Billikens pull out of Nebraska MTE, LSU to play at Chaifetz

brianstl

AD May was on with Frank this AM.  You can pick up the tape on the Press Box website.

For the Billiken Classic, there will be daily testing.

Coaches will wear masks while coaching.

Benches won't be typical, but will be spread out like the NBA bubble.

Scorer's bench will have 6 instead of the normal 30.

Radio will be up high at Chaifetz.  No one will be within 10 feet of the floor.

Minimum number of media will be allowed.

No spectators for the MTE.

Worse case, ESPN+ will televise, but they have many feelers out.

Exact game times will be set on Monday.

He also said that the OOC schedule won't be laid out until next week.  He said everyone will need to be on a 2 to 4 week protocol to react to situations.  The A10 AD's zoom weekly, looking at as many scenarios as possible.

He is fully behind having the NCAA at one site, but it isn't a done deal yet.

Pistol likes this

42 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I assume he means Wednesday's opener against SIUE but considering how things have gone lately I won't believe any game day/time until the ball is thrown into the air.

Lol, you’re not wrong. This is still good news though. Means he’s ready to go full-speed, full-contact. I can’t imagine he’ll play huge minutes early on. Who knows, if we get a big lead, he may end up playing more than I think to get him closer to game shape. We’re gonna need him at 100% when we hit conference play.

Edited by Reinert310
I can’t type

On 11/20/2020 at 1:01 PM, Pistol said:

Except a lot of football games aren't happening. 16 are already cancelled for this upcoming weekend. Over 80 have been cancelled this season. Dozens of teams have played three or fewer games. Even in games that have been played, tons of players have had to sit. It's been a disaster of a season.

It hasn't even started and this basketball season is already in the same boat. Just try to get as many games in as possible and ultimately get some form of a tournament in. As fans I feel like we will go essentially day to day checking to see which games are on for the night and which games are being cancelled. Ultimately I think this is about the NCAA and programs trying to put a number on the board on the revenue side of their margin analysis that isn't zero. Sucks for us SLU fans as this team has so much promise, but I guess you just keep your fingers crossed that we do in fact get a tournament.

I think the primary goal for this college football season was for programs in the SEC, Big 12, and ACC to salvage some money by getting in as many games as possible. I think they "owe" the various networks a certain number of games, so that is their primary target I would imagine. It certainly has not gone off without a hitch as there have been weeks where too many games were cancelled for them to possibly satisfy those obligations. I think if just playing some form of a season to maintain some of that television $ was the goal, while maybe not fully hitting that target, it at least has not been a disaster. Looks like most teams in the ACC have played 8 or 9 games (Wake Forest and Georgia Tech have only played 7) with 2 or 3 more to play, most teams in the Big 12 have played 7 or 8 (Baylor has only played 6) with 2 or 3 left to play, and teams in the SEC have played between 6-8 games with 2-4 more to play (it looks they might be at a spot where some games aren't made up). So while things have not gone smoothly and as a fan you likely can't take away a whole lot from this season, at least most of the schedule is getting played and you hope your program is making enough $ to continue on.

What a wild year for sports.

10 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

It hasn't even started and this basketball season is already in the same boat. Just try to get as many games in as possible and ultimately get some form of a tournament in. As fans I feel like we will go essentially day to day checking to see which games are on for the night and which games are being cancelled. Ultimately I think this is about the NCAA and programs trying to put a number on the board on the revenue side of their margin analysis that isn't zero. Sucks for us SLU fans as this team has so much promise, but I guess you just keep your fingers crossed that we do in fact get a tournament.

I think the primary goal for this college football season was for programs in the SEC, Big 12, and ACC to salvage some money by getting in as many games as possible. I think they "owe" the various networks a certain number of games, so that is their primary target I would imagine. It certainly has not gone off without a hitch as there have been weeks where too many games were cancelled for them to possibly satisfy those obligations. I think if just playing some form of a season to maintain some of that television $ was the goal, while maybe not fully hitting that target, it at least has not been a disaster. Looks like most teams in the ACC have played 8 or 9 games (Wake Forest and Georgia Tech have only played 7) with 2 or 3 more to play, most teams in the Big 12 have played 7 or 8 (Baylor has only played 6) with 2 or 3 left to play, and teams in the SEC have played between 6-8 games with 2-4 more to play (it looks they might be at a spot where some games aren't made up). So while things have not gone smoothly and as a fan you likely can't take away a whole lot from this season, at least most of the schedule is getting played and you hope your program is making enough $ to continue on.

What a wild year for sports.

-perhaps a bit altruistic on my part but I hope very near the top of the list is a goal to let the kids play

-from comments I have read around basketball the goal is to have the NCAA Tournament, I surmise this is first, second and third from the NCAA's pov

44 minutes ago, Brighton said:

The NCAA can't afford to go through another year without March Madness. They're going to play it.

Absolutely right, from an article regarding holding the tournament in one location: https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/dukes-mike-krzyzewski-calls-holding-ncaa-tourney-in-one-city-a-challenge

Whether it is in Indianapolis or somewhere else, the NCAA has to hold the tournament this year as the organization lost $375 million when the 2020 tournament was canceled due to the coronavirus.

“We need to have the tournament,” Krzyzewski said. “There’s no question.”

3 hours ago, Brighton said:

The NCAA can't afford to go through another year without March Madness. They're going to play it.

Right. On the basketball side, the NCAA needs March Madness this spring and on the football side I think the BCS athletic departments needed a football season this fall. So while the football season has certainly not gone as planned, conferences like the ACC, SEC, and Big 12 appear to be at least getting most of their schedules in and I think that allows them to move forward with the College Football Playoff (and bowl games) this winter. If that happens, they at least avoid the worst case scenarios financially. Obviously they are still all losing significant game day revenue.

With basketball, I think they are going to play as many games as possible and have a tournament since like you said the NCAA can't afford not to. It is just going to be a strange season as a fan constantly monitoring whether your team will be playing game in and game out and maybe even who our opponent is as that has become dynamic on the football side. When I go onto cbssports I see headlines for Duke's opener being cancelled, Tennessee and Seton Hall pausing all team activities, Ole Miss cancelling their first four games, Baylor out of their tournament, and Florida out of their big game with Virginia. This is going to be a wild ride.