Mizzou, SLU, COVID, and scheduling

davidnark

I am not one who normally gets too concerned about whether SLU and MU play, although I think it is lost opportunity to generate revenue and promote interest in both programs within the largest market in the state. However, with all the craziness and complexity of the COVID situation, travel restrictions, etc., it is absolutely insane that the two schools have not just picked up the phone and scheduled a game or two against each other over the next 6 weeks. It is the safest and logistically simplest option for both schools, and it would add a quality nonconference game for both schools. I guess sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest. 

32 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I am not one who normally gets too concerned about whether SLU and MU play, although I think it is lost opportunity to generate revenue and promote interest in both programs within the largest market in the state. However, with all the craziness and complexity of the COVID situation, travel restrictions, etc., it is absolutely insane that the two schools have not just picked up the phone and scheduled a game or two against each other over the next 6 weeks. It is the safest and logistically simplest option for both schools, and it would add a quality nonconference game for both schools. I guess sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest. 

wouldnt be too surprised now that Mizzou only has 1 good occ game, their game against Oregon got cancelled this week

What really confounds me on this game is the Womens teams play every year. Does this mean we’re not rivals in the recruitment of local girls? It’s crazy Mizzery will not make this an annual affair. After the last 3 game series (20 years ago) the statewide media was behind continuing the series. Still, Mizzery refuses. Crazy. 

26 minutes ago, wgstl said:

wouldnt be too surprised now that Mizzou only has 1 good occ game, their game against Oregon got cancelled this week

It looks like they have some open dates; non conference games (Pomeroy rating in parenthesis) are Oral Roberts (204), @Wichita State (97), Liberty (165), Illinois (17), Bradley (126), and TCU (53). I could see them rounding that out with a couple of crap opponents.

We have nothing to gain from playing Mizzou this season.  We would be their Super Bowl game this season.  We have much bigger fish to fry than beating a SEC bottom feeder this season.  

Now if you want to talk about adding the Illini to the schedule, you have my interest.  

We have 8 non-conference games, which is at the high end of what I'm seeing. Most teams seem to have 6 or 7, some have 5. I don't see us adding a game. Then again, anything can happen this season.

I agree with your premise, though, @davidnark. I would be looking to minimize travel in every way possible. SLU or Mizzou could travel by bus and not even have to deal with a hotel.

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Now if you want to talk about adding the Illini to the schedule, you have my interest.  

It looks like Illinois could have some open dates too (list December 5th as an open date on their schedule with a home game listed, we have Arkansas-Pine Bluff on our schedule that date); non conference games (Pomeroy rating in parenthesis) are North Carolina A&T (311), Chicago State (354), Ohio (137), Baylor in Indy (1), @Duke (3), and @Mizzou (59). Based on @Pistol's post, maybe they are just looking to add one on that December 5th opening that would round it out with 7 non conference games.

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

I'm with David in that this is the most talked about topic that normally has little chance of happening so it kind of bores me. But this year is different and who has home court really shouldn't matter much. Do a flip of the coin like Mizzou/Illinois did if the home court is the thing holding it up.

We need more strength in our OOC schedule and Mizzou should be better than expected this year. It's a game worth playing

Billiken Rich likes this

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

Fear of losing status > short term money

That's been the story the entire time and it's only more pronounced now that we're the better program.  From their perspective, who cares if they generate revenue for one game if it contributes to the elevation of our program and the diminution of theirs?  That will screw with their money long-term.

9 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm with David in that this is the most talked about topic that normally has little chance of happening so it kind of bores me. But this year is different and who has home court really shouldn't matter much. Do a flip of the coin like Mizzou/Illinois did if the home court is the thing holding it up.

We need more strength in our OOC schedule and Mizzou should be better than expected this year. It's a game worth playing

In all honesty, Mizzou exceeding expectations depends on how much court time a healthy in game shape and not in foul trouble Tilmon is able to see.  For all of his faults, they are a much better team when he can give them 20 + mpg. He is the only decent front court player they have.  The wheels really fell of their season when he got hurt.

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

In all honesty, Mizzou exceeding expectations depends on how much court time a healthy in game shape and not in foul trouble Tilmon is able to see.  For all of his faults, they are a much better team when he can give them 20 + mpg. He is the only decent front court player they have.  The wheels really fell of their season when he got hurt.

tillmon is an amazing athlete.   too bad he never has been in complete control when playing.   a lot of potential that has never seemed to play up to his potential.   watched him for 4 years in high school show glimpses and then disappear.   

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

58 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

tillmon is an amazing athlete.   too bad he never has been in complete control when playing.   a lot of potential that has never seemed to play up to his potential.   watched him for 4 years in high school show glimpses and then disappear.   

Tillmon had the potential to be a first round pick but for whatever reason it just never came together.

I’d like to see this matchup to see how quickly French could get Tillmon in foul trouble.

He would have him on the bench by the Bills 6th possession.

BIG BILL FAN likes this

The two top rated teams in Missouri are SLU and Mizzou, 9.5 out of 10 years.  Upon an occasion Missouri State may slip in between.  And both are typically top 100.  Why two top 100 teams 90 miles apart don't play is beyond me.  And those who say "we have nothing to gain" can't see very well.  Playing Arkansas PB, Central Arkansas, SIUE, Evansville, Kansas City, those are the teams we have nothing to gain by playing.  I'll take a top 100 team any day over a bottom dweller.  MN is picked in the bottom quadrant of the Big Ten.  I don't see may MBM's saying 'we have nothing to gain' by playing them.

Fan Guy likes this

22 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The two top rated teams in Missouri are SLU and Mizzou, 9.5 out of 10 years.  Upon an occasion Missouri State may slip in between.  And both are typically top 100.  Why two top 100 teams 90 miles apart don't play is beyond me.  And those who say "we have nothing to gain" can't see very well.  Playing Arkansas PB, Central Arkansas, SIUE, Evansville, Kansas City, those are the teams we have nothing to gain by playing.  I'll take a top 100 team any day over a bottom dweller.  MN is picked in the bottom quadrant of the Big Ten.  I don't see may MBM's saying 'we have nothing to gain' by playing them.

we've had to listen to that b.s. for 30 years.   so we get the chance to say it this year, you dam right i am going to say it all year long.  the mi$$ouri fans $uck and deserve to have it stuck in their faces.

AGB91 and dennis_w like this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

we've had to listen to that b.s. for 30 years.   so we get the chance to say it this year, you dam right i am going to say it all year long.  the mi$$ouri fans $uck and deserve to have it stuck in their faces.

3 shift key uses, that's all caps 4u roy :)

7 minutes ago, almaman said:

3 shift key uses, that's all caps 4u roy :)

that's  necessary to emphasize how corrupt the tiger$ are.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

My unsolicited advice is to get over it.  I care more about the SLU program than I do about your feelings.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

-great take, I agree with the caveat that outside of this season any games are on total and complete equal conditions

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

My unsolicited advice is to get over it.  I care more about the SLU program than I do about your feelings.

there is nothing to get over.   the tiger fanbase are pr!cks and if i want to rag on them, i am going to rag on them.    there is no reason to give them any breaks.  they never saw fit to give us any respect so i will never give them any respect either.   they dont deserve the opportunity to play us.   no hand ups for their worthlessness.   let them play semo.

dennis_w, AGB91 and BIG BILL FAN like this