SLU Women Stop Activities Due to Covid

HoosierPal

24 minutes ago, kshoe said:

They are going to put all the teams in one city, not a bubble.

I don't think they are planning on the near perfect bubble that the NBA did where teams go in, sit in quarantine for 2 weeks before doing anything and only then start to practice and play. The NBA struggled to find space to do that for ~20 teams and did it at incredible cost in Orlando. The NCAA needs space for 68 teams. I'm sure precautions will be taken once they all arrive in Indy but it is inevitable that someone in the ~1,700 or so people involved (25 per team x 68 teams) is going to test positive as they are going to have much looser guidelines than the NBA did at Disney World.

The NCAA tournament must be played. If the vaccine hasn't taken hold and the chances of infection are still high then the teams will be in a bubble.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Vaccination is the only answer.  And I read where 39% of Americans will refuse to take it.  The first round of vaccines is likely starting this week or next. I suspect ample progress will be made by the time March/May rolls around.

I agree vaccination is the key. But the reality is that by March essential service and people over 55 (just a guess on the number) will be the only ones that have it. I highly doubt the NCAA will be able to provide vaccinations to otherwise healthy 18-22 year old athletes. Hopefully common sense will apply and strict quarantines can ease once the most vulnerable are protected but I have my doubts that public policy, and more importantly NCAA policy, will move quickly enough with the improvement in case loads.

11 minutes ago, DOC said:

The NCAA tournament must be played. If the vaccine hasn't taken hold and the chances of infection are still high then the teams will be in a bubble.

Unless there is a complete shutdown similar to last March the NCAA tournament will be played, the coaches and ADs have made that perfectly clear. It may be played with fewer than 68 teams, they may adopt a format similar to the The Basketball Tournament (TBT) where if you have positive tests you are eliminated from the tournament, who knows. The other thing we know for sure is that the NCAA is determined to get that 350 odd million dollars the tournament generates and will go to extreme lengths to make it happen.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

In all seriousness, how is the NCAA possibly going to have a tournament at the end of the year if ~15% (about 85% of teams are currently active) of the teams that would otherwise be eligible aren't going to be allowed to play if a single person in their travelling party tests positive? If the tourney is in the final 4 week and one of the assistant coaches tests positive, that team is going to be disqualified from playing in the Final 4 game?

They have got to come up with a better process than forcing a quarantine on an entire team for one positive result and instead let teams test out of it, more akin to what the NFL is doing.

Part of the issue is that you have League Rules, NCAA Guidelines, and then local and state mandates.  It's a mess.  What one team has/can do doesn't match what another can do.  Look at Stanford right now.  They can't practice or play at home.  It has nothing to do with NCAA or Pac 12 rules.  It's the CA local and state mandates prevailing.  Some teams seem to be at 10 day quarantine, some at 14, and the Big 10 still at 21.  Crazy. 

I totally agree that the NCAA will have to figure out how to handle this.  All we know for sure is that Syracuse will get an NCAA bid, no matter what their record is.  Boeheim has pictures of someone, and has an auto pass to the tourney.

billiken_roy likes this

5 hours ago, cheeseman said:

So if you don't test then the virus does not exist - really?

I know MANY people, who got antibody tests, and came back positive. So they had the virus and never even knew it. This virus is not a big deal to a bunch of athletes who monitor everything about their bodies and health. If coaches are older/vulnerable then maybe they need to quarantine. But the teams should be able to practice and play even if it is with an assistant coach etc. This shutting down the whole team because of 1 positive test is insane. 

billiken_roy and kshoe like this

9 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

I know MANY people, who got antibody tests, and came back positive. So they had the virus and never even knew it. This virus is not a big deal to a bunch of athletes who monitor everything about their bodies and health. If coaches are older/vulnerable then maybe they need to quarantine. But the teams should be able to practice and play even if it is with an assistant coach etc. This shutting down the whole team because of 1 positive test is insane. 

