, is the sniper.  He and Jimmmmerson have similar games right now.  He'll launch from anywhere.  Supposed A10 top recruit Sam Mennenga was again a non factor, tallying one point and getting less minutes than Bates Jones, who to me is offensively useless.  Bates and other big man backup Boachie-Yadom logged a fully game (40 minutes) and contributed a bucket but did combine for 14 rebounds (12 surprisingly by Jones).  

Davidson and Richmond are who we thought they were.  Rhode Island is a mess and not looking too good right now.  Fatts is not a point guard nor a leader --- he was in his best element feeding off guys like Dowtin, Mathews and Terrel.

Laying low waiting for the Holy War -----Nova hosting St. Joe's. 

Did watch Bonaventure take out Hofstra today.  The Bonies were up by 23 then fell behind in the second half by five before rallying for the 77 to 69 win.  The Bonnies are another team of they are who we thought they were.  Osunniyi can make a dunk and a put back but is still foul prone.  Yes, he had a double double but at least six of his 14 came in garbage time when Hofstra was pressing and he stands under the basket.  The second half was when Bona went to sleep and Hoifstra rallied.  In the end, its always get the ball to Lofton just like Crutcher for Dayton.  He'll score, get fouled, or find Osunniyi for the dunk.  Dom Welch had 15 but I think 11 were in the first half.  No one from the past (Vasquez or Winston) did much and no one new was worthy of mention (Holmes and Adaway).  Adaway is a Miami of Ohio transfer.  Holmes is a junior but I can't find out where he came from.  

The watched Dayton and Ol' Miss.  Another nail biter for the Flyers as they came back from a half time deficit to win by 3 at 65 to 62.  Sloppy play down the stretch.  Dayton in making unforced turnovers and Ol' Miss throwing playmaking to the wind and winging it.  Rodney Chatman kept Dayton in it in the first half and ended with a Dayton career high of 21.  Crutcher added 23 and a lot of that was foul shots down the end.  Watson had 8 but the rest of the team was really weak.  Chase Johnson had two and that came with about 3 minutes to go in the game. We do have an Elijah Weaver sighting ..... 8 minutes with 1 rebound, 1 assist and 1 turnover.  Dayton remains challenged --- to score and get contributions from a weak bench,

Finally watched some of Delaware and La Salle.  La Salle won by ten but the Blue Hens fought them tough.  For the most part, La Salle is a skill-challenged group with little to no height.  Its either Indiana transfer Clifton Moore or Jared Kimbrough and when one is in the other is not,  Today Kimbrough was out so they added freshman center Izay to the rotation but neither he nor Moore add any offense.  Ashley Howard played essentially five guards but that was doable against the CAA Blue Hens.  Beatty, Kenney, Brickus and Gill seem to be all out one-on-one players; npo team cohesion right no.

Off to the Holy War.

5 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

LSU. They’re our best win, and we need them to be as good as possible. VCU will never be in that top 30 territory to help us as much as LSU has/will

Agreed. I want LSU to win all their remaining games. I definitely don't want that for VCU.

BilliesBy40 likes this

3 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Agreed. I want LSU to win all their remaining games. I definitely don't want that for VCU.

Disagree.  Since VCU is in the A10 we have way more overlap with them in terms of schedule.  An LSU win boosts one game for us, but a VCU win boosts the VCU game plus all other conference games indirectly.  I also think VCU needs a W to have NCAA hopes, so I'm rooting for VCU.  After that we want LSU to lay waste to the rest of the SEC.

A 4 bid A10 isn't out of the realm of possibility if VCU beat LSU.  SLU, Richmond, VCU, and Dayton would all have conference resumes that are potentially worthy if they all finish top 4 in the league.

