Billikens Radio to KMOX starting this season

thetorch

Just announced on the Mighty Mox, KMOX is now the new voice of the Billikens. Learfield, SLU, and KMOX have agreed to a multi year deal to bring all men's basketball broadcasts along with some "key" women's games to 50,000 watt station.

Chris May will be on KMOX the 8 O'clock hour to announce the new partnership.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is huge!  Now what's important is for the MOX to not hand off Billiken games in Feb and Mar for Cardinals Spring Training games.

What about Blues games?  I can't remember which station carries them, hopefully not KMOX.  Did they shift to 101.3 ESPN last year?

I assume Rammer and Earl will continue as the announcers, if not it becomes a bad deal. 

I have been disappointed at the lack of coverage by 101.3,  the radio voice of the Billikens, the last few years.  They had the games but never have spent much time otherwise with any Billiken coverage.  They didn't even come close to what Frank does during his 2 hour show on a competing Sports station.

billiken_roy likes this

From the KMOX press release, we are #3 to the Cardinals and Chiefs:

In the event a Saint Louis Billikens men’s basketball game day broadcast conflicts with the MLB’s St. Louis Cardinals or NFL’s Kansas City Chiefs, the Billikens will air live on Entercom sister station 97.1 FM Talk (KFTK-FM), a 100,000-watt station in St. Louis. All broadcasts also will air live on RADIO.COM.

HoosierPal likes this

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Because I’m not very familiar with my watts.. what does this mean. Does 50k watts cover most of the area the cardinals do? Or is that just St. Louis 

Back when I was in grad school in South Carolina, I would listen to Cards games carried on KMOX on my car radio.  Yeah, good coverage.

It's not mentioned in the release but I certainly hope Rammer and Earl continue as our broadcast team.

Rammer and Earl remain on.

KMOX will air the Travis Ford show as well.

I think airing women's games is huge.

Since losing the Blues, KMOX has been desperate for more sports programming. They have a history of deeply promoting the teams they air, unlike our former station.

25 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Because I’m not very familiar with my watts.. what does this mean. Does 50k watts cover most of the area the cardinals do? Or is that just St. Louis 

Yes, it will have the same coverage as Cardinals games. 50K watts is the strongest an AM station can be. KMOX has always been known for their great signal, which bounces around to parts of 40 states.

I just heard Chris May on KMOX and Rammer and Earl will definitely be back this season.

52 minutes ago, bauman said:

That is huge!  Now what's important is for the MOX to not hand off Billiken games in Feb and Mar for Cardinals Spring Training games.

What about Blues games?  I can't remember which station carries them, hopefully not KMOX.  Did they shift to 101.3 ESPN last year?

I assume Rammer and Earl will continue as the announcers, if not it becomes a bad deal. 

I have been disappointed at the lack of coverage by 101.3,  the radio voice of the Billikens, the last few years.  They had the games but never have spent much time otherwise with any Billiken coverage.  They didn't even come close to what Frank does during his 2 hour show on a competing Sports station.

i too fear the spring training game conflicts.   and i can just see post game shows cut short or not at all.   this isnt all good imo.  i remain a skeptic till it plays out.  and last surely  they arent stupid enough to X earl and rammer.

While KMOX isn't the ratings monster it was 20 years ago, having your product broadcast on it makes your product the mainstream product in the eyes of the rest of media in this city.  That is huge for the Billikens.    Even with the ratings not being what they once were, they still are almost triple of those at 101.1.  This is great news all around even if some games get bumped.  Billiken basketball will get local mainstream media exposure like it hasn't since the Spoonball days.

dlarry likes this

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

How's KMOX's app? ESPN 101 had a pretty reliable one for SLU games.

Ha, I remember the old days when I would listen to Bills games sitting in my car on top of mountain in Johnson City, TN :). Came in nice and clear. 

Does KMOX still require a payed subsription for internet?

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I remember visiting my sister in Denver back around 2000 and could listen to KMOX at night. It's a big reason why there are a ton of Cardinals fans out west. A lot of the older fans grew up listening to Cardinals games on KMOX. 50k watts is entire coverage area I believe. 

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

While KMOX isn't the ratings monster it was 20 years ago, having your product broadcast on it makes your product the mainstream product in the eyes of the rest of media in this city.  That is huge for the Billikens.    Even with the ratings not being what they once were, they still are almost triple of those at 101.1.  This is great news all around even if some games get bumped.  Billiken basketball will get local mainstream media exposure like it hasn't since the Spoonball days.

the biggest problem with the bumped games is that they typically are the ones that arent at home or on tv.   

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

The night waves easily carry the 50K clear channel signal to the east coast so that all of our. VCU and Saint Joe’s fans can listen to our games.

-let's hope this works great for SLU, just a guess but I think we got bumped by the Blues more than we will get bumped by spring training or football but the spring training bumps will be conference and tournament games

-CMay knew the deal when he signed it, he must think it benefits us, I wonder if 101.1 wanted to continue with us???

When I lived in Ohio, I could always get KMOX at night. KMOX loved the Bills during the Spoon era. I don’t know this for sure, but I’d wager KMOX with the Spoon show was a major factor for getting the general public to show up at games in record numbers. A lot of the Spoon show had to do with his love of the Cards. Carracker always steered a portion of his interviews w/Spoon towards the Cardinals. It was more of a general sports /entertainment show than one solely about the Bills. Basically, one third about the Bills, one third on Down home Spoon country boy stories, and one third on the Cards. Hope they don’t do this to Travis. 

2 hours ago, bauman said:

Blues gamed did shift to 101.1 ESPN last year.  They frequently bumped SLU games to another station that was also owned by the same company (105.7 the POINT or 94.7 KSHE were the usual spots if I remember correctly).  I didn't find that as bad / annoying as some others.  Not ideal, but my take was that Billiken fans should be able to find the game regardless and those other stations actually have more regular listeners who might stumble upon the game.  It was also funny to check Twitter on game days and see KSHE red necks / white trash POINT listeners (I listen to those stations sometimes myself, so I can make fun of them) have a fit over a basketball game being broadcast on their station.

The only acceptable options for SLU on radio are 101.1 ESPN or KMOX.  Ultimately whichever of those stations does not carry the Blues is going to be the best option.  This is the a good move.

Two keys will be:

#1 - does KMOX do more in to promote the SLU program outside of just airing games.  101.1 ESPN despite being an all sports station never really did this.  They aired the coaches' show, but didn't cover SLU a lot during other shows on the station.  Hopefully KMOX anchors are encouraged to mention SLU / upcoming games during other shows.

#2 - as you mentioned, will they get bumped for Cardinals spring training games.  I have a feeling they will.  The Cardinals are the 1,000 pound Gorilla in the St. Louis sports market and KMOX will do whatever they want which is understandable.  However, it will still be disappointing.  This is especially true because those conflict games will be potentially during the most important / most interesting to casual fans portion of SLU's schedule.  Hopefully there won't be very many of those conflicts.

Oh I want to share my KMOX story too, on a clear night you can pick it up at Ft. Hood. TX.  I listened to SLU games that way many times. 

ESPN 101.1 listen live app was good.   I hope KMOX does too.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

the chiefs would take priority?   jesus.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

My guess is that is already part of the deal they have with the Chiefs.

NFL is a ratings monster.

It sucks but I get it.

As long as it’s always 97.1 when they are bumped I’ll be happy. When they got bumped on 101.1 it seemed you never knew what station they would be moved to. 
It sounds like it will always be 97.1 so it will at least be consistent.