Hochman Column

thetorch

In a year where we will lose at least two All-Conference players, it just makes sense to bring in a high major transfer.  You may very well have two All-Conference players in waiting on the roster, but why take a chance?  And if you're wrong, the "penalty" is you possibly end up with three All-Conference players.

brianstl and slufanskip like this

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

In a year where we will lose at least two All-Conference players, it just makes sense to bring in a high major transfer.  You may very well have two All-Conference players in waiting on the roster, but why take a chance?  And if you're wrong, the "penalty" is you possibly end up with three All-Conference players.

Especially with the way waivers are handed out these days, a transfer is probably already playing next year. 

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

If we perform as well as I think we will, there won’t be shortage of transfers willing to consider SLU.  We are are really going to be in a situation we never have been in before when it comes to transfers.

You add to that the number of top 250 kids that have not committed at this time and the big number of kids that are holding off on signing their NLI so far with the teams they verballed to, we should be in a very strong position come spring.

SLU has the chance to avoid the lag time that normally follows a strong season before it impacts the recruits you bring in.

rgbilliken likes this

On 11/14/2020 at 8:50 AM, slu72 said:

Yeah, I understand your concerns. As for Bell worries, I think Welmer’s foot problems were a chronic problem that was not entirely BB related, ie hereditary maybe. Fred seems to have recovered nicely, but I know nothing about his illness and if it is going to be a reoccurring issue for him. Old Guy would know if this was a one time illness or if it’s an illness that requires continuing treatments. 
I really appreciated Russell taking a walk on spot this year when he likely could have got a scholie at a low mid major. He must really want to be a Billiken. I hope his commitment is rewarded with one of those open scholarships. 

It’s fun having a discussion about what position on this teams depth.  The discussion is not about I wish our team had depth at this position instead it is about how the depth in positions should be stacked in recruiting.  Everything you mentioned about the big men on the team on the previous post I agree with.  I am now in the weeds trying to explain the desire for a big because of Welmer’s and Bell’s foot.  I guess it’s like a loaded NFL team in the draft, take the best player available.

• 3 weeks later...

-I know this thread is about a Hochman article, but I didn't want to start a new thread or keep looking for a better place

-BenFred has a column today about bball scheduling in the age of Covid - I can't get a link as I can't get to STLToday.com

-he advocates for a game this season with the fluid schedule situation but his theme is that both teams are at fault for not playing this season or historically

-BenFred, you are not an honest purveyor of the facts, one school has been willing to play, that is SLU, and one school has not, that is the other, don't include SLU in your blame game when they shouldn't be, what a cheap and dishonest article, especially the conclusion

majerus mojo likes this

8 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I know this thread is about a Hochman article, but I didn't want to start a new thread or keep looking for a better place

-BenFred has a column today about bball scheduling in the age of Covid - I can't get a link as I can't get to STLToday.com

-he advocates for a game this season with the fluid schedule situation but his theme is that both teams are at fault for not playing this season or historically

-BenFred, you are not an honest purveyor of the facts, one school has been willing to play, that is SLU, and one school has not, that is the other, don't include SLU in your blame game when they shouldn't be, what a cheap and dishonest article, especially the conclusion

I read the article earlier today. He did mention that in the past they could never get past who got 2 of the 3 games. And I assume it was SPUMAC that wouldn't make it a true h and h with either 2 or 4 games. Anyway, it's impossible from his article to say what went on behind closed doors (or over the phone), if anything. He says sources Monday made it clear it wouldn't happen. He doesn't say who he talked to, or if his sources are even reliable. He doesn't even say if the the two teams even discussed it at all. That's on him.

For my part, I think we fans should do what we've been doing. Worry about our team, our league and the schedule before us. Ignore the team to the west. If the casual fans and/or the sportswriters clamor enough that a game or series happens, that's fine. Otherwise, ignore them.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't know where to put this. I know they can't wait for this to happen....

Goodwin, French and Perkins will most likely not be back next season. Losses like that have often convinced coaches that a change in scenery isn’t such a bad idea if they’ve done as much as they can where they are. Travis Ford talks like a man who is pretty happy with what he’s building in Midtown, but this could be the first time during his tenure here that we hear of lures from greener ($$) pastures.