-might be your best post, especially that part

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

I agree vaccination is the key. But the reality is that by March essential service and people over 55 (just a guess on the number) will be the only ones that have it. I highly doubt the NCAA will be able to provide vaccinations to otherwise healthy 18-22 year old athletes. Hopefully common sense will apply and strict quarantines can ease once the most vulnerable are protected but I have my doubts that public policy, and more importantly NCAA policy, will move quickly enough with the improvement in case loads.

And even if a player were to receive the vaccine, the second dose would be administered roughly a month after the first.

1 hour ago, mrjoelabs said:

I am not trying to make a point advocating shutting down but I don't think French would say it's no big deal. 

42 minutes ago, willie said:

I am not trying to make a point advocating shutting down but I don't think French would say it's no big deal. 

wasnt aware french's grandma and aunt were going to play college basketball this year.  

BIG BILL FAN, mrjoelabs and SLU200 like this

I know it seemed to effect Has, but that is an outlier. Most people of his demographic would not be. It seems that certain people are genetically predisposed to suffer more. But that is a small percentage. His grandma passing is a tragedy, but obviously the elderly are at high risk.  I am no conspiracy theorist saying the virus is fake, but life (and basketball) has to go on, unless we all want to live in a plastic bubble. Let the immune system do its job, it is there for a reason. 

billiken_roy likes this

35 minutes ago, willie said:

You do know that French had it and struggled for several weeks. 

I literally just got over it. I'm a 27-year-old former college athlete (no big deal) and it kicked my ass for three weeks. Hasahn French is one of the most in-shape people on the planet. Its amazing to me people still downplay this thing.

3 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

The antibodies test has had a reputation of being inconsistent.  I know people who had COVID and their antibodies test came back negative.  To say too much testing is the problem is just wrong.  If you want to talk about the steps that the NCAA is requiring when COVID is detected needing to be reexamined then fine.

2 hours ago, willie said:

You do know that French had it and struggled for several weeks. 

he wasnt in the hospital or died.  basically had flu or mono imo which is what most of the chinese flu virus has been.   before you tell me about 250k deaths, subtract, cancer, heart conditions, diabetes, obesity, the flu, and pneumonia before giving me the number.   thanks   i will refrain from commenting again.  

dennis_w likes this

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

he wasnt in the hospital or died.  basically had flu or mono imo which is what most of the chinese flu virus has been.   before you tell me about 250k deaths, subtract, cancer, heart conditions, diabetes, obesity, the flu, and pneumonia before giving me the number.   thanks   i will refrain from commenting again.  

On this subject Promise. 

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Thanks. Don’t need to hear your opinion on this again. 

28 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I can't believe you posted this.  You should express your personal opinions to Mr. French. 

38 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

before you tell me about 250k deaths

It's actually up to 286k deaths now.  At least one of the players on our team lost a loved one to this thing.  I realize this is likely difficult, but this is a situation where you should just avoid posting on the topic and move along.  Honestly - all of us should.

A large majority of the players on our team fall into a demographic group that is disproportionally getting COVID and dying from it: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid19-racial-disparities.  They should be taking it seriously. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

51 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

It's actually up to 286k deaths now.  At least one of the players on our team lost a loved one to this thing.  I realize this is likely difficult, but this is a situation where you should just avoid posting on the topic and move along.  Honestly - all of us should.

A large majority of the players on our team fall into a demographic group that is disproportionally getting COVID and dying from it: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid19-racial-disparities.  They should be taking it seriously. 

this discussion started on this thread yesterday.  you are a little slow asking for no discussion.   

3 hours ago, Littlebill said:

I literally just got over it. I'm a 27-year-old former college athlete (no big deal) and it kicked my ass for three weeks. Hasahn French is one of the most in-shape people on the planet. Its amazing to me people still downplay this thing.

Just stop!!!! Where are the suspensions moderators???? Should we just turn this into a health forum???? 

HenryB likes this