Around the A10 20-21 season

brianstl

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UD beats a SEC team -Ms St.-by 3 in dbl OT  They have 2-3 players at best  Crutcher was ok at best Obi Watson can shoot and Chapman can defend.  Other than that, not much and they only played 7 in a Dbl OVT game.  Their big guy is no HF except he shoots FTs the same way.

7 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Crutcher is a good player, but hasn't done a lot of "clutcher" scoring down the stretch. Watson a great offensive player. Chapman a great defensive player. I can't see how they finish higher than 6th. 

The a*sclown on 3 Bid League who thinks Dayton > SLU this year is delusional. Can't see how Crutcher makes 1st or 2nd team this year. 

I really like Crutcher's skill set, but there is a big difference between being a good or even very good player and carrying a team. At this point he either can't do it or hasn't figured out how to do it yet.  

I agree with you, I see them finishing in the middle of the pack.  

16 minutes ago, David King said:

Richmond exposed as the soft, mediocre team that they are. Not a top 25 team.

I wouldn’t call them mediocre. Richmond is good, they just aren’t in the same class as West Virginia who is one of the top five teams in the country.  Probably not a top 25 team, but probably a NCAA tournament team.

4 hours ago, David King said:

Richmond exposed as the soft, mediocre team that they are. Not a top 25 team.

I wouldn't say they were exposed as soft, they were exposed as small and lacking interior defense. Still a solid team but with obvious weaknesses, perhaps not top 25. WV took advantage of favorable matchups, posting up their small guards etc. 

Geedubya looked very bad blowing a 19-point lead at home.  My first real look at the Colonials. Jameson Battle still looks to roam the outside and pop threes.  Moyer, the transfer from Vanderbilt,did little to nothing.  Maceo Jack is a senior but has played three years for bad teams.  He might bring experience but it ain't of the good kind.  Jameer Nelson, jr., appears to have been transformed into a defensive stopper.  His offense wasnon-existent and he didn't really stop the 5'10" freshman PG from going wherever he wanted.  Sloan Seymour is soft and just another Euro big man shooter.  Chase Paar adds nothing but bulk.

My first look at James Bishop and the guy 'looked' like David Burns.  Except he had his unruly afro or whatever it was tied up in a quasi-man bun.  Added five inches to his listed height.  Didn't have the speed or look to his game ala Burns but did look like him. Another guy who is essentially useless unless he has the ball in his hands.  They scored a lot yes but it was Bill and Mare.

Final play:  Geedubya down one, with the ball at half court and seven or nine seconds to go.  Christion calls time out and sets up play.  They inbound to Bishop who dribbles 8 seconds away standing at half court then heaves one from the Geedubya logo at the basket.  It doesn't even draw iron.  THIS is the play you designed?  The play designed to score before OT was to set up Seymour who had just entered the game for he first time in the second half.,  Element of surprise or what?  Seymore hit two of three fouls shots (dumb foul) but if he makes the third, ballgame.  

Geedubya is short on talent,bodies, and basketball skill ...and apparently coaching.  Long year in Foggy Bottom, Steve.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Geedubya is short on talent,bodies, and basketball skill ...and apparently coaching.  Long year in Foggy Bottom, Steve.

It's already been a long year, they have 1 win so far and that was against a bottom feeder MEAC team. Their 5 loses are to teams in the MEAC, America East, CAA (twice) and Patriot League. They are almost certain to lose their next game against Charlotte and if they don't beat Fordham on Dec 30 it's highly likely they will not win a game until the end of January when they play Fordham again. 

The final play was set up to be an alley-oop to Nelson Jr. who inbounded the ball ran to the other side of the court and then back cut hard to the basket, you could tell by Nelson Jr's body language when Bishop didn't pass that was the play. 

12 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

The final play was set up to be an alley-oop to Nelson Jr. who inbounded the ball ran to the other side of the court and then back cut hard to the basket, you could tell by Nelson Jr's body language when Bishop didn't pass that was the play. 

Which would lead to my next question, why are you running a back cut alley-oop for your 6 foot guard for the final play?

51 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

where plan b was a 30 foot heave?

I get frustrated with last minute game winning shot possessions most of the time.

I think coaches let the clock run down to low. I know the plan is to limit the other teams chance to respond but teams always seem rushed.

It also seems like teams jack up 3’s a lot when the game is tied on the final possession. Why? A two point bucket wins the game. Why are they shooting a 3?

Coaches should give the a ball to their  best play maker and have him make a play. Drive to the bucket and create. Either dish to an open teammate, get fouled, or make the basket.  Leave enough time to crash the offensive boards. 

coaches overthink final possessions.

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

I get frustrated with last minute game winning shot possessions most of the time.

I think coaches let the clock run down to low. I know the plan is to limit the other teams chance to respond but teams always seem rushed.

It also seems like teams jack up 3’s a lot when the game is tied on the final possession. Why? A two point bucket wins the game. Why are they shooting a 3?

Coaches should give the a ball to their  best play maker and have him make a play. Drive to the bucket and create. Either dish to an open teammate, get fouled, or make the basket.  Leave enough time to crash the offensive boards. 

coaches overthink final possessions.

Underthinking happened at the end of the Illinois game on Saturday, Dosunmu is a lottery pick and he jacked up a 28-foot runner with 3 seconds still on the clock. They may have the best setter of screens in the country in Cockburn and he threw up the runner instead. I'm sure Underwood was thrilled with that one.

dlarry likes this

16 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I have no hard evidence of this, but I'd imagine that as the game as become more analytics based it paradoxically has exacerbated this problem.  Players are taught that the most efficient shots are 3s or at the rim and to always work for those shots.  However, on the final possession when a 3 isn't needed a higher % (but lower efficiency) mid-range shot you a better chance of actually winning them game.  Tough to change your habits for one possession.

Super simplified example - let's say you have a 35% chance of making a 3 which is good for 1.05 points per shot over the course of a game and you have a 40% chance of making a mid-range 2 which is .8 points per shot.  During the game in order to score more points you should always be shooting the 3 point shot.  However, on the last possession in a tied game (or down 1), you'd rather take the 2 point shot.

28 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Underthinking happened at the end of the Illinois game on Saturday, Dosunmu is a lottery pick and he jacked up a 28-foot runner with 3 seconds still on the clock. They may have the best setter of screens in the country in Cockburn and he threw up the runner instead. I'm sure Underwood was thrilled with that one.

From my perspective, I’m pretty sure Dosunmu thought Mizzou was going to foul him, up 3 with just a few seconds left, so he threw that 3 up expecting to get fouled. But it was also pretty clear to me once he got past half court that Mizzou had no plans to foul. It was definitely a weird play.

billiken_roy likes this

52 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

From my perspective, I’m pretty sure Dosunmu thought Mizzou was going to foul him, up 3 with just a few seconds left, so he threw that 3 up expecting to get fouled. But it was also pretty clear to me once he got past half court that Mizzou had no plans to foul. It was definitely a weird play.

the above makes that weird shot a little less weird.   i like your reasoning.  but i dont recall anyone that close to him where he was going to get fouled.  

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the above makes that weird shot a little less weird.   i like your reasoning.  but i dont recall anyone that close to him where he was going to get fouled.  

Oh, I agree. I think Dosunmu got it in his head that they were gonna foul and it blinded him to the fact that they were obviously playing it straight up. It was really awkward sequence all the way around.