Around the A10 20-21 season

brianstl

2 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Saw that in the Richmond win that Northern Iowa’s bench outscored Richmond’s 26-7. 

I think Richmond may have the better starting 5. They play great together and really know how to run that offense. But players 6-10 is no contest. Richmond is brittle without Sherrod. Gilyard is such a ballhawk though, and when we play them I think Yuri's minutes should be matched against Gilyard's. I don't really trust anyone else to run the offense with Gilyard guarding them. 

On the other hand, who's guarding Goodwin? It would be great if both teams were ranked when they play. 

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the starters for us and them match up very well to start ..... French is better on the defensive/rebounding end than Golden.  Golden has a more complete offensive arsenal than Hasahn.  If you match up Cayo with Perkins, he advantage has to go to Perkins.  I don't think Cayo is quick enough to defend Perkins.  I think Jimmmerson and Burton can cancel each other out.  Burton is flashing some decent skills but so too is Gibson.  Gilyard is savvy and the fear for me there against Collins is senior against sophomore.  Yuri's defense will be challenged.  That leaves Goodwin on Francis.  Francis can'tcxover the taller Goodwin but can Goodwin stay with Francis?  If Jordan helps on defense, Francis will gun away.  Burton is no Sherrod but is getting better.  Reminds me of Hargrove/Strickland some.

The bench is our huge advantage.  They have no subs for Francis and Gilyard and Gustavson and Grace are limited.  Gustavson moves well without the ball; Grace has little in redeeming contributions.  Koureissi is raw and foul prone. Wilson gets maybe three minutes a game.  That's it.  Their starters will have to go 35 minutes plus each.  Tulane transfer Connor Crabtree has yet to play due to injury so he is an unknown.

Bell and Linnsen can spell French on Golden.  French will do well against Cayo.  Jacobs and Thatch can easily keep the pressure on Francis and Gilyard.  Then there is Hargrove and Strickland. I'd put either head and shoulders above Grace and Koureissi.  You have to know where Gilyard and Francis are at all times on both ends.  Both like to sneak up from behind on a man with the ball on defense.  Gilyard will shoot when necessary but he has been focusing more on point duties this year and last.  

They are patient, share the ball well, and while Mooney has eschewed the match-up zone defense, they do wel with the man-to-man.  They have also shied away from the so-called Princeton offense but still get more back-door looks than any team I've seen.  

They will be a tough go for us and I look forward to both games with them this year.  They have beaten us in Chaifetz and we demolished them there last year.  

BuiltFordBills likes this

19 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Yuri had his way with Gilyard last year as a freshman. Gilyard went 1-7 with 5 TOs last year. Golden has put up some good games against the Bills and will have to be accounted for.

SLU looks superior right now, but we know how things change. 

Small window but I think Yuri's defense has been very good this year. Excellent ball pressure. 

2 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

I think Richmond may have the better starting 5. They play great together and really know how to run that offense. But players 6-10 is no contest. Richmond is brittle without Sherrod. Gilyard is such a ballhawk though, and when we play them I think Yuri's minutes should be matched against Gilyard's. I don't really trust anyone else to run the offense with Gilyard guarding them. 

On the other hand, who's guarding Goodwin? It would be great if both teams were ranked when they play. 

I feel like we would have the opportunity to destroy them on the boards. Our physicality should be a problem for them. Keep in mind, all A-10 opponents facing us last year did not see Gibson, Fred and Linnsen.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Tre Mitchell with 31 points and 11 rebounds today. We couldn't stop him last year either. We're gonna have to throw all of our bigs at him, double team him every time and make somebody else beat you. He's a stud.

Why anyone besides Mitchell was considered for pre-season conference POY is beyond me, especially having one of the all-time great freshman seasons in the A10.  He' will make his new running mate Jahvon Garcia look otherworldly at times, just like Toppin did for Crutcher. 

Unfortunately, I missed all but the last seven minutes of the Umass game today.  They are going to replay Northeastern again on Sunday.  Then they go straight to La Salle and open A10 play with only two OOC games.  Interesting that two mainstays from last year Preston Santos and Dibaji Walker didn't see the court.  Just don't know why as I missed the broadcast.  Garcia and DeGray are two-star freshmen and looked pretty good but Northeastern is CAA and picked to finish middle of the pack there.  Good start for Mitchell, just going to have to play denial defense on the guy but he was 2 for 2 from three.

Davidson just went nutz on Georgia Southern  I don't know how a 32-point win can be so unimpressive.  There is no excitement in Davidson's game --- just discipline and motion.  Of course, the opponent seemed kind of weak as well although they were 3 and 0 coming into Davidson's Belk Arena.  Tale of two teams ---- discipline versus helter-skelter.

At half, Davidson had 38 points.  Two free throws, three baskets and 10 three=pointers.  On the night they took 55 shots of which 33 were three pointers and they made almost 52% of those treys.  Carter Collins went 7 for 8 and set a new career high with 23 points.  They said his mom was in the stands.  Grady had what I would call a mundane 17 --- not5hign to write home about.  The more I see Lee, the more I see another Blake Francis clone shooting threes at the moment he steps on the court.  But much like Jimmmerson, he has developed a nice head-fake-drive-stop-n-pop jumper.  Still Davidson is a three-man show.  Mennenga and Brajkovic with 7 each and the full bench was emptied and contributed 5 in massive minutes.  Davidson shot five free throws.  What dothey say about not fouling a jump shooter?  

The bench shot 1 for 11 meaning Davidson's starters were 28-for-44 and 64% from the field.  They beat us last year there. Coudl be another barn burner this year as McKillop is always prepared and schooled Travis last year some.  Just have to shut one or two of the three down.  If you shut down Grady and make the other two do it all, do they crack?

1 minute ago, MichaelC said:

Watching Dayton - Miss State. Dayton's bigs are in fact big bodies and they give effort but they have enormous difficulty finishing around the rim and they're lateral movement isn't great. I can't imagine that any of our bigs will have any trouble with them. 

They have multiple Madani Diarras. Neither of these teams are any good

Mississippi State would probably be the 2nd most talented team in our conference.  Two legitimate perimeter scorers who can create their own shot, a rugged Cyril Langevine type big on the inside and a decent bench. 

Like a lot of Howland MSU teams, though, their basketball IQ is low.  They can be baited into silly fouls.  Other than Crutcher, there's nobody on Dayton who's really adept at doing that.

48 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Mississippi State would probably be the 2nd most talented team in our conference.  Two legitimate perimeter scorers who can create their own shot, a rugged Cyril Langevine type big on the inside and a decent bench. 

Just to be clear, when you say 2nd most talented you don’t mean 2nd best right ?

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

No, they play with too low of a basketball IQ to be the second best team in our conference.  Not enough consistency in play.  Beat good team one day, lose to bad team the next.

I figured bc you know the sport well, but some people aren’t able to separate the two so was making sure 

Crutcher is a good player, but hasn't done a lot of "clutcher" scoring down the stretch. Watson a great offensive player. Chapman a great defensive player. I can't see how they finish higher than 6th. 

The a*sclown on 3 Bid League who thinks Dayton > SLU this year is delusional. Can't see how Crutcher makes 1st or 2nd team this year.