SLUMedBilliken15 and kshoe like this

There was a heavyweight slugfest yesterday at Dayton. Mississippi State came out with a smothering defense that caught Dayton off guard.  The Flyers only had 2 points at the first TV break.  It took a while for Grant to figure out how to handle the D, especially when Mississippi State threw a 1-3-1 at them.  The experienced Flyers figured it out and grab he W.  Dayton's guards were solid and Tshimanga did what he was supposed to do, defend, clog the lane, rebound and put back a couple of bunnies. He is looking much better than last season.  That is 2 SEC wins for the Flyers, albeit against bottom half SEC teams. 

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

There was a heavyweight slugfest yesterday at Dayton. Mississippi State came out with a smothering defense that caught Dayton off guard.  The Flyers only had 2 points at the first TV break.  It took a while for Grant to figure out how to handle the D, especially when Mississippi State threw a 1-3-1 at them.  The experienced Flyers figured it out and grab he W.  Dayton's guards were solid and Tshimanga did what he was supposed to do, defend, clog the lane, rebound and put back a couple of bunnies. He is looking much better than last season.  That is 2 SEC wins for the Flyers, albeit against bottom half SEC teams. 

The major A10 is doing a pretty good job against the mid-major SEC. 

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Props to the Flyers for stepping up their compensation to make up for their sporadic offense.  These non-conference wins against SEC teams improve the perception of our conference.

Alabama/Florida is on, Carolina is giving Rogers headaches, and I'm watching the Nova/St. Joe's 'Holy War.'  Priorities folks.

Bottom line: Nova ran away and hid with an 88 to 68 win.  Lots of intensity for a Big 5/City game as expected.  Gonzaga is likely a complete team but Nova is not far behind .... maybe shy in the paint some.  

My first real long look at St. Joes and I have to admit, they might surprise some this year.  Ryan Daly did not have a Ryan Daly game but still finished with 11.  It seemed a lot of that came well after the game was over.  Daly will continue to use his bruiser frame to drive and flop at the basket. He's a tough matchup for anyone.  Taylor Funk kept the joeys close going 3 of 4 from distance in the first half but cooled considerably in the second half.  He finished with 17.  Dhamir Bishop hit his first two threes of the game ---- then disappeared.  The real find was Billy Lange turning the PG duties over to 6'8" freshman Jordan Hall.  Hall wasn't bad when I saw him earlier but he is a different player with the ball in his hands.  Not great mind you, but much better than what I originally saw.  Hal added 17 with a few threes in the first half but all of the Joeys went quiet in the second.  This was Nova's ninth straight win in the series and Lange was without guards Cam Brown and Gonzaga transfer Greg Foster.  Never head why.  The Joeys were so short freshman Jadrian Tracey and Swede Anton Jannson logged time as well.  Last year's starter, Myles Douglas remains visibly absent from the team.

St. Joes will be a five-out team as expected.  Daly and Fostewr will drive and Funk, Longpre, Bishop and jsck Forrest will jack threes.  If they are going in, they could surprise a few folks not taking them seriously.  The Joeys have now lost to Auburn, Kansas and Nova and are moving to NYC to play Tennessee on Monday.  To say they will be battle tested before A10 play is a drastic understatement.

3 hours ago, Brighton said:

That's a bummer for VCU & the A10. VCU has a pair of pretty good neutral court wins over Utah St and Memphis, but without a top 2 showing in A10 play I'm not sure that is good enough.  3 point loss at Penn State would've been a nice one to have in the W column.  Their only other loss was to W Virginia by 12.  VCU doesn't have another one scheduled until 12/30, so perhaps they'll be able to add another good game.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

That's a bummer for VCU & the A10. VCU has a pair of pretty good neutral court wins over Utah St and Memphis, but without a top 2 showing in A10 play I'm not sure that is good enough.  3 point loss at Penn State would've been a nice one to have in the W column.  Their only other loss was to W Virginia by 12.  VCU doesn't have another one scheduled until 12/30, so perhaps they'll be able to add another good game.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Unfortunately it looks like they may add James Madison to replace VCU.  Bummer.