Around the A10 20-21 season

brianstl

Just now, gister said:

I was going to check out the game until you mentioned Bill Walton.  I think he is the absolute worst announcer on college basketball.  I thought motor mouth stuck with the west coast schools, but maybe he is moving east which can't be good for college basketball.

in. his defense he's a former stutterer.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't watch the game.  If the play by plan on ESPN is correct, what a brutal ending for Davidson vs Texas.  They were ahead in the 1st half and battled and kept things close all game.  Finally tied it up 76-76 with a minute left after being down 7 with 5 to play.  Ramey misses a 3 for Taxes with 36 seconds left, but they grab the O rebound and then after a TO Ramey gets a layup with 19 seconds left.  Play by play seems squirrelly here, but it says Sam Mennenga of Davidson then missed a 3 with 4 seconds left and after an O rebound missed another with 3 seconds left.

This would have been another huge feather in the A-10 cap.  Bummer that Davidson blew it.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I didn't watch the game.  If the play by plan on ESPN is correct, what a brutal ending for Davidson vs Texas.  They were ahead in the 1st half and battled and kept things close all game.  Finally tied it up 76-76 with a minute left after being down 7 with 5 to play.  Ramey misses a 3 for Taxes with 36 seconds left, but they grab the O rebound and then after a TO Ramey gets a layup with 19 seconds left.  Play by play seems squirrelly here, but it says Sam Mennenga of Davidson then missed a 3 with 4 seconds left and after an O rebound missed another with 3 seconds left.

This would have been another huge feather in the A-10 cap.  Bummer that Davidson blew it.

I wouldn't say they 'blew it', but they certainly could have won it.  Yeah, it would have been another nice W for the A10.  Davidson went for the win rather than the tie, and came up short.  They tried to get the ball to Grady for the last shot running off a pick, but he was covered.  Mennenga, who set the pick, took the shot and, well, close to a brick.  Mennenga looked pretty good throughout the game.  He is a frosh and is a perfect fit for Davidson.  I believe Davidson plays Providence tomorrow.  The Friars lacked effort today against the Hoosiers. Maybe the Wildcats can pull a V against the BigEast.

18 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

Horrible Duquesne loss to Arkansas Little Rock. They sure love playin us, because they never play as well against anyone else. Mind blowing!

Yuck.  I expected DUQ to be really good this year because they returned nearly all of their key players.  Are they coming off a COVID layoff?  Haven't looked into it too much, but it would make sense if teams coming off the COVID layoff are struggling.  I know that Jim Boehiem tried to use that as an excuse for Syracuse nearly losing to some Little Sisters of the Poor school at home.

24 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

Horrible Duquesne loss to Arkansas Little Rock. They sure love playin us, because they never play as well against anyone else. Mind blowing!

Hughes didn't start but played 28 minutes off the bench.  Wonder what was up?  7 of 29 from the Arc for 24%.  That won't win many games.

23 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Yuck.  I expected DUQ to be really good this year because they returned nearly all of their key players.  Are they coming off a COVID layoff?  Haven't looked into it too much, but it would make sense if teams coming off the COVID layoff are struggling.  I know that Jim Boehiem tried to use that as an excuse for Syracuse nearly losing to some Little Sisters of the Poor school at home.

Playing a top 100 caliber team as your opener is a bad idea, IMO.  Should get the bugs worked out with a weaker opponent.  Little Rock's tiny point guard, Markquis Nowell, is all-conference player who we recruited out of high school and their two 6'10 skilled bigs are exactly the matchup that would give Duquesne's bigs trouble.

17 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Same w/ me and didn't think it was even a little funny

You guys are really missing out. It is truly some of the best sitcom humor ever. You have to invest into the characters to truly appreciate it, but the character acting and writing is absurdly good. 

On 11/30/2020 at 11:57 AM, bauman said:

I don't care what he used to be.  He along with Dickie V. are obnoxious and I will not watch any games they are announcing.

Tough crowd here. Bill Walton is an enjoyable, easy-going guy who delights with his constant randomness. Nobody else brings Dickie V's genuine energy and love for the game, plus he is a truly generous and charitable man. Hate the haters, not the media guys who bring positivity.  

5 minutes ago, davidnark said:

You guys are really missing out. It is truly some of the best sitcom humor ever. You have to invest into the characters to truly appreciate it, but the character acting and writing is absurdly good. 

Part of it for me is I just don't find Steve Carrell funny. I'm not sure I've ever even seen a movie of his I thought was more than just ok. 

1 minute ago, davidnark said:

Tough crowd here. Bill Walton is an enjoyable, easy-going guy who delights with his constant randomness. Nobody else brings Dickie V's genuine energy and love for the game, plus he is a truly generous and charitable man. Hate the haters, not the media guys who bring positivity.  

Many years ago SLU had a fundraising dinner with Dickie V being the keynote speaker. He gave a great motivational talk. Really Good. That said I am tired of his schtick.  

billiken_roy likes this