20 for 2021: St. Louis sports stories to watch | FOX 2 (fox2now.com)

41 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Coach isn't a spring chicken anymore.  He's either here for the duration or he leaves for a dream job.  I'm not really worried about losing him to Kansas St./Vanderbilt/Penn St./Boston College.  If we become the new Wichita St., he would be considered for a much better job than that.

42 minutes ago, Brighton said:

I think if SLU would match any salary thrown at Travis he’d be likely to stay. He’s built a solid foundation for at least the next 2 seasons and could add to that. Obviously, if UK came calling, it’s game over. But I believe Calamari signed a 3-5 year extension not too long ago and one would guess his buyout would be way up there. I’m hoping Travis looks at SLU like Few at Zaga, it’s a comfortable fit. The question is can any mid major program pull off a Zaga, ie seriously contend for a national championship year in and year out. Every D1 coach likely dreams of winning a National championship and, obviously, a P5 position gives one a better shot at it. If he does go he will be missed, but I now feel the school would honestly seek a very capable replacement and not a filler type like you know who. 

We haven’t won a ncaa tournament game and yet people think he might take over one of the biggest post season winners at UK. Calm down. Fords done well but we haven’t cracked top 25 yet once. We might think highly of him but he doesn’t have the resume for a blue blood or power 5 so relax. 

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

We haven’t won a ncaa tournament game and yet people think he might take over one of the biggest post season winners at UK. Calm down. Fords done well but we haven’t cracked top 25 yet once. We might think highly of him but he doesn’t have the resume for a blue blood or power 5 so relax. 

Who said they thought he might take over at UK? 

25 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Who said they thought he might take over at UK? 

No one but he is posting less.

Not much going on in sports news so create something to get clicks.

Our team is in great shape after the big 3 depart but the writer cannot mention that.

Jordan Goodwin will never be replaced however I feel good about Okoro replacing French and Hargrove replacing Perkins.  Then there is Collins, Jacobs, Jimerson, Strickland, Bell, Linssen, and Russell.

10 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Our team is in great shape after the big 3 depart but the writer cannot mention that.

Jordan Goodwin will never be replaced however I feel good about Okoro replacing French and Hargrove replacing Perkins.  Then there is Collins, Jacobs, Jimerson, Strickland, Bell, Linssen, and Russell.

Thatch can rebound, but between Gibson, Jacobs, Thatch and Hargrove we will find a way to replace some of Goodwin’s rebounding. I think Collins will become more of a scorer next year as well.

1 minute ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Thatch can rebound, but between Gibson, Jacobs, Thatch and Hargrove we will find a way to replace some of Goodwin’s rebounding. I think Collins will become more of a scorer next year as well.

My bad I forgot about Thatch, sorry Fred.

I agree we saw it from Yuri against NC State.

8 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Plus, CB, if the 3 leave as projected then we will have 3 new players and from some speculation I have heard 3rd hand, one or two of those might be transfers who can step in and play a significant role next year.  I don't think Ford is going anywhere, he and his family love St. Louis.

CBFan likes this

My take on the article as it relates to SLU’s recruitment is that right now SLU can afford to be selective at that position.  I think ford and company are looking for high impact guys.  They thought Nesbit had the talent to contribute right away, but we missed out.  If you’re big game hunting for four star studs, you’re going to have to pass on some three star guys...

and im not at all saying three star guys can’t be just as good or even better than the picks of the litter.

CBFan likes this

11 hours ago, CBFan said:

Nothing against your post, CBFan, but I always smile when basketball fans talk about "replacing players". Do you really replace players or do you take your best five and put them out on the floor.  Last season we started Bell, Jacobs, French, Goodwin, and Collins.  This season is it Perkins, Jimerson, French, Goodwin and Collins.  So did we "replace" Bell with Perkins, or did we simply start Perkins over Bell.  They certainly have vastly different skill sets.  If we were looking to replace Bell, wouldn't Linssen have been a better replacement; a more similar player?  Same with Jimerson replacing Jacobs.  Was it a replacement or a different way of handling the offense.  For me, Ford simply shuffled the deck and has his new starters.  Yeah, it is just terminology, but for me, you never replace, you simply move on with what you have.

