Interview with Marten Linssen

zacvoynow

I think he's going to be a very pleasant surprise for us this year. He's experienced and knows how to cope better with D1 hoops speed and strength. Anyone have any feel for if he's a perimeter threat at all. He talked about his inside game, but a lot of the Euros can shoot it from downtown as well. Doesn't sound like he did much of this at UNCW, though. 

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I think he's going to be a very pleasant surprise for us this year. He's experienced and knows how to cope better with D1 hoops speed and strength. Anyone have any feel for if he's a perimeter threat at all. He talked about his inside game, but a lot of the Euros can shoot it from downtown as well. Doesn't sound like he did much of this at UNCW, though. 

I feel like I remember reading that he had a decent mid range game. But I don’t remember hearing anything about out to the arc. If he can come in and give us a legitimate post presence offensively and defensively while Has gets a break I think it’s an A+ signing. Mop up some fouls so we’re not in trouble. Grab some garbage buckets. Make a few post moves a game. Keep the offense moving when the ball hits his hands. I’m really excited to have an experienced and poised big man. Hope he turns out to be the player we hope

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Linssen has yet to take a 3 pointer in his college career across 54 games at Valpo and UNC Wilmington.  Therefore, I doubt he will be the kind of outside shooting threat / stretch big in the Rob Loe / Cody Ellis mold.  That being said, this website (https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?year=2020&t=Saint Louis&p=Marten+Linssen) shows that he shot 92 / 128 (72%) on dunks or at the rim and 42 / 95 (44%) on other 2 pointers last year.  43% of his shots were 2s that weren't at the rim or dunks.  For comparison in 2020, just 30% of Hasahn French's shots were 2s not at the rim or dunks and he made them at just a 33.3% rate.  Obviously a 2 point shot from 5 feet away and one from 20 feet away are hugely different and this metric lumps them all together.  However, I think there is some evidence in the stats that Linssen has a mid-range game that could help spread things out a bit (or at least more than French).

8 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Linssen has yet to take a 3 pointer in his college career across 54 games at Valpo and UNC Wilmington.  Therefore, I doubt he will be the kind of outside shooting threat / stretch big in the Rob Loe / Cody Ellis mold.  That being said, this website (https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?year=2020&t=Saint Louis&p=Marten+Linssen) shows that he shot 92 / 128 (72%) on dunks or at the rim and 42 / 95 (44%) on other 2 pointers last year.  43% of his shots were 2s that weren't at the rim or dunks.  For comparison in 2020, just 30% of Hasahn French's shots were 2s not at the rim or dunks and he made them at just a 33.3% rate.  Obviously a 2 point shot from 5 feet away and one from 20 feet away are hugely different and this metric lumps them all together.  However, I think there is some evidence in the stats that Linssen has a mid-range game that could help spread things out a bit (or at least more than French).

He has great finesse and touch around the rim. That being said, i know he can shoot from the outside. Has really nice form. UNCW’s coach didn’t want him too. 

Linßen will play more than people realize this year. 

Last year, the ONLY way for SLU to play big was with both Bell and French. Otherwise it was Hargrove or Perkins at the 4. Perkins at the 4 is probably a key component of SLU's best lineup, don't get me wrong. But in games where Ford wants to play big, French/Bell don't both need to be out there. If one is struggling or in foul trouble, Linßen can come in and play either position. He's a solid rebounder and post-scorer with nice touch. He will help us win games. 

And in 2021-22, French and Perkins are gone. He'll continue to play the same role with Okoro and Bell likely to start. That gives Ford a ton of leverage recruiting. He doesn't need another big, but can also take a swing at a diamond in the rough or wait for a 2022 big.

• 1 month later...

I thought Linssen was the best person on the 2016-17 Valpo team. He brought a lot of energy. He was really raw and had a lot about NCAA basketball to learn. He was behind Rik Smits kid Derrik Smits and thought he wouldn't get any playing time. So he transferred to UNCW. There were very few games he played in where he didn't get 3 or 4 fouls in a half. 

12 hours ago, bbtds said:

I thought Linssen was the best person on the 2016-17 Valpo team. He brought a lot of energy. He was really raw and had a lot about NCAA basketball to learn. He was behind Rik Smits kid Derrik Smits and thought he wouldn't get any playing time. So he transferred to UNCW. There were very few games he played in where he didn't get 3 or 4 fouls in a half. 

And now he’s a major contributor on a team that is better than any team Valparaiso has ever had. Good move by Marten