I also am not ready to give French's minutes to Okoro.  Linssen has been a pretty good player.  I assume Okoro will be the better defender of the two, but I also assume Linssen will be the better offensive player of the two.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Nothing against your post, CBFan, but I always smile when basketball fans talk about "replacing players". Do you really replace players or do you take your best five and put them out on the floor.  Last season we started Bell, Jacobs, French, Goodwin, and Collins.  This season is it Perkins, Jimerson, French, Goodwin and Collins.  So did we "replace" Bell with Perkins, or did we simply start Perkins over Bell.  They certainly have vastly different skill sets.  If we were looking to replace Bell, wouldn't Linssen have been a better replacement; a more similar player?  Same with Jimerson replacing Jacobs.  Was it a replacement or a different way of handling the offense.  For me, Ford simply shuffled the deck and has his new starters.

I also am not ready to give French's minutes to Okoro.  Linssen has been a pretty good player.  I assume Okoro will be the better defender of the two, but I also assume Linssen will be the better offensive player of the two.

A healthy Okoro will be a matchup nightmare in the A10.  Too quick in the post for anybody his size and too strong and springy for a smaller player to guard.

17 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

A healthy Okoro will be a matchup nightmare in the A10.  Too quick in the post for anybody his size and too strong and springy for a smaller player to guard.

I hope you are right.  Mr. Linssen and Mr. Okoro will determine who gets the majority of the playing time in practice, next season.  I guarantee Mr. Linssen won't roll over and concede without a fair fight.  But, let's enjoy this season first!

28 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Nothing against your post, CBFan, but I always smile when basketball fans talk about "replacing players". Do you really replace players or do you take your best five and put them out on the floor.  Last season we started Bell, Jacobs, French, Goodwin, and Collins.  This season is it Perkins, Jimerson, French, Goodwin and Collins.  So did we "replace" Bell with Perkins, or did we simply start Perkins over Bell.  They certainly have vastly different skill sets.  If we were looking to replace Bell, wouldn't Linssen have been a better replacement; a more similar player?  Same with Jimerson replacing Jacobs.  Was it a replacement or a different way of handling the offense.  For me, Ford simply shuffled the deck and has his new starters.  Yeah, it is just terminology, but for me, you never replace, you simply move on with what you have.

Good points HP.

I do not articulate as well as many posters on this site.

Your points are well taken so our coach has plenty of good players to field a good starting 5 and bench support.  Moving on after the big 3 leave because the team’s play won’t be as good is ludicrous because of the players that will be back and the players that might commit.

Under coach Ford it is different he can reload and have good teams each season.  This season should be 3 consecutive seasons our team wins 20 plus games.

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I hope you are right.  Mr. Linssen and Mr. Okoro will determine who gets the majority of the playing time in practice, next season.  I guarantee Mr. Linssen won't roll over and concede without a fair fight.  But, let's enjoy this season first!

There is plenty of PT for both (and Jimmy Bell too).  Okoro won't get nearly the volume of minutes that French has gotten.  Without Perkins and Goodwin, we may play more "tridiagonal" 2 big lineups because we won't have a guard with Perkins's size or Goodwin's rebounding ability.  Don't get me wrong think we'll still play plenty of smaller lineups with perhaps Hargrove or maybe Strickland as the 2nd "big". We could see Lorentsson as a stretch big as well.

I agree that you usually don't just plug and play "replace" one guy with another, but I also think we're in decent shape overall when these seniors graduate because we have guys ready to step into bigger roles.

HoosierPal likes this

12 hours ago, CBFan said:

Don’t forget Lorentsson. A 6’8” sniper can be a big help. 

bauman likes this

I suspect a transfer or two next year with the pt being a major factor. Goodwin, French and Perkins could all stay another year if they aren’t ready for the big leagues. Not sure they want to do that but it is a possibility. Okoro coming in next year is a game changer. 

I honestly don’t see room for Bell on next years roster and even Our current bench. 

if the seniors do leave, Okoro and thatch have guaranteed starting roles with possibly Martin